• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new to me M1028

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Mine only made the noise when the drive train was under load, when I took my foot off of the peddle and was coasting, it went away/no noise. If the engine was revved it wouldn't do it, only under load/transmission/drive train engagement. I chased it for 3 weeks and finally put it on stands and found the wheel bearing and while working on that found the hub was not fully disengaged and was making noise. The hub was on driver side, the bearing was passenger side. The hub noise presented itself after the wheel bearing was changed as it was louder than the hub noise. I was able to get a new Warn locking hub within an hour and all was good after that.

RobM36A2

Thank you guys, will look into the bearings and locking hubs.
Under accelerating and steay speed, the noise is heard, as soon as there is no power on the driveline, it goes away.

M1009 Newbee: I do have the manual locking hubs, one side is an original, other side the warn version. Truck is all stock, except the wheels and rollbar.

After lining up the wheels, havent had a death wobble.. Had a terrible toe in.. after measuring, difference was 1.5 inch... now very little toe out.
I do have a little shimmy at 30 mph and about 53mph.

Last edited:

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

I hope it is that simple for you. Let me know how it goes. Even if that is not your issue, it sounds like you have two different hubs anyway and its probably best to keep them the same and at least you know they wont fail you when needed. My manual lockers were 59.00 bucks and it is a really easy swap. took 30 minutes. You will find that little things like this will pop up quite a bit, until you get things the way you want them, with the truck but they are real easy to work on and once everything is addressed they are a lot of fun.

RobM36A2

They sure are a lot of fun. Every dirt road I come across in my spare time, will be explored. Thank Chevy it has front and rear lockers :whistle:
Only not so sure about the prices overhere. Remember, I am in Europe. Across the big pond from you guys.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Rob, I feel your pain. some items are not cheap to begin with but should be easily found, at least in the states. getting items to Europe is a different story. There are a lot of good folks on this site that can offer some really good help and almost every part I have needed has been available from a member or easily found on a few common sites. So, at least you can have some comfort, that, if budget allows, you should be able to get anything you need. Good luck. Keep us updated when you finally find the problem.

RobM36A2

Tire inbalance, ccould be the case, unbalanced tires and some dried mud on the rims.

First, a weekend off. Saturday a drive to the ardennes, to drop off a re-enactor, then some army dumpyards to visit on the way home.
Sunday a military market and a fanclub day from my favorite band.

See yah!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks