• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NC Weigh Station Requirements!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes they don't know any better. Someone once said "Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity" (or ignorance).
:whistle:

Sure. Imagine the MOT/DMV/etc. issues you a vehicle permit under the WRONG CATEGORY. Could be cool....less onerous...less expensive..whatever.

You walk away happily with your plates. You get stopped and inspected down the road, years later, and get a ton of citations for the vehicle being overweight, not having a current safety standards certificate etc. etc. Alternatively, you were involved in a collision and your truck is now inspected very carefully.

Did you provide false information to the MOT/DMV in the first place? Can you prove you didn't? THEY can certainly prove that the info on file is false.

Is it likely that YOU will end up holding the bag for the above-mentioned incompetence?

Just saying.

bottleworks

You need to do a little more research.........
Actually, it's you who need to. Please don't waste everyone's time with nonsense and I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you. I don't know the rules of FL, however, I do know NC's. What I have posted are the FACTs when it comes to NC.

bottleworks

Would you like to use Your MultiFuel engine legally? IE, burn used motor oil, or off road fuel? You can! But you must be license as a fuel blender. Attached is the form to get the license. Fill it out and send to NCDOR. It requires you to send them a check for any fuel you use on road that hasn't been taxed. This will avoid ANY fines when it comes to getting your tank dipped. Keep in mind, this is all based on self reporting.

A Blender is:
Blender means any person who produces a mixture composed of gasoline or diesel fuel and another liquid, other than an additive, that can be used as a fuel in a highway vehicle. The commingling of products during transportation in a pipeline is not considered blending. A blender who transports any motor fuel for hire by means of a transport truck must also obtain a license as a Motor Fuel Transporter. Gas-1260, Blender Return, is required to be filed by all blenders and is due by the 22nd day following the end of the month.

Attachments

tcody

So my dodge 1 ton which has a GVWR of 10,200LBS and a GCWR of 23,000 Lbs that I have driven to work every day is considered a commercial vehicle in NC? Something kinda doesn't make sense - I am sure they sell dodge trucks in NC and I doubt all those new 1 ton owners either have to stop at a weigh station or register their new dodge as a commercial vehicle.

As an aside the implication that MV owners do not want to be responsible vehicle owners by properly titling/licensing whatever their vehicle isn't true. In Illinois if you have a MV most are required to purchase a commercial tag. It costs over 1K/year for that tag plus insurance. The tag for my one ton is about $35. The regulations do not treat collectors or individuals interested in military vehicle preservation fairly. I don't know too many who can afford to pay $1000 every year, nor who have the time and money to get a commercial license when they are not a commercial driver. As a result many of us have had to title our vehicles as something they are not and make associated changes to comply with our local laws. BTW the motorhome we take on vacation once a year has a GVWR of 63,300 Lbs and no extra licensure is required in Il, so the argument that special licensing or requirements are needed isn't a valid one. Nor is a requirement for a deuce owner to have a fuel tag, DOT number or any of the other issues targeting MV owners who do not use their vehicles in a commercial manner.

Last edited:

bottleworks

So my dodge 1 ton which has a GVWR of 10,200LBS and a GCWR of 23,000 Lbs that I have driven to work every day is considered a commercial vehicle in NC?
Yes, when it comes to tagging the truck. In NC you would have to have a commercial tag. The license you need depends on weight and HOW you use the truck. 1 ton trucks get pulled over all the time in NC and fined.

You don't, nor anyone else has to believe me. I'm not the one saying this. It's the NCDOT. I'm just passing it along.

Tanner

I'm from NC... born & raised here.... and I have never seen nor heard of a civilian 1-ton truck getting pulled over for pulling/hauling a civilian load. Ever. I have friends/family members with 1-ton civilian trucks that tow campers, quad and motorcycle trailers, and horse trailers. None scaled or pulled for being used as civilian vehicles. Ever.

Evidence, please.

'Tanner'

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have just done a quick review of SC laws concerning weigh stations. While I did skim the material, one thing did stand out. AAA advised that a PERSONAL vehicle does not have to enter weigh stations. My M814, while large, and capable of carrying 10 tons on a hard surface road, is a personal vehicle. It is licensed as such. Now, state transport and or any law enforcement can pull me over, and given reasonable cause, can weigh, inspect, dip the tank of the M814.
SC also does not require you to have IFTA stickers, as long as the vehicle is a personal vehicle. It was very carefully explained to me at the DMV office that as long as the vehicle was a personal vehicle, a standard weighted tag was all that I needed. I also hold a class "A" CDL, so I am legal to drive the vehicle, no matter the weight.
A CMV HAS TO enter any open weigh station, and at that time is subject to any or all of the whims of the inspecting officer. I was stopped once driving my company vehicle, and was subjected to a very detailed inspection of my vehicle. I had one running light that was acting up, and was not working at the time of inspection. The officer cited the vehicle, and gave me the chance to fix the problem, which I did with a swift blow from my fist. The officer noted on the ticket that the problem was fixed, and said have a good day.
Just to ease the everyone's fears, I will ask my friendly transport officer about this next time I see him.:mrgreen:

bearboley

Yes, NC is one of the strictest states when it comes to weigh scale requirements. If you are driving a 6x6 (whether it's a 2.5 ton or 5 ton, loaded or not) through NC and have out of state plates you better have IRP/IFTA or trip permits too as they do not exempt trucks used for personal use (unless it's registered as an RV). The reason is their rules say any tandem axle truck (regardless of it's GVWR) is commercial and falls under IFTA and IRP. Years ago I drove a single axle semi truck with trailer from VA down to Florida and the first weigh scale I stopped at in NC issued me $600 in fines for not having IRP and IFTA. IRP and IFTA trip permits are cheap insurance when compared to a $600 ticket.

What gets me is how so many people on SteelSoldiers seem to be afraid of weigh scales. You would think they were talking about the boogie man. If you're following the laws and have the proper registration and insurance then what's the problem? :)
Why put your head in the lion's mouth? I'm sure Hitlers gestapo said you will be fine if you have the proper papers many times.

bottleworks

I'm from NC... born & raised here.... and I have never seen nor heard of a civilian 1-ton truck getting pulled over for pulling/hauling a civilian load. Ever. I have friends/family members with 1-ton civilian trucks that tow campers, quad and motorcycle trailers, and horse trailers. None scaled or pulled for being used as civilian vehicles. Ever.
Just look on any NC registration. Or better yet, just call the NCSHP any ask if they can & do pull out the portable scales for 1 ton private trucks. The answer they will give is "absolutely yes".

I'm not going to fight anyone over this. I'm trying to help get the info out to avoid you guys getting huge tickets. But, based on the backlash of helping, I think I'm done here. You're welcome. Now I remember why I stopped going to this web site.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any truck with a GVWR of more than 10,000 Lbs is considered a commercial truck in NC. This is regardless of use. All "commercial trucks" in NC have different insurance requirements then private autos. As a result, a M35A2 trucks must have at least $750,000 of insurance. :roll:
From the NC DMV site (just for info):

In accordance with Federal Regulations, a for-hire operation engaged in interstate or foreign commerce with a GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of 10,000 pounds or more and transporting non-hazardous property, the minimum liability required is $750,000.00.

A "commercial motor vehicle" is defined as a self-propelled vehicle used on the highways in commerce principally to transport passengers or cargo, if the vehicle:
  • has a gross vehicle weight of 10,001 pounds or more;
  • is designed to transport 11 or more passengers (including the driver); or
  • is used in transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding.

saddamsnightmare

July 4th, 2012.

Dear Bottleworks:

I do not live in North Carolina, thankfully, but I suspect that even a gasoline engined S404.114 would cause problems there for the State as it is over 1 ton as a truck. As regards to trying to help out your fellow man, please remember the old adage in regards to advice:"A wise man doesn't need it, and a fool will not heed it."2cents Let that one land where it may. I have been to NC many times and have many friends there and many good times, but I will generally stay clear of there with the M35A2's.... I am going to have to pick brains on here about Unimogs iN Washington State, it seems....:shock:

Have a safe Holiday.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do most of the guys on here fear weigh stations?

A. because the laws are confusing as heck

B. Because they don't know any better or don't care and have an unsafe/under insured/under licensed driver/under tagged truck.

C. you can go through one day and be stopped, the guys come out, look at your paperwork, walk around the truck, ask you some questions, say, cool ride, and you take off. Next day, tightpants McGee is the inspector, and you are impounded/fined/jailed for some such or other that he doesn't like and is based on his interpretation of the law.

Bottleworks, I appreciate the notice, thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks