• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NAPA part numbers for WMO filter set up.

joshs1ofakindxj

So anyone been building new stuff?

I installed heater elements and the snap switch in my oil drum and got it working but it took forever to heat up and I never got up to the 220F I was shooting for after a few hours. I need to get some insulation for my drum I guess (duh!).

I think I am already in need of another filter for the Fill-Rite Hydrosorb filter I'm using as my final transfer filter. I can tell my chevy oil pump is working harder pushing oil through it from my clean oil holding tank into the truck's tank. I think I only have 250 gallons MAX through it, maybe less even. I wish I had a pressure gauge on it to monitor it's condition.

I drove around these past 2 weekends running on 75% waste hydraulic fluid / 25% diesel. I think it runs better on WATF/WMO than on the hydraulic fluid.

Kaiserjeeps

My to do list is down to a couple dozen things to do. I just stopped and looked at the WMO parts pile to evaluate what it would take to make it function. The biggest hang up was no welder. I have it now thanks to a very long and heavy extension cord. Once I catch up on some of the restoration work, I can finish this project.
I don't like starting stuff and having to leave it. I also won't finish it till it is built in my mind and all problems have an answer. A lot of the feedback I have read has helped with what I want to do. And change.

I am also still trying to iron out a few things. I wanted to insulate my tank also. I was going to wrap it with insulation and skin it with sheet metal. I also bought a candy thermometer with a threaded shaft. I am going to install a water drain on the racor water filter up top. And a friend gave me a metal frame wooden spool stand that will work great for all this.

All this knowing in the back of my mind that a centrifuge is probably going to be what I settle on in the long run. I'll finish the filter skid soon. :beer:

Ford Mechanic

hey i'm doing some research for my filter system and just wanted to make a suggestion. the 5 micron filter your useing my computer is showing costing about $40.00 how about this one? wix #33352 6 micron $7.00 same base used. i am also showing a 2 micron filter #33528 same base. both have no by-pass valves.

Ford Mechanic

also the 10 micron hydrosorb filter wasn't availible at my shop so i am going with a wix #33418 12 micron fuel-water seporator with drain cock on the bottom $17.00 and uses the same 1-12 thread base that your 23 mic does.

rolling18

For dewatering oil I use an immersion heater it heats up a 55 gallon drum of oil in a bit very quickly more than 300 degrees if you want. I just have to figure out how long to heat it and at what temperature I use a harbor Freight laser thermometer to get the temperature down I don't have to get very close to the hot oil

Before I take oil from a source I'd check it with color cut to determine the level of water underneath the oil like a dipstick it turns pink at the level it encounters water.

For pumping I recently bought 2 government Liquidation 24 volt pumps rated at 35 gallons per hour by Scott they are very very heavy duty and came with 1 and a half inch hose and a filler nozzle that is huge all new! I'm going to be selling 1 of the pump soon because I only need 1. Great part is they run with a slave cable of the 24 volt truck so I just plug it in when I'm scavenging oil
I also made to straw like devices to pick up oil from drums and all of those pieces are a test with cam locks.

I store the final clean the oil in a 275 gallon tote then I pump it through a filter water separator to my 110 gallon in bed tank so far this is working pretty good and reasonably fast especially heating oil with the immersion heater!

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

Yes. I looked for a while to narrow one down. Then found it at of all places
Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Thermostat-Sw...ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1324745596&sr=1-2
25.21 for two of them.

This kind of seems important for a safety feature using the water heater element.

All it would take it is me plugging that in to get ready to process oil and then the phone would ring.
Or a wink from Liz.:jumpin:
Hey what was the reasoning that you went with a snap switch instead of a hot water heater t-stat?

I'm getting the parts together for mine. Thanks

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subscribed. Great thread..now I think I know what to do with all that contaminated diesel out of my M52A2 primary tank.. It was so bad, a chunk of asphalt came out while I was cleaning it. Right now...about 35-40 gallons of oil/diesel/dirt/gack is just plain nasty, no water thank goodness. Just a bunch of gunk from unfilter waste oil getting dumped in there.

Jimma

I use duda diesel bags. They last quite a while, you can stack them inside each other using different micron bags. They are pretty affordable and simple.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks