• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new to me M1028

RobM36A2

Hi guys,

I've been on the site a bit longer, mostly in de Deuce section.

Recently accuired a M1028, fairly Original, no rust, with 41.000 miles on it.
Came complete with 4 chrome wheels+tires (still need to mount them) and a M101 trailer.

Just got plates and passed the road inspection, so I can drive around for a year.
The pictures are with the temporary plates for driving to the inspection.

The only issue to fix on short term, is a sort of death wobble. After driving over 2 small bumps everything started to shimmy and shake.
After slowing down to 10mph, it stopped and did not come back when accelerating back to 45mph.

Enjoy the pictures.

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

Lampen.jpg

M36-M101.jpg

RobM36A2

Cool, was looking for a dually, but walked onto this one. Has been repainted, rust repaired and been sitting for 5 or 6 years.
Turned on ingition, waited for the wait light to go out, crank and run within 2 seconds..

Only thing that doesn't work, are the BO lights. The switch for the blower is replaced by one in the ashtray.

RobM36A2

Been a while: Got the wobble, replaced wheels, draglink and steering damper. Looks like it's over.

To do: check the kingpin springs and bushings, hook up some driving/turnsignal lights on the rollbar and keep the tank full of diesel :driver:

Beretta92fs

So the drag link, damper, and wheel took the wobble out? My daughter. Was driving my M1008 and said she hit a pot hole. Described the exact same thing. Bump, wobble down to almost stopped and drove the rest of the way home. I've been driving it for three weeks since with no replication. Been waiting for someone else to have the same issue.

RobM36A2

The draglink and damper needed replacement, the damper was trashed, more like a bicycle pump than a damper, replaced with a rancho damper.
The joint on the draglink had a lot of side-to-side play. Replaced with a new one, wich I bought for too much money. (€65,-)
Those parts dealers overhere need the profit I think..

I am not sure it took it all out. Between 25 and 40 mph I still feel something shaking at random intervals. Not as bad as it used to be.
Next thing to check is still the kingpin springs and bushes.

I posted a picture of the wheel on another thread.

The mount for the winch is just a piece of U-shaped steel, bolted to the chassis.

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Today still a little wobbly, after driving, I heard a funny noise when i turnd the steering wheel..
After some looking and listening, I found out the steeringbox was a little loose.. Tightened the nuts and went for a testdrive.. WOW, what a difference..
Just need to balance the wheels and lined out, i think my ride will be very smooth again. [thumbzup]

Beretta92fs

That's scary! I was just under mine this afternoon looking to see if I had a block heater and checking drag links and found the steering bolts were loose in mine also!!!
Kinda dejavoodoo.

RobM36A2

Not loose-loose, but enough to make the whole box move when turning the wheel without engine running.
Maybe a good idea to check this every few weeks, especially when you drive a lot on bumpy roads.
Or pull them out 1 by one and put them back with locktite in the treads..

Beretta92fs

I'm going to put a steering box reinforcement kit on mine from ORD and Loctite at the same time. It's going to get a sure enough stress test once I get the 37" HMMWV wheels and tires on it next week.

RobM36A2

Again a little issue on the M1028. When driving, I can hear a sort of grinding, low tone whistling sound from the front.
It goes away each shift, but comes back when revs are going up. The noise varies with engine rpms, but when driving and I lift my foot, so the engine comes to idle, it stops completely, engine idling and car rolling, can't hear it.
Any one have any idea?

RobM36A2

I have to measure the bed if you really need to know, my deuce bible hasn't got the answer.
It is an M36a2, total length is 343 inches, compare that to the 278.3 from a M35a2
I Loaded the M1028 with a car lift and backing the deuce to it. Then drove it on.
To unload borrowed some ramps and drove of.

Also picked up a shelter last week:
Shelter-1.jpg

Shelter-2.jpg

The shelter has been sitting outside for a minimum of 10 years. When the door opened, a stale smell came out.
Found out it was empty, except for the 2 benches on the wheel wells. Also has carpet on the floor.
Even it stood outside for so long, all is in very good condition and bone dry on the inside.
My intention is to put it on my M101 trailer, but first I need to modify the trailer to make it fit.

Still can't make out what the strange noise is, the sort of grinding noise mentioned above.
Also had a death wobble (wobble free for 2 months) Steering box is still tight, wheels lined up, still need to inspect kingpin springs due to lack of time.

Last edited:

True Knight

I have to measure the bed if you really need to know, my deuce bible hasn't got the answer.
It is an M36a2, total length is 343 inches, compare that to the 278.3 from a M35a2
I Loaded the M1028 with a car lift and backing the deuce to it. Then drove it on.
To unload borrowed some ramps and drove of.
No need to measure, I was just wondering. How did the deuce drive with the CUCV loaded on it?

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Nice find Rob. The wobble could be a few things, after you work on the kingpin springs, check the wheel bearings. Also, I think there were a few other sticky threads, regarding death wobble and there were several items found and corrected by various members having similar issues. I have a M1009 but found a bad wheel bearing that was causing a rubbing/whining sound under drive train load. I also found one of my manual locking hubs was no fully disengaging when un-locked and because of that it was also causing some noise. (I know your does not have manual-locking hubs but wanted to illustrate that it could be more than 1 thing. Once both were corrected it was a drastic difference. It could be a number of things though. sorry for not having an exact solution.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks