• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new to me 002A's

dangier

Nah, just reinstalled the old ip back into the original unit. Ought to put a zipper on it. It runs great, has slight smoking at 110% load (which I guess is normal). No smoke at 85% loading. Run the unit two hours. Ip leaking a little around the large o-ring on the ip head. As soon as I get the new and rebuilt ip,s, I will tear down this one and replace the o-rings at least. Good experience that I need.

steelypip

If your load is all resistive (PF=1) and you're below about 2000 ft elevation, you should see just a tiny wisp of white in the exhaust at 120% indicated load, presuming that the machine has been run hard long enough to get good and warm and burn all the deposits off. Mine basically doesn't smoke at all, although the scent of the exhaust changes a little as I work the set harder.

I have yet to do a proper overload test on my MEP-002A, mostly because I don't have enough resistance wired into my load bank yet. Probably worth mentioning again: these are cold-blooded beasts - oil temperature is slow to come up even when the set is loaded. I never run mine for less than 1/2 hour at a shot and I make sure I put at least a 50% load on it during a short run. Put a hand on the oil filter housing periodically during the run and you'll know when it has finally warmed up.

dangier

massey-Just two more to add to the numbers. Real happy with both.

steelypip-Unit #2 is putting out more fuel smoke than I think necessary. I am still seeing some at 85% indicated. May have a ring stuck? Ran good with 110% loading. Ran for two hours. Didn't run longer as I have a leak on the ip head o-ring. Plan to run a few more hours and see what happens. I dumped 1/2 gal of MMO into 4 gallons of fuel to see if it will loosen things up a little.

general audience-where is everyone finding the 7 1/2 amp circuit breakers for the main control panel? Searched and have not pinpointed the sources.

steelypip

massey-Just two more to add to the numbers. Real happy with both.

steelypip-Unit #2 is putting out more fuel smoke than I think necessary. I am still seeing some at 85% indicated. May have a ring stuck? Ran good with 110% loading. Ran for two hours. Didn't run longer as I have a leak on the ip head o-ring. Plan to run a few more hours and see what happens. I dumped 1/2 gal of MMO into 4 gallons of fuel to see if it will loosen things up a little.
Jimc's note about power factor is worth noting, but if you have two MEP-002As that are behaving differently with the same load, then it's logical to assume that undesirable differences are the fault of the generator, not the load. Yes, running it hard might fix the problem. Or it could be a stuck ring, or it could be a scored bore and excessive oil consmuption - check your crankcase sump after a couple hours' runtime at rated load.

Could also be valve clearance adjustment - we've had several reports here of that significantly improving performance and economy. Lastly, don't overlook checking the injection timing with the spill method.

dangier

steelypip-ran two hours today and seems to run good. I only noticed little (trace) smoke above 100% loading. Had already checked valve adjustment. Did not flow test the ip as it was originally on this machine. Going to replace as it has a leaking o-ring. Have a rebuilt ip on the way. I will do the flow test (spill) method and post back.

steelypip

Sounds like you're pretty close to perfect if the exhaust cleaned up after a couple hours of running. Like all engines everywhere, and particularly like all diesels, they like to be worked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks