• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice on 8.3 engine repair

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The difference between gen set, pumps, industrial, pistons, turbo and exhaust manifold and pump/gears and head. If the stationary engine has an MW pump, gtg, just install your stuff when you do the re block. If it is later, and yes Virginia, late blocks are backwards compatible, it will most likely use a P pump, so, you will need to change the gear and housing to make your MW work. You will most lkely need to swap flywheel housings, they are dowelled, so no dialing in needed. If you use an industrial head on an automotive engine, you will have un curable smoke due to different swirl factors made into the head casting. Liners and crank will be the same so you can leave them in and just do down the middle stuff. Just re ring the pistons. Just a word of caution, BE CAREFUL when pushing pistons out, if you break the piston cooling nozzles, you will need to remove the crank and, if you roll main bearings into the engine, the piston cooling nozzles can drop down and make it so the main bearing shell will not roll in, again, possibly requiring the crank to be pulled if you can't pull the nozzle up.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about the cam? That is what I was thinking might be different on a fixed RPM motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74M35A2

Apology. Didn't know the heads were different? Seems silly. No combustion chamber to really speak of just flat with 2 valves? Is injector angle different due to different piston bowl? Rest makes sense.

I think he is leaning toward the bus engine, but it has 600k on the clock.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The swirl factor is different. It is how the head is cast for the way the air is swirled in the intake cavity. ASFIK the injector cavity is the same. As for the cam, usually all are the same, look at the number on the nose of the cam. if they are the same no issue, if the numbers are different, it could just be a superseded number because there were changes to the cams, a chamfer if you will was added to the edges of the lobes to prevent tappit failures. If numbers are different, all that needs to be done is to give both numbers to a Cummins parts guy and he can research to see if they are the same.

74M35A2

I would at least fire it up as-is. If it has little to no blow-by, and the hot idle oil pressure is good, then just install and run it.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could do that, but you won't know if the cc pressure is high until it's loaded unless the engine is totally junk.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dimensions are the same, but apples and oranges, BUT, If one were to acquire a complete vehicle to take the wiring and other necessary components from, that would be a cool project.

brazengoat06

i didnt think about it being electronic.

on a side not my replacement piston and liner arrived, however the liners outside diameter seems smaller than the OE. when i installed the liner in the block there was a very small gap between it and the block. i was also able to move the liner back and forth in the block. i have to assume this isnt correct. i talked to the folks that sent it and they claim that what they sent is correct and corresponds with the OE number.

74M35A2

The 24V ISC (8.3L) can be converted to run a conventional mechanical pump if it is a screaming deal. I have seen them for cheap before.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine serial number.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1991 Engines with Thin-Wall Cylinder Block Engines with the following ESN's were built with dual piston cooling nozzles per cylinder, high capacity lubrication system and thin-wall cylinder block.
ESN 44487830 to 44706125 (CDC)
ESN 21083000 to 21123435 (DEP
ESN 30417102 to 30417119 (BZL)

Looks like your engine is a thin deck. Measure in the above area on your engine to be sure. Thick deck measures 6mm.

What liner did you get?