• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need advice with FDECU 5

Lmtv772

Banned
I also checked all three posts on the generator, they all produce the same current.
To double check
L1 - red
L2 - black
L3 - orange
white - neutral (Lo)
Green - ground

grounded the genset too

Lmtv772

Banned
Are the terminals on the air con labeled L-1, L-2 and L-3?
Yes, I believe so
I also went by the diagram on top of the unit which indicates the same?
when I get home I'll fire up the unit and make note of the way the fan turns. If it's hooked up wrong it out to turn the opposite

Last edited:

Poccur

Convention is Black for L1, Red for L2 and Orange or Blue for Phase 3....hard to believe the ECU would not have a phase monitor to stop running backwards but let's hope Guy is right and it is a simple fix...

Lmtv772

Banned
Convention is Black for L1, Red for L2 and Orange or Blue for Phase 3....hard to believe the ECU would not have a phase monitor to stop running backwards but let's hope Guy is right and it is a simple fix...
The schematics don't seem to verify the
black L1
red L2
theory, but I can try to connect it that way and see what happens

Lmtv772

Banned
I may have found what could be my AC start up problem
View attachment 619116
note the bit where it mentions a 16K 60 amp power source. Now that is for a FDECU 2 but I could imagine it's not too far off for my FDECU 5 since my 10k generator gets hopelessly overloaded

robertsears1

When my FDECU-5 heat pump actually decided to work the other day in maintenance mode, it pulled 125% load on my MEP-804a when everything was running (both heater banks 1&2, inside and outside fans, and the comp). I believe I saw on one of the schematics that each heat bank pulls 5.5 kW. It was good to put a big load on my gen for a while, the exhaust was sooty for a bit and then it cleaned up, it had not worked that hard in its 80 hrs up to this point. Both my 003a and 804a say the output at 208 v is 52 amps even though one is 10 kW vs 15 kW. Edit: I am an idiot that can't read. The 003a puts out 34.7 amps at 208 v three phase.

Robert

Last edited:

Lmtv772

Banned
I am running the generator as we speak for 2 hours with the fan on. I'll see if then I turn all off but the compressor, that it will come on in maintenance mode.
Still would like to know what kind of generator is supposed to run these. And if there is someone here who actually worked on these units

Lmtv772

Banned
nothing...same thing... I don't know why I just bothered to find out how much the output of the 10K generator is. But according to the Data plate the output is 32amps at 208V 3 ph . So that's is a bit off from the number of 60amps, which it said the FDECU requires in the TM
P.S. the MEP 804 puts out 52amp at 3 ph... still not enough I guess.
P.P.S. the MEP 805 puts out 104amp at 3 ph

Last edited:

Poccur

I guess I missed the '10kW generator' post...
Unless it is uber efficient or massively inefficient, a 5ton Mil ECU will typically run at or around 10kW on the gen...so to start it with the motor surges etc. you would likely need 15 to 20kW...preferably 20kW depending on the generator and its ability to respond to inductive loads..
Now, if your 804 can handle a momentary overload it will likely run it...once the surge is over it should settle back...

Unless it is a heatpump then the heat side will probably be just a fan and resistors...much less surge as it is almost all resistive load...Add up the kW of the resistors, add on two KW for the fan and that is the size generator (or larger) you will need for heat..

Guyfang

Staff member
When we had to work on one of these beasts, I always hooked into my 60 KW gen set, without ever thinking about load. I had two shop vans and a light set for our tent city. So i would have never even got close to loading the set to the max.

By nothing, same thing, do you mean it kicked the short circuit, or over load?

Lmtv772

Banned
I guess I missed the '10kW generator' post...
Unless it is uber efficient or massively inefficient, a 5ton Mil ECU will typically run at or around 10kW on the gen...so to start it with the motor surges etc. you would likely need 15 to 20kW...preferably 20kW depending on the generator and its ability to respond to inductive loads..
Now, if your 804 can handle a momentary overload it will likely run it...once the surge is over it should settle back...

Unless it is a heatpump then the heat side will probably be just a fan and resistors...much less surge as it is almost all resistive load...Add up the kW of the resistors, add on two KW for the fan and that is the size generator (or larger) you will need for heat..
I have a 803a not 804. I am hoping the compressor is not seized , but the generator just not large enough to start it up. (which is startling )

Lmtv772

Banned
When we had to work on one of these beasts, I always hooked into my 60 KW gen set, without ever thinking about load. I had two shop vans and a light set for our tent city. So i would have never even got close to loading the set to the max.

By nothing, same thing, do you mean it kicked the short circuit, or over load?
Kicked, the short circuit, Guy

Guyfang

Staff member
LMTV,

I have been answering your PM's, but have the feeling they are not getting to you. When I look at my sent messages, they are not listed there. Have you had any answers to the last two PM's you sent?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks