• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need 1966 deuce info

SMOKEWAGON66

Doesnt look half bad. Mine is also a 66 KJC. Hard to tell from the pictures what kinda shape its in. Drive it-if it seems to run good then it might be a good buy. Check for all the obvious stuff, leaks-rust-damage-etc and be sure all the fluid levels are full and run the oil off the stick through your fingers and check for any flakes or shavings in it. Listen for airleaks, especially when pressing on the brakes. Look at the backs of the tires to see if there is any leakage of gear oil or brake fluid. the clutch pedal should have about an inch of play when you depress it. Listen for any grinding, chirping or otherwise unusual sounds when its running. Check all the lights for operation, and stick your head up above the pedals and look at the harness inside the dash. This truck looks a sight better then mine when i got it, but remember, looks arent everything 2cents

Katahdin

That one has appears to have a lot of post-1966 features (non-rear exhaust, airshift transfer case) so its likely been rebuilt. Looks like a good buy for that price given all the accessories: heater, cargo bows and canvas, etc.

Check the drive train components for rebuild date tags.

chuck-10

I have looked at 4 m35 vehicles in the past month and it seems that the camera takes 20 years off the age off them.When I get there they are not in the condition they are in the picture,this one is no exception.

wsucougarx

Without having read any of the replies you've gotten so far, here's my assessment.
The exterior appearance, to me, is minor compared to what is going under the hood and the rest of the drivetrain. Check the coolant for oil and the oil for water. Check for any outward appearance of oil leakage. Most deuces do leak oil but look for something major. One of the most important things to do it just drive it. Make sure she shifts in all gears, listen to the engine, make sure there are no issues with the brakes. Check the inside of the tires for any brake fluid leakage. Check out the dogbones and make sure they're good to go. Whenever I preview a truck I just lay on my back and just take my time checking the system out.

ranchhopper

The engine might have a lot of blowby judging by the oil on the driver side of the front axle watch how much vapor comes from the road draft tube when its running.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The dogbones are the "links" that hold the axles in place. Think of them as control arms.

Do a search on SS for dogbones, you will find many threads with pictures and conversation about inspection, replacement, costs, etc.

Welcome to the site Chuck.

Best thing you could do is sit down with a cup (pot!) of coffee and start reading threads in the deuce forum. Call in sick from work tomorrow and read all day. By the end of the night, you'll be in a lot better place before attempting to purchase a truck.

I don't think the truck looks too terrible for the price. I guess a lot of it depends on how well it drives.

A good piece of advice would be to find a local SS member who is knowledgeable (i.e. not a newbie) and see if he'll let you drive his truck so you have a good baseline for comparison.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I suggest downloading the technical manual (TM) -10 level from the JATonka website. That will give you the list of how to inspect a vehicle and how it operates. Note that the military will say a vehicle is deadlined if the lights don't work. The fix for that might be simple or hard and costly. Once you inspect it, you will then need to determine what is causing a gig and figure out how to fix it, the cost, and effort. That needs to go into the equation of the value of the truck.

Loco_Hosa

yah..whats a dogbone? Ill probably slap myself on the forehead when you tell us because i probably know what they are, but ive never heard the term....
I uhm, I for the longest time thought the intermediate drive shaft, between the rear diffs was the "DogBone"

Dont judge :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks