• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new to me 002A's

dangier

Moved from new member section:
As my two new 002a's came as a light plant, they were both mounted on a M103-A3 trailer. Getting them off was fun... I won't go into detail.:smile: Did find the Army log books and they were last inspected in 1986. I am guessing that the hour meters showing 8 and 9 hours may have a remote chance of being correct. The knobs on the control panels have a shadow under them as they have set in one spot for a long time. Rest of panel is faded. The air filters show little use, oil is clean looking (I am going to change it anyway), fuel pumps and filters only have the old fuel gunk-no water or visible dirt. Inside of crankcase looks in new condition. The first fuel ip I pulled of is stuck (as I expected), so it is soaking in MMO. Tried to turn by hand and no go. How easy should the ip turn by hand? Fuel shutoff is moving, but does not feel like it is doing anything. I am trying to avoid tearing the ip down if I can. All fuel hoses are shot (dry rotted). Looking at replacements and tried removing an end and was able to get one apart. Don't know if the effort is worth it. Engine does turn over by hand ok.

Anyone aware of the value of the M103-A3 trailer? I do not have a use for it and plan to sell it. Tires are 9.00-20 and look new as they still have the mold marks on the tread.
David

danjrofpa

Dangier, The gear should spin very free by hand as should the shutoff. Did you pick that up in Delaware? If so, I was looking at that unit, looked as though it was in very nice shape.

1800 Diesel

Moved from new member section:
As my two new 002a's came as a light plant, they were both mounted on a M103-A3 trailer. Getting them off was fun... I won't go into detail.:smile: Did find the Army log books and they were last inspected in 1986. I am guessing that the hour meters showing 8 and 9 hours may have a remote chance of being correct. The knobs on the control panels have a shadow under them as they have set in one spot for a long time. Rest of panel is faded. The air filters show little use, oil is clean looking (I am going to change it anyway), fuel pumps and filters only have the old fuel gunk-no water or visible dirt. Inside of crankcase looks in new condition. The first fuel ip I pulled of is stuck (as I expected), so it is soaking in MMO. Tried to turn by hand and no go. How easy should the ip turn by hand? Fuel shutoff is moving, but does not feel like it is doing anything. I am trying to avoid tearing the ip down if I can. All fuel hoses are shot (dry rotted). Looking at replacements and tried removing an end and was able to get one apart. Don't know if the effort is worth it. Engine does turn over by hand ok.

Anyone aware of the value of the M103-A3 trailer? I do not have a use for it and plan to sell it. Tires are 9.00-20 and look new as they still have the mold marks on the tread.
David
On GL I've seen them go for $150-$200...private sales I've seen them sold for $250-$350.... The utility of that model is almost limited to the generator platform it is....other uses require more work than it's worth (my opinion, not necessarily others). I've seen the smaller model trailers go for more than that one, presumably because they're lighter and easier to tow...

dangier

They are more worn from exposure than running. Inside of the crankcase is spotless. Picked up a spool of hose this afternoon and plan to use the fittings for all new fuel hoses. Now if I can just get the ip cleaned up. The center button is pushed in all the way.

I was surprised how easily the M103 loaded and towed with my 14' homemade trailer. Held at 65-70 for 5 hours. Pulling with '06 Dodge 2500 diesel. Nice smooth ride!
David

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you find any problems with your IPs, I have a bunch of spare parts and one or two new IPs(worst case). Just post up or PM what you need. These are pretty stout units.

dangier

gimpyrobb-Many thanks for the offer. I may have to go into the ip pump. I was hoping that flushing it with MMO would help some. Don't think the fuel shutoff is opening at all. As soon as the pump fills the ip up, the pump deadheads and stalls. No flow. Going to let it sit a day or so while I finish cleaning and reinstalling the fuel system. Ended up with a nice clean fuel tank this afternoon. Used laquer thinner then acid cleaned the inside and then flushed with water. Used heat gun to warm up the tank to dry it out. Sure looks better than it did.
David

dangier

I think we have some progress. After working on the ip pump this morning, if freed up all at once. I did end up spraying penetrating oil in all openings I could find. Set the timing by the first method, then checked with the flow test and the pump was 90 degrees out. Rechecked and again I ended up 90 degrees out. Had to pull pump out 1/2 inch or so and move the pc mark back to center. I must of done this four or five times. The only thing that would catch and lock the pump is a groove parallel to the shaft center. Is it an actual hole or just the groove that locks the pump with a pin? I turned the gear all around and the only thing I saw was the groove that would hold the position.
Finished installing the new hoses and primed the fuel system. Got fuel through the pump to the injectors. How much fuel is supposed to be pumped at each stroke? I only noticed little spurts at the injector lines. No white smoke out the exhaust. Think the injectors are plugged. Anyone have a couple they want to part with?
I did get it to fire on wd40 (with glow plug disconnected). Sounded good, had 50+ oil pressure.
Comments?
David

storeman

The long groove is what you set the 1/8" drill bit butt into through the screw hole in the base. Spurts are small but when in a closed system and under extreme pressure. I don't know how it could fire with glow plug "removed" but you said "disconnected" Don't know what that means. If you got wd-40 into the chamber, how did it get there and last long enough to get an oil pressure reading if it is not passing from the IP through the injectors?
:?
Jerry

Jimc

a 1/8" drill bit in the hole on the pump will catch in the groove on the gear. also nothing removes old diesel gum and varnish like lacquer thinner. i would put some in a squirt bottle and run it through all your lines to make sure nothing is clogged. if your having problems with the injectors you are better off having them clean and tuned by a diesel shop. this way both are set to the right psi and spraying correctly. do you have fuel returning back to the tank? with the pumps on they should click slowly and you should hear the fuel returning in the tank.

haha jerry beat me to it!

dangier

storeman,
I set the drill bit but in the hole/groove and had to adjust back to the pc markings on the flywheel. Don't know how that happened, but had to do that several times. Once I got close on flow tests, I only had to move a tooth or two to make it right.
I disconnected the glow plug to prevent an explosion using wd40 in the intake to see if it would try to start. It did. The oil pressure reading is the engine oil pressure gauge reading.
Thanks,
David

dangier

Jimc,
Yes, I had fuel returning to the tank. Going to look everything over tomorrow from a different angle. Have no smoke so fuel is not getting to the cylinders (white or otherwise). Once I figure this out, I have another 002a in the same condition just waiting. Got tired of buying laquer thinner in the quart container, so bought a 5 gallon can the other day.
Thanks,
David.

storeman

"adjust back to the pc markings on the flywheel. Don't know how that happened, but had to do that several times. Once I got close on flow tests, I only had to move a tooth or two to make it right."

That is not the correct timing procedure as I know it. Flywheel adjustments are made in one direction only, no "back up" Pump teeth are not moved from the groove setting. Best review the TM. If flow test shows off on the flywheel marks, you likely have the wrong button, assuming I understand you correctly.
Jerry

dangier

storeman,
Kind of wondered on the timing issue. Will the button thickness being out make the timing out that far on the flywheel? Also, with the button being off the injectors still should be injecting fuel correct? Just out of time. While trying to start, I had no smoke, so I am looking at injectors and ip pump issues.... In addition, going to go over the pc mark on the flywheel again. With the heavy rust, I want to make sure I marked the right point.
Been spending all my time on this, got to address other issues around the house for a day or two.
Thanks,
David

dangier

storeman,
I see you are in Mathews County-went by your way a couple of weeks ago to Corolla, NC. Had a nice quiet week at the beach before the crowds come. Nice area.
David

Jimc

Each button will move the timing 1/2 mark on the wheel. Does it look like pointer has been moved or bent? Its a pretty accurate reading so that pointer needs to be dead on the money. If your not sure you should pull the valve cover and put a dial indicator on it to make sure all is correct. The procedure is in the tm. Pc mark is set at .128 before tdc.

You should never have to move the ip gear a tooth or two. It should be right on when you install it. If your timing is way out then you probably have a broken bowtie piece or plunger shaft in the pump. If the pump was stuck and the engine was rotated then those pieces are prob done for. Tear the pump down and check. Its not really difficult to do. I was leary at first too but once you get it apart there are not many pieces.

this is a very good thread
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?102043-mep002a-injector-pump

Last edited:

storeman

David,
Mathews County is God's country to me. No traffic lights in the county, 9500 boats, 8500 people or thereabout. At the end of the power grid though, so long outages are not uncommon.
Jerry

dangier

Jerry,
Pulled the injection lines off the ip. Primed and tried to start. Very little fuel coming out of the injection ports (read drop or two). Ip is now sitting on the bench.....

The flywheel pointer was painted in and is straight. Checked the flywheel markings again and all I see is "A, B, and PC".

We are in the northern Shenandoah valley (on the Shenandoah River-South Fork), and also consider it "gods country".

David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks