• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NAPA....where have they gone?

steelandcanvas

Personally I wouldn't shop anywhere else. I am partial to an intelligent lifeform behind the counter, and that seems to be what I get at NAPA. They don't have everything, all the time, but they can sure get it for me, or tell me where it's at. I quit going to Autozone, Schucks, and Car Quest years ago. My NAPA deals mostly in Ag and big truck stuff, so I'm right at home.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
:ditto:My NAPA guy got me a box of Mule spark plugs and last fall got a lot of the stuff for my M886. There are several around here and the service depends on which one you go to!

deuceaid

Banned
I remeber napa add in the ffa( future farmers of america) magazine as a kid in highschool....I my local napa was the best(its really in the next town, but worth the trip) we now have a napa in town, but they have computer moneys, when I need a hard to find part I go to Mike in the redlands , he helps keep my farm and things going:D

bikeboy

Being a mechanic for just over 20 years, I have not had many problems with NAPA, besides for the inevitable issues that any parts store is bound to have. Good parts, but sometimes at a price that is a little out of the ballpark.

bubba_got_you

you just have to know how to "work" napa. walk in and look for the oldest guy there and ask him. that's how i do it and they actually know that you can take parts from one truck and use them for an other lol

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the problem with the napa's around here is the help if they can't type it into the computer they don't have it several times i've had to go behind the counter and show them where the parts books for older stuff is located wipe the dust off open the book get the part number have them type part num. in computer and they find out the part they couldn't get is in stock at the warehouse there either to lazy to look or just arn't smart enough to be a parts person

M880 GC

This might help some folks with researching stuff within the NAPA program Heavy Duty Page this is their HD truck division stuff. They have E-Catalogs and various references. You might find references to Traction Warehouse.

Nope, not employed by NAPA.

Avn-Tech

Group,

At my local NAPA, I can drop off a part and they will research until they find it. They have even matched up aircraft parts (expermental aircraft) for me.

What I like best, is that I can call from out of town and have the parts waiting for me when I return to town to complete the job. I may pay a little more, but I get the right parts and do not have problems if I need to return parts (even if its my fault, usually). It sure pays to get in good with a local parts supplier, who ever they are.

Laterrrrrr
Avn-Tech

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From talking to the owner of my local NAPA store, there are basicly two types of NAPA stores. There are ones that are independently owned and operated and ones that are basicly run by NAPA. The independent stores are by far the best because they deal in all brands of products and are not pushed to sell only items that can be found in the NAPA warehouse.

My NAPA has an older parts guy that's been dealing in parts for his whole adult life. He even keeps old parts books because he says that sometimes the newer up to date books will leave out parts that are still available or atleast they will have a part number that can be converted over to another brand. He takes it as a chalenge when I bring in a oddball part and will sometimes work for days (in between customers) to try and find the part I need.

I don't care to deal with a parts store that doesn't still have parts books on the counter. Computers are nice but they don't know everything.

Screamin' Metal

Well....like everything else these days.......we don't have mechanics anymore.....we got parts changers......they just change stuff until they finally hit it and it works.

99% of these folks under 35 don't 'know' they're parts and #'s .....just look stuff in books. I had to embarrass the **** outta one kid they had at the front desk......I had to go in and get a civy part......while I was there I wanted the redo the cables on the rruck I was working on....so I told him. He stood there with his mouth hanging open when I told him it was a CUCV.....he asked me what make that was.......1009.......year.........they fella at the end of the counter smiled an started laughing and said he'd wait on me! Yea....what make.....

This ain't the same world that I grew up in................

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad it's an independetly owned & operated one in town (that my Dad drives for PT) I can send stuff with him and let the guys find & convert stuff. (currently doing the spin on filter for the 4a032's for me as I sent him with the spin on filter adapter)

mikes47jeep

at my local NAPA the guys always walk over and grab the "old book" when i come in, because they know im looking for something odd

9 times out of 10 they can get it for me

it also helps to know as many interchangeable parts as you can

still way better than any of the other auto parts stores where i get a blank stare from the high school kid behind the counter:confused:

vrietscha

Napa

I will come out and tell you that I don't care what kind of parts store chain you go to, you will always find dumb and lazy counterpeople. You on the other hand will find some poorly run chain stores that will have the most intelligent and hardest working people amongst the thorns. Some people don't know what a paper catalog is and how to use it( top to bottom and left to right, like a book). I work at a NAPA in central PA and we are a chain of stores that is independently owned(currently 14 stores and the largest NAPA chain in the northeast area) and is run by a great owner and manager. Ownership and leadership are definitely the keys. The owner will flat out tell you that if you aren't willing to go the extra mile, get the #@!% out because you're kind is not needed. I can also say that some of the employees are below this level and if a qualified replacement were to step up, the lackey would be out the door in a heartbeat. We have regular training sessions to brush up on our knowledge and to learn new product. I have personally worked for NAPA's for 3 different ownerships and by far this is the most competitive/knowledgeable bunch. As far as pricing, every store has their own pricing set by the ownership and I believe that we are on par with the competition and most often below their prices. Some of the jobbers try to make thier living by making 40% or more markup on parts and sell less. Again, that's each store's perogative.

vrietscha

Napa

By the way, if anybody here ever needs a NAPA part # for a part for their truck/toy just send me a message and I'll get you the info at my earliest convenience.

AJMBLAZER

I've had good luck with NAPA's and they're my first choice. Seems like I always find "car guys" at NAPA's and not backwards hat wearing kids with aspirations of one day being car guys.
That said, there's tools at every store. The NAPA I used to go to in Traverse City had one guy that was just a douche while the rest were cool.

I must ask though...did you ask for a 12v or 24v starter? I can see them having trouble with the 24v.

WyoDeuce

I have a great NAPA here in town. Old guys behind the counter that look stuff up in the BOOK not just the computer. My local NAPA also has a machinist in back who will do everything from turning drums to building performance engines. The quality of the parts far exceeds the other parts stores in town. The counter help at the other stores is worthless and is no help when trying to solve a problem.
NAPA does have trouble with military parts but if you have manufacturers part #s they have better luck.
NAPA is and allways will be my first choice for parts.
Long live NAPA. Get the good stuff!

Last edited:

partime

AJMBlazer I asked for the 24v....and when he told me he couldn't get it, I told him that I had talked to many other M1009 owners and they said NAPA was the place to get these parts. Thats when he just shook his head no and said they were too rare to be manufactured????? I guess they are so rare that only ebay can carry them. aua