• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

N Arizona M1028 Build Thread

N Arizona

I took the seat out of the truck tonight. Seems that some one had keep a bottle of oil behind the seat that leaked. I will do a good cleaning of it soon. It also looks like I need to get another vinyl floor. Has anyone used the one from LMC? Here are some photos.

Attachments

Jett1

Hey N Arizona I like the thread keep posting. :) I am saving to pick up a CUCV pickup. I like your approach. I am hoping to use the 60/40 split seat from the 90's model PU.

N Arizona

Well little more progress. I pulled the vinyl floor out and the insulation was pretty gross so I tore that out as well. Just when I thought I was out of the sanding and painting business it looks like I have some more to do.

Jett1 I hope you find a good one. I have had a lot of fun working on mine.

Here are some more pics.

Attachments

Pikesrider

I just did this to my m1028. I put in two layers of sound dampening material on the floor and then installed the LMC molded rubber MIP floor mat. It is not as molded as advertised and I think the CUCV has a few things like the fire extinguisher mount that make it a more difficult install. Overall I'm happy with it, but ended up tearing it too much when installing over the 4x4 shifter. I just glued a scrap piece over it to patch it. I've noticed it is quieter.

N Arizona

Now that I have the seat out of the truck I figured it was a good time to do anything that I needed to do under the dash. So I did Doghead's starter relay mod. It was very easy thanks to the thread. The only thing I would add is to have two 1/4-20 X 1/2" bolts on had to bolt the relay to the bracket. The truck starts great. Here are some pics.

Attachments

N Arizona

Well got the new floor in tonight. I got it from stock interiors and it was good quality. It was a pain to get in but not really all that hard all it took was about 10 times taking it in and out of the truck. I did learn a lot doing it though so if any one is planing on doing this let me know. I also replaced the weather striping as well. Here are some photos.

Attachments

N Arizona

mtjbrown the insulation was included with the floor.
I got some work done on the truck the other weekend with the help of my dad who was in town. We started to trace down a Gen 1 light that would not come on and ended up with the dash apart. Changed out all the bulbs and cleaned all of the contacts. As it turns out the only thing that was wrong with the Gen 1 light was a bad ground wire from the alternator to the block. but cleaned up all of the lenses and the dash looks great. Here are some pics.

Attachments

N Arizona

Where to start with what is going on. This all started back in Arizona when I wanted to change to lift pump on my M1028. I was at the store and I needed a 10mm wrench to get the bolts out and I decided that I would get the cheap china made auto store wrench to do the job. I figured who can mess up a 10mm wrench. So the wrench striped out the bolt and I decided that I would deal with it when it was a problem. I drove my truck for two weeks and it became a problem. So I tried for a week to get the pump out with no luck. I tried Bolt Outs, Vice Grips, and filing down the bolt to no avail. So I made the call to pull the motor and fix a few other problems while I was at it.

Here is my list of things to do while I have the motor out.

Change the Lift Pump

New Harmonic Balancer

New Water Pump

New Rear Main Seal as mine is leaking

New Oil Pump

New Oil Pan Gasket and this is also leaking

Getting the radiator cleaned up good thing to as it looks like an Oyster Farm in there

Fuel Injector Return Lines

Chime in if there is any thing else I should do while the motor is out

So far I got the alternators, Batteries, and the radiator out. The radiator is going to the shop tomorrow. Let me know if any here in West Palm know a good shop.

Here are some photos of the progress.

Attachments

Stan Leschert

Quote " Today I was able to finish the patch and start on some other things before a sand storm hit."

Well, that's one way to sand blast the CARC off an old truck!
The beast is looking good!

Last edited:

N Arizona

Well got the motor pulled out last weekend with out to many problems. Got the fuel pump out that started all of this as well as installed a new water pump, new rear main seal, new harmonic balancer, new gaskets. The motor mounts I got from NAPA did not fit so I had to reuse the old ones which were not terrible but do need to be replaced. New radiator went in as well plus a block heater. I sure I am forgetting something. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks