• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Advise

Ripcord01

Need Advise on fuel tank removal and Disposal!

I have a Diesel tank that is installed and hung on the frame of a M101 trailer. How can I safely remove the tank? I believe there is a few gallons splashing around there. I thought about drilling a hole to drain tank, but how do I properly dispose of the Diesel and the tank? Or before I butcher the tank , anyone need a replacement ?

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Diesel in the tank is safe. Us a tranny jack or floor jack with 2x2 piece of 3/4 plywood to support the tank as you unbolt and lower. I am sure there is someone around you with a multifuel that would take the liquid off your hands. Some of the older M101 have the same tank as an M37.

Ripcord01

Thanks MWMULES. I was going to chop it off but I was not sure of the heat and spark factor.

The tanks is huge. It connected by a 2 bands that are welded to the frame and then secured by four eye hooks. Then there is a piece of steel bolted in front of the tank, a shield per say. It is about 3 feet long and about eight inches in height. I am out of town for the next few days so I am just gonna secure the trailer and mess with it when I get home.

RealCavDog

Helpful Hint ! SOOOOOO many generic thread titles, and as you are posting at such a fast pace, may I humbly suggest better thread titles to aid in searching and catagorizing ?

Perhaps . . . "Advise on tank removal", or maybe "How to drop a diesel tank" ?

Just an idea to help in the future !

3dAngus

If MWMules in on it, and it is the same as a M37 tank, they are much needed for the M37. Theres a lot of old rusty ones out there causing problems.

Ripcord01

The rubber flange that covered the nozzle was wasted., I have been successful in removing the nozzle and pipe with no damage to either! I see that the bottom of the tank has surface rust.. But rest of tank seems secure and solid.. 2 dark for pictures on the rust.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I have to ask. What are the M101 mounted tanks used for? I've never seen one mounted under a M101. I'm thinking to carry fuel for equipment but how do you get it out of the tank?

BadMastard

Can I throw an idea at ya ripcord? If you can drain the fuel out, then fill it with water. Then a torch isn't nearly as scary an idea, or grinder. My dad used to say, he'd weld on a talk full of fuel, but not an empty one. empty, or partially empty go boom. Full ones burn a lot. He was a damage control tech on the USS Wasp and as I recall during war time. They were probably in enough trouble at times to learn these things the hard way. Just a thought.

Ripcord01

Ok, I have to ask. What are the M101 mounted tanks used for? I've never seen one mounted under a M101. I'm thinking to carry fuel for equipment but how do you get it out of the tank?
They are used to hold diesel for generators. :p This is a first for me as well. This was a generator trailer.It has three ground wires, and a few odd brackets I know nothing about.Yhey look like fuse holders( the old round ones).

You would use a fuel pump to pump the fuel to the Genny.