• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My son is a proud new M1009 owner! Bonus pics with CUCVLOVER who we met driving back

CUCVLOVER

Thanks Chase and Al. We will try to repair the radiator first. Did you find a mechanic in Clarksville or Nashville? Nevermind I see you said Clarksville.

Both headlights work.. Just 2 marker lights out.

On the same subject.. 3 out of 4 black out lights still with perfectly. For the one that didn't work.. The screws look corroded and fragile so I'm afraid we will break it trying to take it off.. and I'm not sure if it's an electrical issue or burned out bulb.

The diesel is over a year old but doesn't seem to be causing any issues running. Should we drain that anyway?

Any good deals on stock tires? Probably going to replace those soon as well.
New or used tires?
I would replace them that driver side front and cracks on the side wall.

nyvram

i think used is fine as long as they're round. we haven't gotten the truck over 30mph yet as we're still 'feeling it out' and dont want to unintentionally break something but it feels like one of the tires might have bent/broken belts from having sat for so long. there's a definite wobble going on..not sure if its the death wobble or just a bad tire.

we're not going to be doing 70 on the highway with this truck so we dont need brand new high performance tires.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
YourNextTire.com has some good deals on tires. Also Treadwright.com usually has some good retreads. And then WalMart has good prices on GoodYear Wranglers

I seen many tires blow out due to age. I had a spare blow out a couple of weeks ago. Tire was in like new condition bit was older. The recommendation is that tires should not be run if they are over 6-8 years old.

With your son driving it you may want to go new.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

i think used is fine as long as they're round. we haven't gotten the truck over 30mph yet as we're still 'feeling it out' and dont want to unintentionally break something but it feels like one of the tires might have bent/broken belts from having sat for so long. there's a definite wobble going on..not sure if its the death wobble or just a bad tire.

we're not going to be doing 70 on the highway with this truck so we dont need brand new high performance tires.
Ok.
Do you want a mega mud tire that will sing or a street tire?

Al Harvey

Check out gladiator tires. I've got them on my M1009 and on my contact truck. The price isn't bad on them. I got my set a year or so ago and it was about $750 plus tax for 33s. Here is a pic of my tires.

IMG_2386.jpg

fitz

I'm thinking your son will want mud tires.
For a young kid there is nothing better than a CUCV on mud tires howling down the road.

nyvram

Hey. We are good. He joined the forum but is new to these things so I don't think he's posted yet.

He's had to work almost every single day since he got the truck so he hasn't had much time to do anything with it.

We registered it and he drove it to school a few times with a5 gallon water tank to fill up the radiator since we haven't replaced it yet.

We finally pulled the other one and found the leak and ordered a replacement.

Truck is in remarkably good shape but we want to replace the radiator and change the oil before he starts driving it.

CUCVLOVER

Good.
I'm glad it's going to be a good truck.
At least if he is working he will have the $ to work on and drive the truck. Since its going to get cold you might want to pick up a bottle of power service in the white bottle it keeps the fuel from turning to jello.
When you check the oil is if sticky?

Also since the truck sat I would do the trans fluid and filter.
Have you had a hard start yet?
Good luck with everything.

Last edited:

nyvram

thanks! I think he was going to direct message you today. we'll let you know about those other questions as well. taking it one thing at a time... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks