• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NDT= No Darn Traction

maxim

Yea the discussion can go on and on about snow. Momentum is a happy thing. But when the NDT's eat down to the smooth iced up troughs things come to a halt. Weight and airring down will help as demonstrated by some ancient news reels about the DUKW when moving from water to soft sand. Chains, now that is a real improvement. Maybe Cit will show a good shot of his Euro chains on Argyle.

I had an old Captian who was in Artillery in Korea and he said when transporting ammo in the mountians if not for chains most of the trucks would be over the edge... He never could understand why they sent only one soldier in the truck to get more ammo and the supply dump guys would not help much so one day he asked. Well the CO said, " If you go off the road I lose 2 soldiers and a truck. This way I only lose 1 soldier and a truck."

Attachments

citizensoldier

This is the only way to roll in snow or mud or sand but not down any dry county roads...:-D I find that even in slushy deep snow or ice or sand , that old Argyle goes right where I point him..
You must be mindful of the power when in low. The next step if not careful would be broken axles or twisted drive shafts.. Or in my case starting to rip the plow off the front of the truck...

Attachments

roscoe

If you float on top of flat ground your good - If you bottom out your done. Floating isn't that great on slopes. Even my tracked machine (not an mv) will get stuck in very soft ground however it will climb about straight up. There is no one tread that is better. Just got to find the right balance for what you plan to do most.

AndrewH

I did it. Thats me stuck .

To answer all the annoying traction banter, here goes. You know the jokes that start with "Hold me beer and watch this!"? this is like that. Imagine Andrew is out driving his deuce around after using it to pull a friends car out of a ditch along said friends driveway. As we are passing Raycraft road the brillant idea hits us to bust through the snow in the valley. That road is a snowmobile trail and gets packed pretty well. Yes the fields are open and are easy to drive through. Thats not really the point of driving a deuce. So I drove thru the snow. The tires are at 55 psi and are not new. For all of you pro NDT guys I do know that is not right. Where the truck is stuck in the pics there is still 4 feet of snow and the drivers side tire is not down to dirt yet. Yes it was digging and going quite well until the forward momentum stopped. It was easy to pull out. And it was a good excuse to get the trucks out. Yes, different tires are part of the Grand Plan.

tm america

ndt's are the polyglass belted tires of mvs they were the best they could come up with back in the day. but that was then and this is now mud snow ice water havent changed in a million years but the tires we use to get through it has i have had my truck both ways and the xls are far superior to ndts in almost everyway unless you are restoring it to put in a museum.there is a reason the military doesnt use them anymore just as we dont use bow and arrows to shot tanks:-D

m26a1tom

For the guy with the stuck duece in the first post. Why not just back down the hill and try it again? It doesn't look to me like you were totally stuck, just unable to go forward.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks