• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M1009 CUCV!

caladin

From post 36

what are the things in the first picture from the left bottom?

what are the things 4th picture from the left top?

SGT Estum

I would leave the bus bars there because they aren't hurting anything. You could run accessories back there (e.g., a power inverter) or you could potentially relocate a battery to that spot if you need room under the hood. If you look around the forum some guys have made use of them for things other than running military radios.

flyboi__01

Ok boys here's the deal. I just got my 1009 from Nellis last week, sorry no post until now and I promise I will upload pics. The short and skinny is that no, Nellis is not banging up your rigs intentionally. Mine came with no holes. The best thing to do is just get it on a trailer or have it shipped home on an 18 wheeler. I calculated how much it was going to be for the hassle of driving to Nellis from El Paso and tailering it home it came out to be $100 less than having it shipped. Needless to say I had it shipped. The caveat to that is I had safe auto care go and pick my vehicle up and Nellis, tow it to their shop, look over every part and charge the batteries for me. Only $100. I called around to a couple of auto transporters and had the truck shipped to me for $450. The auto transporters picked my truck up right from safe auto care. If you decide to do that I will tell you to just let them do the check and YOU do the work, way less expensive. So far I have changed my oil with Rotella 15W40, new filter, new fuel filter, both alternator belts, added sea foam to the tank and plopped in a new fram air filterand the truck runs great. The tires have great tread but are very dry rotted. So far only maybe $95. Also if you do not have a key either ask one of the guys or gals on the forum to cut you a copy (I made 5) or ask safe auto care to sell you one. I will post a detailed run down on my buying and restoring experience here soon, but I hope I gave you a little bit of what to expect in the best case.

ratspawn

Not to hijack the original posters thread, but I too just took delivery (yesterday) of my first CUCV from the sales event at Nellis. I am a total noob to all this, as evidenced by the fact this is my first post. My EUC cleared a LOT quicker than I was expecting and sort of caught me off guard – i thought I had a couple months to research stuff and figure out the best way to do a recovery and get it off base. I’m local so I ended up just getting a local tow company to bring it off base for me. I can attest to what flyboi_01 said though that the rig is not busted up in any way. In fact, it was fully charged, all the fluids were topped off and clean, it had almost a full tank of fuel, and it turns over and starts up in like half a second. No rust either. Like I said I’ve never done this before and didn’t know what to expect, but so far i am very pleased and excited about this project. Here’s a few pics of the first day.

Attachments

Oldsouthernboy

As for the buss bars, replace and rewire the cable from the front battery to the postive bar in the rear only. That will give you 12 volts to come off for a radio, cb ETC. This will save a lot very bad words when you start to run power ports, Radios, and CB's .

caladin

Not to hijack the original posters thread, but I too just took delivery (yesterday) of my first CUCV from the sales event at Nellis. I am a total noob to all this, as evidenced by the fact this is my first post. My EUC cleared a LOT quicker than I was expecting and sort of caught me off guard – i thought I had a couple months to research stuff and figure out the best way to do a recovery and get it off base. I’m local so I ended up just getting a local tow company to bring it off base for me. I can attest to what flyboi_01 said though that the rig is not busted up in any way. In fact, it was fully charged, all the fluids were topped off and clean, it had almost a full tank of fuel, and it turns over and starts up in like half a second. No rust either. Like I said I’ve never done this before and didn’t know what to expect, but so far i am very pleased and excited about this project. Here’s a few pics of the first day.

did it come with those guns :wink:

caladin

As you can see alot of rust and abrasion..

Attachments

Boreal21

Great.

I just won a 1009 from Nellis. Anyone nearby that can take a look at mine to see if it has holes punched all over it?

Why on earth would they do that anyway?
Have you recovered yours yet? I'm headed to Nellis tomorrow to pick up 3 trucks. I could try to check on yours to see if it's been violated :evil:

Fleg

Have you recovered yours yet? I'm headed to Nellis tomorrow to pick up 3 trucks. I could try to check on yours to see if it's been violated :evil:

Just picked it up last week. No issues at all.

You guys that are having a shipping company pick them up from Nellis for you have no idea how lucky you are if they are not damaged. They were loading a few 1009's while we were there and you guys should really check your drive shafts. I'll just say, the guy who was doing all the loading onto the trailers didn't really care where those forklift tines went and he bent at least one shaft while I was there. I'm very glad I went and picked mine up!