• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M1008 and a Gazillion questions

reeddavid

The guy I bought it from knew it was going to be my first truck, so he gave me a break! I was watching youtube videos, and its kindof sad the number of people that really beat on these awesome CUCV's, but then again they were built to do that. My truck is going to be strictly road and show

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 16.5x8.25 rims on it are quite a find these days. Save a few pennies and later put on the radial tires, they are quite an improvement. All in all you seem to have a solid truck to work with.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rims are 16.6" in diameter and 8.25" bead to bead.

The tires maybe 12.5", rib to rib (total width), not bead to bead.

Haha, No problem. I'm constantly looking around on Wis CL (just to window shop). If I had the $$$ I would've bought that truck, so I figured I'd let you know seeing as it was in the Door County area, and already had some of the mods you were looking to do.

Did you/your dad drive it home, and how did it ride? Those old bias ply hummer tires can get flat spots from sitting... or occasionally just be bumpy in general and next to impossible to balance. My 1009 had those tires on when I got it, it rode like crap, I traded them to a guy for 35" BFG's. He was just gonna use them on his trail rig. I would imagine the 37" radial Humvee tires would be a huge improvement.

Skinny

I wouldn't say the Goodyear MT is a huge improvement, they have drawbacks to. From experience they do not have great wet traction and suck to balance. On the plus they are a great multipurpose tire that wears like iron. The only reason I bought mine is my rig sees very little usage so I didn't want lots of money wrapped up in dry rotting rubber. If I used my rig everyday and didn't want the wobbly unbalanced tire shake with a utility box waving at me doing 60mph, I'd probably spend some coin on a modern set of tires.

reeddavid

No its all there, and I drove it home 50miles from Denmark. Your right the tires do kind of mess with the handling, but not bad. I took it in my field after and I'd say it handled better there, probably because there is more give. What do you guys recommend for on road driving year round, and best mpg. I wont do off road, and if it is, its slow on flat dirt.

llong66

To your original question on cup holder, I have the contractor box that I think it was recovery4x4 mentioned, VERY nice! I got mine off ebay for $37 plus shipping, exact same thing LMC sells for around $90 I think it is, so do some looking and save a few $$ for other goodies!! VERY nice looking truck! Congrats!!

reeddavid

What tires then do you guys recommend for it, I know I already asked about the m1009. I will be on the road only, and if I am off road its flat dirt. So, maby a tire for mostly on road, can handle snow.

For road tires, you would be better off switching to 16" rims. Far more options (and cheaper too). Falken Wildpeak AT have sizes up to around 36" (325/80R16) and have a pretty mild tread design. And there are plenty of less aggressive modern tires in 315/75R16 sizes (34.5") on tirerack.com at decent prices.

I would either use the tires until they're ready to be changed, then find a set of cheap 16" 8-bolt steel wheels and buy new tires. Or try trading them for different tires on craigslist if you really can't handle them.

Do you know what kind of mechanical stuff has been replaced on the truck by the previous owner? Or anything that it needs worked on?

reeddavid

Well, like I said my dad and grandpa are mechanics, my grandpa specializes on diesel motors. There is nothing at all on great truck that needs to be replaced.

The previous owner did a lot. New fuel pump, batteries, glow plugs, starter, everything to do with the fuel system including the tank, rebuilt both alternators, fresh paint, bed lined cab and box, new windsheild , tinted doors, new dual exhaust, new rear window, awesome cap it and much more.

He also threw in paint, skid plate for fuel tank, guys number for getting parts, tons of expensive fuel additive, extra rear window, he installed a radio and speakers air compressor for rear end when hauling uneven loads, block heater, blanket for over engine in winter, spare tire.

I am planning on keeping the tires, and the tires are so cheap as it is I might just get another set.

MarcusOReallyus

Well, like I said my dad and grandpa are mechanics, my grandpa specializes on diesel motors. There is nothing at all on great truck that needs to be replaced.

The previous owner did a lot. New fuel pump, batteries, glow plugs, starter, everything to do with the fuel system including the tank, rebuilt both alternators, fresh paint, bed lined cab and box, new windsheild , tinted doors, new dual exhaust, new rear window, awesome cap it and much more.

He also threw in paint, skid plate for fuel tank, guys number for getting parts, tons of expensive fuel additive, extra rear window, he installed a radio and speakers air compressor for rear end when hauling uneven loads, block heater, blanket for over engine in winter, spare tire.

All that for $3250???? aua

I hate you.

:mrgreen:

Seriously, ya done good! :beer:

Skinny

I wouldn't chase after fuel economy with a cucv, they have very inefficient transmissions and gearing (other than the M1009). Your best bet is to just your tire package up the way you want it, size them according to what type of driving you want to do, and run it. The 6.2 is very economic but you will never see great numbers unless you start talking overdrive and lockup coverters or a manual trans. which require a big chunk of change.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the repairs and parts are worth around $2000. You did good.

JSF01

cup holder.jpgThis is what I did for a cup holder. It's cheep, effective, no permanent alterations, and takes all of 2 seconds to do. You will want tie the two sides together because of the slight angle, the weirder shaped 20 oz bottles, or extra large /tall cups could fall out otherwise.

Last edited:

reeddavid

What is this thing, I tryed searching only got glow plug things. It is the plug inside the cab under the dash? Thanks for answering my dumb questions!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks