• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my new m35a2

fasttruck

Reference post 35; a biggy in the oil can lubrication department is the drum lock for the winch. This is a spring loaded pin that engages the drum to prevent it from rotating while driving and paying out the cable at 40 mph. Naturally you are going to store the winch with the drum clutch disengaged so the pto can't accidently engage and damage the winch or the cable. Plus the next time you are going to use the winch you will probably want to free spool the cable out. The pesky drum lock if it is not regularly used and oiled will rust itself into a frozen state of resistance just when you really need to use the winch as when the truck is stuck up to the headlights in mud. Naturally too you will be carrying several spare authorized aluminum shear pins and a hammer and punch required to change out broken pins. This is also a character building exercise when the truck is stuck up to the headlights in mud.

fasttruck

Another item required for a winch equipped truck is a snatch block. The OVM list for a winch equipped truck authorizes 1ea snatch block and utility chain to attach the block to suitable bomb proof anchors. If you truck has 1/2" cable then a block with a 6" sheave is required. Such a block will have side plates and a hook equal to the load a winch with a 1/2'" can generate. Bigger is ok but smaller no.

HN6

I ran the winch today. Works great.

Not realated to the winch... what is this in the picture?

Thanks
I found out what this is for. It was designed for arctic climate and a canister slid into the cylinder (surefire heater) and it would plug into outlet on fender and warm up the coolant in the engine. Warmed the tube and the coolant flowed around the jacket. Talked to Gary's Trucks in Anchorage and he told me about them... says they were junk and to just remove it because it is impossible to find the cylinder that goes inside.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, so the drum stays dry - no coolant comes out when you open the large cap. So this is like an oversized electrical coolant heater with a removable electric heater cartridge that does not work well and is impossible to find. Too bad, I liked the coffee maker theory!

Dipstick

Elk1111 may have a point...when I showed up with my Qeen Lola I found myself doing a kitchen reno very shortly thereafter. When I obtained my 8v71 Detroit Kenworth this year I did the bathroom (just finished). There is a pattern here of in kind retribution!
Better watch out!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
8v-71 Kenworth now yer talkin! 13sp? Hey, do you add in the kitchen reno to the "true cost of owning a Deuce"?

Dipstick

No, RT-910 10 speed. The true cost of owning a Deuce does include incidental costs of keeping the spouse happy!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
RT-910 huh! That should mean it's direct in 5th high range otherwise known as 10th. I believe the RTO-10 was the overdrive version. I used to drive a s/a White 4000 that had a 6-71 and an RT-910. I loved driving that little guy. I was divorced before I bought Brutus, so I don't add lawyers fees into the total.

HN6

Took the title to the DMV today. Left the air valve open the other day while in the shop all day and black sludge came out.... Today after draining air tank confirmed it was oil. First tank was all water. I will check the filter or add that to the growing list of items to do. The wheels are done so now time to plug about 4 holes I have found on the tires I got...

Attachments

Dipstick

Your Deuce is starting to look really nice! Love the winch! If that's all of the oil or sludge you got, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as your air pressure comes up in a reasonable amount of time. It could be the result of years of slight leakage past the compressor rings. It doesn't sound like the previous owner drained the tanks regularly if ever. I blow mine before and after every trip and sometimes in the middle if I'm making multiple stops.

HN6

Your Deuce is starting to look really nice! Love the winch! If that's all of the oil or sludge you got, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as your air pressure comes up in a reasonable amount of time. It could be the result of years of slight leakage past the compressor rings. It doesn't sound like the previous owner drained the tanks regularly if ever. I blow mine before and after every trip and sometimes in the middle if I'm making multiple stops.
Thank for the info. Air pressure seems to build fast and have not noticed any issues. I will keep an eye on the drains and see if it gets worse, better, or the same. The winch was a big bonus for sure.

dmetalmiki

Nice looking truck, You seem to have got 'deaIs to good to pass up'. Well done.
I have run 1200x20 tires on one of our Deuces, (Singled out on stock wheels) And it has behaved perfectly for over 12 years.

Nice cruise at reasonable R.P.M.s and about 17 miles to a gallon of 'Contam Fuel;.

HN6

Nice looking truck, You seem to have got 'deaIs to good to pass up'. Well done.
I have run 1200x20 tires on one of our Deuces, (Singled out on stock wheels) And it has behaved perfectly for over 12 years.

Nice cruise at reasonable R.P.M.s and about 17 miles to a gallon of 'Contam Fuel;.
I almost went the 12r20 route. Yes, there have been some good buys... only had go give $3000 for the truck but it is adding up fast...

71DeuceAK

I wanted to see something at Denali this year but COVID and myself moving back to Southeast and then to Illinois sort of killed any possibility of organizing that...

Dipstick

I wanted to see something at Denali this year but COVID and myself moving back to Southeast and then to Illinois sort of killed any possibility of organizing that...
Sometimes life's events have a habit for getting in the way don't they! What part of Illinois? I went to high school in Wheaton which is about 28 miles West of Chicago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks