• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need advice with FDECU 5

Lmtv772

Banned
Does anyone here have any experiences with fdecu 5? I just bought two that may have issues (when powering up, they have lights blinking)

FloridaAKM

I'll guess that your not talking about the genset you picked up out of Lake Butler this past week. Post up some pictures of the unit you are talking about & let the experts here help you thru the problem!

Guyfang

Staff member
There should be a troubleshooting section to explain what the lights mean. That's what you need to start with. Could be as simple as you not having a vent open, or a door closed. The interlock system will stop you from doing anything with the package util its parameters are met.

Lmtv772

Banned
according to the troubleshoot section. The unit thinks it's in heat mode. on either AC or vent.
Got all the vents open the good closed and latched.

Lmtv772

Banned
Did a rempte come with the unit? If so, try it. Or if you are using the remote, try it without it.
Yes, sir there is a remote I tried both ways. It doesn't go into 'fail safe mode' so I guess it's something simple.
I have two units that both seem to do the same thing.
on one unit the bolts of the electronic unit were lose, so I assume the issue is not with my generator.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I am trying to get manuals for the the FDECU. I tossed mine when I stopped contracting for the army. Its been 8 years since I even looked at one, so I am shooting from memory. You said you bought one, so I assume you have read the operating instructions? This sounds like a problem I saw a long time ago, and it was something very simple.

Also, when you hooked up your wires, you have to keep phasing in consideration. By that, I mean if the phasing is wrong, the motors will not turn in the right direction, and a relay, will not let you start the unit. If i remember correctly, there should be a light to indicate if the phasing is correct.

Lmtv772

Banned
Correct , sir
phasing is hooked up right . I found a problem was with the generator. a clip on wire on L2 cane off.
with that fixed the unit will power up and blow air , as the fan is working. Heat works fine , too.
Now when I try and turn son the ac , it will turn the fan ...and after a while the generator will shut off power , and short circuit protection will kick in.
If I take that maintenance panel off and switch the fan, inside fan on. the unit works fine. Heart works , too. But if I turn on the compressor, it will shut off.
Running just the fan will settle at 20% capacity of the generator

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
When you say "short circuit protection will kick in", just what do you mean? Does the short circuit light come on on the generator, and the circuit breaker pop? Or do you mean something happens on the FDECU?

Keep in mind, phasing means nothing to a heater. And when it blows air, if the motor is three phase, it will turn/blow. Just not in the right direction. So sometimes, a ventilator seems to be blowing, but if you feel it, look at the motor and notice which way it turning, the phasing is wrong. So, are sure the phasing is right? Because if the compressor is three phase, when you try and turn it on, it will pop the circuit breaker. Overload light should come on, on the generator, and it pops the circuit breaker. Or, you have a bad compressor. Or, the three phase relay, (circuit breaker) that turns on the power to the compressor, might have only two of the three contacts feeding power through to the compressor.

Guyfang

Staff member
Is the cable good from the generator to air con? No possibilities it might be the problem? Can you hook up another 3 phase load to your generator and see if it kicks off?

Oh, and you got to stop this sir stuff. I stopped being a sir when I retired!! My name is Guy wiltfang. Guy is good enough!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks