• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mysterious coolant leak...I think...

bebyb

Hey guys! Found the leak and it is not a head gasket. There are a couple of braided hoses back there that are leaking and that is where it is coming from according to a guy that came by and looked at it. I will be replacing the hoses tomorrow and all should be well. Thank you for the input!

CMPPhil

Hey guys! Found the leak and it is not a head gasket. There are a couple of braided hoses back there that are leaking and that is where it is coming from according to a guy that came by and looked at it. I will be replacing the hoses tomorrow and all should be well. Thank you for the input!
Hi

Out of curiosity how far apart was the actual leak point to where it was dripping on to the ground? Did it go straight down or dribble along to drop on to the ground several feet away?

Glad you found the leak.

Cheers Phil

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been lurking this thread for Five pages in, and I'm thinking this "leak" is the result of a pooch with a full bladder, or an ornery neighbor kid spilling his mountain dew (or drank it all and subsequently had to relieve a full bladder).... Yep, something along the lines of; something that's not inside the mechanical innards of a deuce.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read this as meaning the water jacket coolant hoses, because I cannot, for the life of me, imagine any other "hoses" carrying coolant on the outside of that engine. Maybe heater hoses, if the heater has been relocated into the cab on the passenger side, as some have done.

bebyb

As we wait for a updated from the OP.
I'm also curious of what came out of the primary fuel filter since it hasn't been drained since bought it .
Yes, it was the water jacket hoses. They were worn right at the ends which is why they were leaking. I drained the fuel filter and it surprisingly wasn't too bad. Just a little bit of water before the fuel came out. Haha I don't think any animals or kids can get to it, it is in a gated storage facility.

bebyb

Hi

Out of curiosity how far apart was the actual leak point to where it was dripping on to the ground? Did it go straight down or dribble along to drop on to the ground several feet away?

Glad you found the leak.

Cheers Phil
Yes, I figured out it wasn't directly leaking onto the ground. It was actually running down inside a little ways before it dripped on the ground.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it was the water jacket hoses. They were worn right at the ends which is why they were leaking. I drained the fuel filter and it surprisingly wasn't too bad. Just a little bit of water before the fuel came out. Haha I don't think any animals or kids can get to it, it is in a gated storage facility.
I wish the best for you, and the truck.

Last edited:

rustystud

Okay for all interested, I took a photo of the hose that was leaking when I was at my truck today.View attachment 715111

Funny, as that is the part I was just cleaning up and posted about a few days ago. I have found those parts to have a lot of "flashing" from the original casting that never got cleaned up. It's an old trick I used to help prevent "come-backs" in the shop.

bebyb

Funny, as that is the part I was just cleaning up and posted about a few days ago. I have found those parts to have a lot of "flashing" from the original casting that never got cleaned up. It's an old trick I used to help prevent "come-backs" in the shop.
Yeah we replaced this one with standard radiator hose but we got the tougher "braided" type for the other two. Not a braided hose in the conventional sense, but is like some kind of fabric like rubber material.