• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M220 soon to be camper

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys are giving me such a hard time, I'm actually wondering if I do owe him money?
Seriously, How much for the Manifolds and carbs?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scored some new parts today. Half of a PTO shaft, PTO lockout, a pair of good taillights and mounts, a pair of bumper tins and a single rear clevis. $40 form Swanson Salvage Blair, Wisconsin. Here is the truck the parts came from. I see the plug is missing on the bell housing and it has brackets welded on the frame for a snowplow. I assume the trans went. The Winch is gone. but the PTO is there. Truck looks otherwise complete. He is going to tell me what he wants for the bed and tailgate next week.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My assumption is the trans went out. The cover is off the torus/flywheel. Otherwise it is old dirty and growing trees and weeds out of the cab and bed. I estimate 20 years of dirt and vegetation. Hard on the floors. Has the rust bubbling where the sides of the cab meet the floor coming thru. too bad

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back at it. the left door hinge was froze when I got the truck. Had to take the door off and work them one by one. When I did the inside a few years ago I did not prep a few spots that were sanded to bare metal. The result was rust thru the latex. We are sanding the rusty spots and priming them. We are also removing the screens for repair.

Attachments

USMC 00-08

That looks like a neat project.

maccus...just noticed the truck in your avatar. Are you hiding something from us? I don't see any posts\photos about that truck from you if you own it.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The M34 you see in my avatar I did in 1999 or 2000. Sent it off to Ogden in about 2004 or so. Went to the museum there. The truck had been a WY wildfire tanker and was kept inside for many years. Absolutely not a spec of rust on it.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm working on a camper remodel. I decided to rework the bunk bed first. Instead of twin over twin I cut the top down to 30"' deep for a 4" custom size foam mattress. With 4" foam mattresses the top bunk can be lowered so the windows can be opened. Also the narrower top bunk makes it so the bottom bed serves as a step and no ladder is needed. The carpentry is not perfect. The old is being reused to conserve on money. The plan is to place it in the truck this weekend and rework the table and booth and get a feel for what room we have.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get into is not my problem, it is the get out. I always sleep with my head on the higher side so when I wake up to P at night I'm all confused. No idea where to step. Had a close call this summer when I got my hand on the edge of the mattress and the edge coils were not as stiff as the ones in the middle. It felt like it gave away. The only thing that kept me from going over face first was my leg hit the roof and tumbled me back. Maybe I need to install some footman loops and a PROPS net from a M151.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After years of struggling with fuel related problems I decided it is time to solve the problem. I can't count how many times the tank has been cleaned and fuel pumps rebuilt, replaced and repaired, filters replaced, leaks fixed, and carb cleaned. I ordered a shiny new aluminum 15 gallon fuel cell, pump and regulator. I plan to add an aftermarket gauge as well. Maybe I could make the original one work, but I'm done banging my head. The truck has been so unreliable I cannot take it out of the yard. It needs to see some new camping territory. I'm unsure where the cell will be mounted. I may dummy a tank and sneak the cell inside or if I can get it between the frame somewhere and still get fuel in it I will do that. I guess worst case is it goes under where the old tank came out, but I prefer to mount something else there. Friday will be the day I decide.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks