• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Advise

Ripcord01

Need Advise on fuel tank removal and Disposal!

I have a Diesel tank that is installed and hung on the frame of a M101 trailer. How can I safely remove the tank? I believe there is a few gallons splashing around there. I thought about drilling a hole to drain tank, but how do I properly dispose of the Diesel and the tank? Or before I butcher the tank , anyone need a replacement ?

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Diesel in the tank is safe. Us a tranny jack or floor jack with 2x2 piece of 3/4 plywood to support the tank as you unbolt and lower. I am sure there is someone around you with a multifuel that would take the liquid off your hands. Some of the older M101 have the same tank as an M37.

Ripcord01

Thanks MWMULES. I was going to chop it off but I was not sure of the heat and spark factor.

The tanks is huge. It connected by a 2 bands that are welded to the frame and then secured by four eye hooks. Then there is a piece of steel bolted in front of the tank, a shield per say. It is about 3 feet long and about eight inches in height. I am out of town for the next few days so I am just gonna secure the trailer and mess with it when I get home.

RealCavDog

Helpful Hint ! SOOOOOO many generic thread titles, and as you are posting at such a fast pace, may I humbly suggest better thread titles to aid in searching and catagorizing ?

Perhaps . . . "Advise on tank removal", or maybe "How to drop a diesel tank" ?

Just an idea to help in the future !

3dAngus

If MWMules in on it, and it is the same as a M37 tank, they are much needed for the M37. Theres a lot of old rusty ones out there causing problems.

Ripcord01

The rubber flange that covered the nozzle was wasted., I have been successful in removing the nozzle and pipe with no damage to either! I see that the bottom of the tank has surface rust.. But rest of tank seems secure and solid.. 2 dark for pictures on the rust.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I have to ask. What are the M101 mounted tanks used for? I've never seen one mounted under a M101. I'm thinking to carry fuel for equipment but how do you get it out of the tank?

BadMastard

Can I throw an idea at ya ripcord? If you can drain the fuel out, then fill it with water. Then a torch isn't nearly as scary an idea, or grinder. My dad used to say, he'd weld on a talk full of fuel, but not an empty one. empty, or partially empty go boom. Full ones burn a lot. He was a damage control tech on the USS Wasp and as I recall during war time. They were probably in enough trouble at times to learn these things the hard way. Just a thought.

Ripcord01

Ok, I have to ask. What are the M101 mounted tanks used for? I've never seen one mounted under a M101. I'm thinking to carry fuel for equipment but how do you get it out of the tank?
They are used to hold diesel for generators. :p This is a first for me as well. This was a generator trailer.It has three ground wires, and a few odd brackets I know nothing about.Yhey look like fuse holders( the old round ones).

You would use a fuel pump to pump the fuel to the Genny.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks