• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

N Arizona M1028 Build Thread

N Arizona

Well I have been working 6 and 7 days a week so i have not had to much time to update my thread. Over thanks giving I was able to paint the truck 686 tan. This past weekend I was able to debug the electrical system and do the bumpers and grill. The truck is really starting to come together.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the truck I saw sitting in a driveway off Hall the other day. My son lives on Apache and 98th. Looks great N Arizona!

dynodave1

Hey here's a quick note to say keep up the good work. We need more guys like you that are willing to get dirty and take pride in there work!!!

mtjbrown

Yea, I just wondered. I have plans to repaint my M1031 with "383" green and I wasn't sure whether black wheels would look best or green.
Thanks

N Arizona

When I was going to repaint one of my rear wheel my good friend Murphy decided to come by. So now I have a broken stud. It was not too hard to change out. Though will say not to buy a wheel stud at Advanced Auto Parts. The stud and the not are poorly threaded and have to be installed with an impact as a plus they are longer then they should be. The process is simple enough. the only thing special that is need is the socket to remove the retaining nut. it was about $25 at NAPA. Here are some photos of what it takes to do it.

Forgot to add that the pin out of the shackles makes for a handy way to drive in the new stud.

Attachments

N Arizona

Pinbill,
I just cleaned the hubs with a 5" grinder with a wire wheel to clean the rust off. Only took a few minutes. Every thing else was good as far a bearings and brakes so I just put it back together. The fronts I did the same thing I just painted it with a combo of Rustolium Rusty Metal Primer and Krylon Ultra Flat Black Camo paint I got at NAPA.

mtjbrown

I can see from the pic of you driving out the stud that you OBVIOUSLY need a bigger hammer!!!:-D Possibly at least a 3 lb sledge. JK

N Arizona

Well I went to try and start the M1028 in the little cold snap we are having here in Florida and the truck refused start on the first two attempts. On the third attempt the starter starting cranking fine then starting making a loud clicking noise and the motor turned over very slowly. Tried it again today and just the loud clicking and slow turning so I guess a new gear reduction starter is in order (was looking for an excuse to get one anyways as I really like the one I have in my other truck). But got me thing that I should start on a few other things on the motor so I figured new glow plugs were in order. I was glad I did as one was starting to swell. I bought the AC 60 from the local NAPA and modified them to fit the stock plugs. It was very easy and old took about 45 to do every thing. I used and orbital sander as that was all I had. I would recommend it to any one else doing it as it is much easier to control then a grinder.

Attachments

steved454

Great Thread, N Arizona if you are still looking for Hummer wheels I have 5 of them. They are the 2 piece design with a set of 36x12.50x16.5 about 65% tread. Tires have some minor cuts. $300 for the lot. Pm me if interested will send you some pics of them.

N Arizona

Well when I went to test the glow plugs by cycling the plugs then checking to see if they got hot I noticed that there was no click from the GP relay. Then something strange happened the relay started making the loud clicking noise I thought was the starter. So I went a head and replaced the relay. I have attached a video of the relay making the clicking noise. Anyone else have this happen?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks