• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NAPA part numbers for WMO filter set up.

Kaiserjeeps

I am still looking for a 30 gallon tank. I found a couple dead compressors on CL, but they don't call back. The tote is for bulk storage. I found about 250-300 gallons in small containers. A tote seemed like a good place to store it before cleanup.

Snowing like crazy up here!!:)

srodocker

snowing like crazy here too. I know josh had a bunch of totes at one point in time. he may have more. I plan on my oil on my trailer will be used to store the dirty oil from the barrels i collect. then when i clean it, it will run into a cpl drums and call it good

srodocker

I have a quick question. my barrel pump filter setup uses 1 5 micro filter *napa part #1749* is there any benefit running a pair of these instead of just one?

joshs1ofakindxj

Any updates?

I'm picking up 2 110V flange mount hot water tank heating elements on Saturday for my set-up. I think I'll be ordering one of those temperature switches posted earlier to try it out. I have an open top 55 gal drum up high on a stand for this experiment.

Kaiserjeeps

I am still mocking up my set up. All the parts are in a milk crate. I have had to work on must do projects instead of want to do projects. And the snow falls again... Time to go clear off the duece (again). I should have something done inside of six months. (JK):D

I'm trying to decide between a 15 gallon tank and a 40 gallon.

joshs1ofakindxj

I think my 55 gal drum is about the right size. Any bigger and I would worry about insulating, any smaller and I would be touching it way more than I want to with about 400 gals of oil needing processed right now.

Crawdaddy

Bummer. It seems like Kaiser put all the pieces together for a nice filtering setup except for a pump. Now to just find a decent pump. Anything air-powered is out for me as my only source for air is the emergency gladhand on the deuce and I'd probably be burning a significant amount just to pump more fuel through the filters...

Kohburn

for a mobile transfer pump I went with a gas powered waste pump with 1" lines
I have a honda powered version of this:
Wel-Bilt Water Pump — 1in. Ports, 1585 GPH, 31cc 2-Stroke Engine | Clear Water | Northern Tool + Equipment

for the filtering I use bags and a pump from northern tool - Wel-Bilt Cast Iron Clear Water Pump — 720 GPH, 1/2 HP, 1in. | Utility Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment

I never did find a reasonably priced 12 volt pump that didn't die or blow its seals out. if you get a gear pump and a seperate motor then you should be able to make it work but that will cost more $$$

Last edited:

Kaiserjeeps

This is my rough mock up. I've been persuaded to use the bigger tank. It needs a pile of work. Brackets cut off, clean up, new bungs welded in, mounts, green paint, etc. The smaller tank is behind it.
I am using an old wooden cable spool stand. A drip pan fits well under it all.
I can only weld with an onboard welder. Id rather TIG weld it. I stared at it all again last night. I may need a small vane pump to pull liquid. Again, still staring at it.

Attachments

joshs1ofakindxj

I just tested out my Chevy engine oil pump converted to electric drill drive. I moved a 50 gal drum of oil into my trucks tank in 10 minutes. I freakin love it!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been using the Racor 5GPM (RFF8C) to filter raw WMO into a 55-gallon drum holding tank (until I get my filtering station built), and I find it pretty frustrating. It will hold up to 1/3 of its volume in water just fine, but there's no way to tell when it water reaches this level as it is underneath WMO...when I go to pour out the raw WMO on top, of course the heavier water underneath always comes out first....so when I try to decant the water into a waste container, I always end up losing most of the raw WMO on top as well. I tried using a hand pump to skim off the raw WMO sitting on top of the water inside the Racor filter, but that was frustratingly slow and tedious.

Not to mention that I am only obtaining about 1/10 of the WMO from my raw mix from my free oil supplies...I've switched to filter socks & 5-gallon buckets instead, and they work MUCH BETTER and quicker. I'll keep the Racor filter for small quantities of suspect diesel or other fluids that are more viscous & transparent than raw WMO.

Just so you don't get your hopes up on that Racor filter. Of course, it may help to heat your raw WMO supply first to around 100-125 degrees, to make it more viscous and easy-flowing through the Racor funnel filter...otherwise I suspect you'll get quickly frustrated as I was.

Kaiserjeeps

Thanks. That is really great feedback. I had the same troubles pouring all my wmo into 5 gallon buckets for storing till I could deal with it. The water was a PITA. Plus I can say that 4-5 mouse carcasses will liquify and definately clog your funnel. Seriously nasty. I have not tried the racor yet. Just a 40 micron metal funnel.
Diesel is 4.94 a gallon in town. 4.19 in Portland. I need to get something built.

I am not sold on the final design I have yet. I need to figure out a couple things first.

Thanks for posting that.

srodocker

kohburn on that water transfer pump. will it pump the oil and also heard about water pumps spark arrestors catching fire and with oil might not be a pretty site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks