• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need a 10 ton tractor

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TacticalTruck said:
Just playin' MD. I'm also curious why you would ask questions about the truck.
Jeff
Just curiousity - I ask about a lot of trucks I have no intention of buying. It helps me learn about the trucks, about the sellers/companies, and about the whole process that is done to these trucks during rebuild.

After all, I don't want a job in Personnel Management the rest of my life. Wanna get into MVs!

TacticalTruck

It was very frustrating to answer alot of questions back when I sold trucks for a living. One can't always tell who are the dreamers and who are real buyers. My wife used to say I should change my number to 1-900-armytrucks so I could charge for all the times people called me for FREE infomation.
Jeff

J2H

I'm too poor, so I just ask for info to store into memory. If I had the money, I would have bought an MV already

houdel

redass73 said:
hey all, came face to face with my first m123 this weekend.Man that thing is massive.makes my 816 look small. bet they are pricey if you can find one...
rick
Never seen a M123 in person, but I did get to climb over a M911 when I was at Selfridge ANGB checking out some Deuces.

I did get up close and personal with a whole CONVOY of M1070 HET Tractors and M1000 trailers this spring. A MI ARNG unit had pulled into a local truck stop for rest break. I was driving the Deuce at the time and pulled in between two rows of HETs. A kindly SPEC 4 gave me a guided tour (and also commented my Deuce was better looking than any they had in their motorpool).

Those M1070s are HUGE! The floorpan was about level with the top of my head. If you look closely at the photo, there are either 4 or 5 steps to get up to the cab. The top of the cab is about level with the top of a M1 Abrams tank loaded on the M1000 trailer. The HET cab is designed to carry the HET crew plus the crew of the M1 tank they are hauling. The rear seats convert into bunks. I was not allowed into the cab as the NBC capable HVAC system is "classified".

M1070 specs:

Length: 358"
Width: 102"
Height: 141.5"
Curb Weight: 41,000 lb.
Gross Combination Weight (GCW): 231,400 lb.
Gross Vehicle Weight: 86,000 lb.
Kingpin Load: 45,000 lb.
Configuration: 8x8
Wheel Base: 215"
Engine: Detroit Diesel 8V92TA, two stroke, 736 CID, 500 HP
Tires: Michelin 16:00x20 Radial
Main Winches: 2x 55,000 capacity, 1" x 170' wire rope, hydraulic operated
Steering: Front and 3rd rear axle steer

M1000 specs:

Length: 622"
Width: Overall - Rear Bumper - 144.8"; Trailer Bed: 119"
Height: Overall - At Handrails - 144"; Fifth Wheel @ CW - 65.4"; @ GCVW - 64.3"
Usable Deck: 403"
Minimum Ground Clearance: 15.8"
Curb Weight: 50,000 lb.
Payload: 140,000 lb.
Payload Capabilities: Self Load/Unload Disabled Tanks

The M1000 trailer also has a diesel APU in the gooseneck to raise, lower and tilt the trailer for loading/unloading.

These babies are truly awesome!

Attachments

NEIOWA

houdel said:
redass73 said:
hey all, came face to face with my first m123 this weekend.Man that thing is massive.makes my 816 look small. bet they are pricey if you can find one...
rick
The rear seats convert into bunks. I was not allowed into the cab as the NBC capable HVAC system is "classified".
ORRR perhaps Sp4 Baggodonuts was smart enough to not allow the inspection of his work area - Portable TV, X-box, stack of smut, 50lb of poggy bait, 4 cases of various beverages, and an inflatable friend in the bunk.

M1075

All of the tank haulers are awesome, whether it be the M123, M911, M1070, etc. When I was picking some things up from GL, I was fortunate enough to see a fleet of new M1070s arriving on base. I talked with supervisor of the lot and the next thing you know, he is letting me drive a BRAND NEW M1070 around base. It was so easy to drive and the cab had a lot of room. It actually drives a lot like the PLS except you literally look down on semis and they get out of your way! I got a picture after the joy ride was over and you can see the BI crate still on the rear of the truck. Man, that was an awesome experience. It made me want to get a M911 just for kicks.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lucky indeed - most of us are unable to get permission to drive our used beat-up deuces off the GL lot to get them home, much less being able to drive a brand new HET around the lot!

WE NEED VIDEO!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
J2H said:
what if you have a Military ID, do they still hassle you about driving a vehicle off-base?
That wouldn't help - it's a GL concern about liability of a private buyer driving a boneyard vehicle on post. Some GL people don't care, some really have a problem with it.

There are other reasons why they don't like folks driving M35s around the DRMO lot. Ask FerroEquinologist all about it, he knows....
:)

NEIOWA

M1075 said:
All of the tank haulers are awesome, whether it be the M123, M911, M1070, etc. When I was picking some things up from GL, I was fortunate enough to see a fleet of new M1070s arriving on base. I talked with supervisor of the lot and the next thing you know, he is letting me drive a BRAND NEW M1070 around base. It was so easy to drive and the cab had a lot of room. It actually drives a lot like the PLS except you literally look down on semis and they get out of your way! I got a picture after the joy ride was over and you can see the BI crate still on the rear of the truck. Man, that was an awesome experience. It made me want to get a M911 just for kicks.
I'm already waiting for the M1070s to hit FEPP. Stretch about 10ft add a 10000gal water tank. 2000gpm PTO pump. NOW you're talking about a fire dept rural tanker/tender.

Lets see what am I doing in the year 2037? I'll be 75 will probably need a forklift to get in the cab and will be pointing at bolts with my cane rather than a wrench.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks