• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New WMO Setup for the CUCV

Disciple

After reading many threads and pondering my setup, I finally bit the bullet and did it. I've been pretty interested in the idea for a number of reasons. First being half-price fuel, secondly better IP lube, third, I like pissing off crusty old hippie tree-huggers with my carbon boot-print black smoke pumping clatter beast!

I have a 55 gal drum with a hole in the lid and a corresponding hole in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket. I mounted a 4" floor drain in the bottom of the bucket and attached a short piece of 3" PVC to it. I then used a hose-clamp to attach a 1 micron bag to the PVC. In the top of the bucket I'm using a 75 micron pre-screener with some magnets dropped in it. At the bottom of the bucket around the drain I placed a magnet from a 12" subwoofer. THAT should do it. I then added a fuel/water separator as a final stage. This is also a 12 micron filter (I know that's backwards, but here's why) to catch any condensation from the tank or any unexpected goodies in the oil.

After some more thought I think I'm going to order longer 1 micron filters and some short 25ish micron filters then put the 25 inside of the 1 micron filter and clamp that to the PVC.

Since I live in the 'burbs and don't want a lot of attention with my setup, I can't get my truck close enough to directly fill from where my filter is. So, I dump the filtered oil into two 5 gal buckets I ONLY use for clean oil, which have spigots in the bottoms. Then when I'm running low on fuel I set the bucket on top of the saddle box of my truck and run a hose directly into the tank then haul butt over to the gas station to top off with diesel. Presto! This way I can also carry an extra tank's worth of filtered oil in my truck in case I need to refuel while away from home.

Right now everything is gravity-fed, but I plan to add a hand-pump at some point soon because I'm getting a whopping 6 minutes per gallon of flow! Ouch.

I bought a few extra 55 gal drums for storage and transportation. I bought a hand pump for transferring into my drums and from my drums into the filter.

I've run 1 1/2 tanks of 50/50 mix through it so far with great results. I swear the motor has quieted down a bit and feels like it's running more smoothly. I posted an ad on the web and within about 5 minutes had two different people tell me they had 100+ gallons each of free fuel they wanted to give me. I've spent the last two days going around collecting oil, people are giving me anywhere from 5-30 gallons each usually plus the two guys that had 100 gallons each. I now have a garage FULL of oil.

Don't tell the E.P.A., Fire Marshall, or DOT please!

Any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism???

That first pic is a little embarrassing. Looks like I was getting some nasty sludge from the bottom of my drum... Has been cleaned since!

Attachments

'48Chevy6

. . . . Right now everything is gravity-fed, but I plan to add a hand-pump at some point soon because I'm getting a whopping 6 minutes per gallon . . .

Any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism??? . . .
Props my earth saving friend. You've got it going on. Simple, functional, cheap.

You asked, so here's my take for simple changes to what you have.

1. When you get around to it, put a bulkhead with valve in the very bottom of big blue. Then, you can occasionally drain settled uglies out.

2. Add another spin on, install 5 micron absolute rated filter.

3. It looks like you're all about the 5's. Put four gallons of oil in a 5'er. Add three quarts of regular unleaded gas, blend well. Let set 24 hours (longer be better). Gently decant over into floor drain bucket. (You will be amazed at the settled crud in your blend bucket.)

4. Fill truck. Drive. Proceed past diesel pump without stopping.

5. Carry spare fuel filter for truck because the detergents in the WMO will clean your fuel system and clog your filter.

6. Ask any questions you like, just don't tell me I'm going to blow my truck up because although it may happen on the way to church this morning, it hasn't happened over the last seven thousand miles.

7. Enjoy, driving is fun again when you're doing it on sixty cents a gallon fuel cost.

8. Be open to change your system. At some point you will add pump(s) and change it all around. I would not design a system the way you have, but who you gives a poop about a fancy design when you are driving for almost nothing. Congratulations. You done good.

Tim

Last edited:

Disciple

Wow, thanks for the ideas. I like. Especially the one about the valve at the bottom of the drum.

I guess I always thought gas in a diesel was a big no-no. How does that work? It would help thin things out and increase my flow though. If I'm already into it this far, instead of mixing oil and gas in a 5'er, why not do it in my spare 55g drum and pump it off the top? Is the wait period just to let crud settle? What do you do to mix it? Long stick? It should be about 3 to 1 oil to gas mix? Will it stay mixed or re-settle and separate?

Also, is there a difference between my 1 micron filter and an "absolute" filter?

I did get an extra fuel filter and threw it under the seat yesterday. Lots of questions I know. I'm sure I'll have more.

Thanks

'48Chevy6

Wow, thanks for the ideas. I like. Especially the one about the valve at the bottom of the drum.

I guess I always thought gas in a diesel was a big no-no. How does that work? It would help thin things out and increase my flow though. If I'm already into it this far, instead of mixing oil and gas in a 5'er, why not do it in my spare 55g drum and pump it off the top? Is the wait period just to let crud settle? What do you do to mix it? Long stick? It should be about 3 to 1 oil to gas mix? Will it stay mixed or re-settle and separate?

Also, is there a difference between my 1 micron filter and an "absolute" filter?

I did get an extra fuel filter and threw it under the seat yesterday. Lots of questions I know. I'm sure I'll have more.

Thanks
I'll reply more later.

You get the filtering part. That's good.

The RUG in WMO scares smart people. It doesn't scare me.

Tim

'48Chevy6

Thanks
Straight gas in a diesel is a disaster. Gas, diesel, kerosene, ship bunker fuel, etc., all come from crude. We're just putting it back together as black diesel. It may not mimic all of the properties of D2, but we want it to burn like D2. My experience is in a PowerStroke 7.3. You've already "ruined" your truck by putting waste motor oil in it, continue the ruination and smooth out the process.

Forty five gallons of oil, seven and a half gallons of old stale low octane gas. I stick a pipe hooked to air line with one psi or so down in barrel and bubble it for a while.
Let set. The rug causes the detergent to let go of the contaminants and they sludge out to the bottom. (You could dump it into your truck at this point and drive on, but the fuel filter would clog in short order).

Using a pick up tube 2 or 3"s from the bottom, I pull it thru my filter rack. I have no patience for gravity, but use what you have in the interim.

The rug/WMO become one. They do not separate out. At least not before I burn it.

When I started, I was using household string wound filters and bag filters for processing. I could change a fuel filter on my truck in just four minutes. I got good because I kept changing them. Sometimes/oftentimes every tank, and I have two tanks on my truck. Now I change fuel filters at oil change time.

My spin on filters are absolute rated. Absolute in this case means more than 97% of particles over the specified size will be caught. The other filters I mention are "nominal" rated, meaning they will trap particles as small as a specified rating.

The bags and other nominal filters are great for veggie oil because it typically does not have the tiny micron stuff that we have in our WMO. I'm not talking bad about the bags, they just didn't work for me.

If you get your mix a bit thick, stop at the gas station and stick a gallon or so of gas in it.

I use WMO, ATF, Hydraulic Oil. Avoid water, anti freeze (the rug will help settle these), brake fluid, and gear oil. Gear oil will burn, but it only takes a little bit in the tank to make a continuos smoke at idle that is so obnoxious that even you will get made at you after a while.

Is your filter head a 2470? Or similar number?

Disclaimer for casual observers: This works in my truck, and my sons deuce. YMMV. If you're scared, don't do it. If you break something, don't blame me. If you're afraid you'll pollute the atmosphere, then don't shop at wal-world, because almost everything in that store was delivered on a freighter spewing the by-products of combusted WMO. At least I filter mine. If you do try it, don't tell all of your friends. That way there will be at least some of your friends that don't think you're insane.

Tim

Last edited:

Disciple

Thanks! My filter base is a Napa 4309. Do you know of an absolute 5 micron I could use with another of these or should I just get a different base and filter?

As for the mixing process: does it HAVE to be old gas or does new work as well? I have a little pancake air compressor I could do this with, would you mind describing the setup for your "bubbler"?

If I stick another spin-on 5 micron filter in between my 55gal and water separator, in essence I should be getting about the same process as you. I can then change my 1 micron bag to, say a 10 micron or so. That way I'll be depositing my newly acquired WMO in a 55 gal holding/mixing tank. Mix as you described with gas, let settle, then pump from 2-3" from bottom into 75 micron pre-screener, past the magnets into my new 10 micron bag. This would fill my 55 gal "filter" drum intil I'm ready to use. Then pump from there through the spin-on 5 micron and lastly through the separator and into the truck.

Right?

I should have been doing this a while ago! It's a bit of work, but it's actually pretty fun! I already love driving my truck but it's so much better with the added sense of accomplishment from making my own cheap fuel! Building the filter setup took almost no time at all and was also fun.

Since I'm going to already be using my air compressor for part of this setup, I'm now considering using it to drive my pump. I'm on a budget until this stuff starts to pay for itself. Any suggestions on a pump and necessary accessories to get me going?

'48Chevy6

Thanks! My filter base is a Napa 4309. Do you know of an absolute 5 micron I could use with another of these or should I just get a different base and filter?

As for the mixing process: does it HAVE to be old gas or does new work as well? I have a little pancake air compressor I could do this with, would you mind describing the setup for your "bubbler"?

If I stick another spin-on 5 micron filter in between my 55gal and water separator, in essence I should be getting about the same process as you. I can then change my 1 micron bag to, say a 10 micron or so. That way I'll be depositing my newly acquired WMO in a 55 gal holding/mixing tank. Mix as you described with gas, let settle, then pump from 2-3" from bottom into 75 micron pre-screener, past the magnets into my new 10 micron bag. This would fill my 55 gal "filter" drum intil I'm ready to use. Then pump from there through the spin-on 5 micron and lastly through the separator and into the truck.

Right?

I should have been doing this a while ago! It's a bit of work, but it's actually pretty fun! I already love driving my truck but it's so much better with the added sense of accomplishment from making my own cheap fuel! Building the filter setup took almost no time at all and was also fun.

Since I'm going to already be using my air compressor for part of this setup, I'm now considering using it to drive my pump. I'm on a budget until this stuff starts to pay for itself. Any suggestions on a pump and necessary accessories to get me going?
Keep the base you have now. Pick up a Napa 4770 (wix 24770). Different threads but it has two ports in and two ports out. It comes with plugs for the extra ports. We'll use the bonus ports for vacuum gauges later. These bases are often back ordered but try anyway.

Fresh pump gas is fine. Regular, low octane better than high octane.

48" x 1/2" PVC pipe, threaded on one end, adapt down (use elbow too) so that you can install male plug for air hose. I set the regulator to all but totally off. Attach air hose, just a little tiny bit of air makes plenty of bubbles. Big air, Big mess. You can also study characteristics of your blend as it bubbles - chocolate milk = water. Not to worry, it'll settle out.

Blend. Settle. One micron "nominal" bag. Big spin on with W/S. Five mic absolute. Storage tank. Then truck as needed.

Air pumps are the shizizzle for WMO. But forget about them for now.

You are going to make a converted SBC pump. You will eventually pull from your newly modified big blue using vacuum created by the sbc pump. Google "sbc bio pump" or similar.

Tim

Disciple

I'm half-way through my SBC pump mod/build. Installed the new 3/8" pipes for input and output, waiting for JB Weld to cure. Just need to settle on a good motor to run it and clean it out really well since I drilled through the case. Any suggestions there? Don't need metal shavings in my pump.

I'll pick up the new filter and base this week and get those installed, along with my bubbler pipe.

I'm actually considering building a second SBC pump. This one will be used for filtering and fueling the truck, the second would be for quickly transferring large volumes when picking up, then again to pump into my filter. Don't want to cross-contaminate.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome looking setup, I'm gonna have to try something along those lines if diesel prices don't come down appreciably in the next couple months....

Disciple

Thanks maddawg. Prices are certainly one good reason. My rig has already started to pay for itself. Another nice motivator/comfort is knowing that my EOTWAWKI/SHTF/GTFO/Bug-out vehicle has 200+ gallons of fuel right at my house waiting for me. That, and if things continue the way I'm pretty sure they will and we end up seeing Carter-esque gas lines and shortages, I'm sitting pretty. At least I'll be able to get to work (if it's still there) and make a few grossly under-valued bucks!

Last edited:

Disciple

Keep the base you have now. Pick up a Napa 4770 (wix 24770). Different threads but it has two ports in and two ports out. It comes with plugs for the extra ports. We'll use the bonus ports for vacuum gauges later. These bases are often back ordered but try anyway.

Tim
I ordered the 4770 base today, will be here in the AM. After half an hour of making the guy at NAPA dig though the catalogs, the best filter we could come up with was an 11" long 3 mic nominal. Do you have a P/N on that 5 mic absolute?

Also, what about these vacuum gauges? What did you use?

Thanks for all your help with this. I'm trying to get it all squared away before the weekend because I have a 16 hour (probably more in the CUCV) round trip road trip this weekend.

I tried about a 60% oil, 40% diesel mix today and the truck didn't seem to like it much. Sounded like it was chugging pretty hard at stops, harder to start, sluggish off the line. I have not changed my fuel filter yet though. Also, the heat index today was 138 degrees F. I realize those could all factor in, but was surprised at it, thought I could go richer before noticing much difference. I ended up adding 7 gallons of diesel to the tank and it improved.

How is your performance with your oil/rug mix? How does it start in the winter (realize I'm in Minnesota, regularly hits negative double digits for weeks at a time)? Anybody have any suggestions for a good cheap "winter blend"?

'48Chevy6

I ordered the 4770 base today, will be here in the AM. After half an hour of making the guy at NAPA dig though the catalogs, the best filter we could come up with was an 11" long 3 mic nominal. Do you have a P/N on that 5 mic absolute?

Also, what about these vacuum gauges? What did you use? . . . .

I tried about a 60% oil, 40% diesel mix today and the truck didn't seem to like it much. . . . .

How is your performance with your oil/rug mix? How does it start in the winter (realize I'm in Minnesota, regularly hits negative double digits for weeks at a time)? Anybody have any suggestions for a good cheap "winter blend"?
I don't run napa but start digging around Fil3674 and then check the specs on FIL3528. That should get you close. A 3 nominal typically gets you in the 10 abs range. Probably tighter than your current filter.

Vacuum gauges - picked up at the local ag store. Lets you know which filter in the series is clogging. Hint - when running multiple spin ons, we replace the 5 several times before the bigger ones get replaced. Skip the vacuum gauges for now.

How much diesel do you have to add to thirty weight motor oil to get it to the viscosity of diesel? Can you add enough at thirty degrees? At ten degrees? I doubt it.

My notes from last winter show that starting was difficult below ten degrees. Those notes also indicate that starting was "slower than summer" at eighteen degrees, but twenty three degrees was not a problem. That was 65% WMO, 25% D2, and 10% RUG. That was my sons deuce, no plug in, and I was keeping notes searching for the right blend. My 7.3 came on line in early March. Never a starting issue unless I get greedy and use too little rug. My 7.3 uses only the blends I mentioned earlier in this thread.

My sons summer deuce blend is 45 gallons WMO, 5 gallons RUG. He drives that thing everywhere.

Keep me posted.

Tim

Edit to add: Others have reported success in the 6.2 with a 40 gal WMO with 10 gal RUG. No personal experience here with 6.2, only passing along prior reading.

Last edited:

Disciple

Just returned to base from my mission to the North Woods. CUCV ran about 500+ miles round trip, fully loaded and pulling a trailer with two 4-wheelers on it. Ran my 50 gal WMO/ 7.5 gal RUG mix the whole way there and about 1/4 of the way back. It ran fine on the way up there but really felt doggish and weak pulling hills. Less power for sure. Not sure if it is the fuel filter or not, I did replace it before I left because it was clogged from running my 50/50 WMO/D2 mix before the trip. That was all from before I had added the new spin-on filter to my rack though. The new mix of 50 gal WMO, 7.5 gal RUG has all been run through the new spin-on.

When I got up there, starting was very difficult. It would take me about three tries to get it going and I would have to crank it a very long time. I also have my glow plugs on a manual switch. I shouldn't have to run my plugs at 90 degrees. I was pretty worried a couple of times. I ended up adding about 5 gal of D2 with a lot of cetane booster in it and that helped with starting. On the way back I was out of WMO and put in 14 gal D2 and she came right back to life. Started great, seemed to do better with the hills.

Don't know for sure if it was a filter issue or if I need to experiment with some different blends. Also, I'd really like the P/N to a 5 mic absolute spin-on for my new base. Doesn't have to be Napa.

Thanks!

'48Chevy6

Reply try #2.

Thanks for the update. 7.5 gallons rug in fifty gallons total mix might work. 7.5 gallons added to 50 gals rug won't work (very well). The guys that report success with your motor (or is it engine?), report 40 WMO/10 rug. The results you experienced were based on too thick of a mix.

Don't be afraid to stick a couple gallons of rug in at the pump if you get too thick again.

Try a wix 33674. Make sure that your blend is well settled because it is a very restrictive filter and will clog quickly if fed too rough a mix. I have driven close to 4k miles with stock onboard filter after processing through a 33374 (equivalent), the larger micron cousin of the 33674.

Thanks again for the update. Not a lot of souls are as brave as you. Maybe your positive future success will encourage them.

Tim

Disciple

My apololgies. I wrote down the wrong mix. I was running 40 gals WMO/ 7.5 RUG. Not the previously mentioned 50/7.5. Do you think this is still too rich? I'll experiment by adding another 3.5 gals RUG and see if I still have the same problems.

If it's going to continue to give me a lack of power I'll have to try somethig else. I'm a Mason and use my truck to haul very heavy trailers full of material, debris, and concrete pretty often. There were a few times last week when I was genuinely worried about my truck. I was at a dead stop, then going up a steep hill pulling a really heavy trailer loaded with concrete. I really need to get a tranny cooler installed asap too.

Disciple

The saga continues

Ok, so I just got back into town the other day after being gone for a week. The truck sat the whole time I was gone. When I got back the truck would not start. Cranks and cranks with some white smoke, but will not fire. Went through the TM religiously, checked GP's and relay (it's warm enough that I shouldnt need them anyway), changed fuel filter, bled system, checked lines, etc. I finally replaced the fuel lifter pump. No go. Same symptoms.

I'm now highly suspicious of the fuel. I plan to siphon out the fuel and replace with straight diesel. What is in there is mostly diesel now, though. The last time I added WMO it was a 40/10 mix. It was starting hard and had a slight lack of power at take-off so I ran that down to about 1/4 tank and topped off with D2, ran it a while then parked it before going out of town.

Can diesels flood?