• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need CDL to drive 5 ton in Texas?

Westex

Texas members, how many of you who drive 5 tons have CDL's.? I'm still thinking about an M816 as a 'Machinery" truck or somthing to haul stuff.

Snarky

Texas members, how many of you who drive 5 tons have CDL's.? I'm still thinking about an M816 as a 'Machinery" truck or somthing to haul stuff.
The 5 tonners weigh 20000#s just sitting there looking angry. Technically if you registered it for the very minimal carrying capacity it's 4000 pounds past the point of needing a CDL.

Texas however doesn't actually seem to care about weight as long as you aren't hauling things for money, or look like you're hauling things for money.

My trucks weight on the title had nothing to do with the actually weight listed on the inspection, I described the vehicle to them and they gave it an arbitrary weight, and said if I wanted to change it I would need to get it checked at a certified scale and pay 33$ for a title change fee.

I just left it as is, with no problems.

I keep doing things to make it 'more' legal though. Like meeting requirements required by vehicles 80" and wider, I.E. adding side markers.

I also have front and rear plates, with a rear lamp, and I rigged my parking lights to come on with the head lights.

Also I keep a current safety inspection. Little stuff like that is the different between being ignored and being stopped and questioned about anomalies in your vehicle's size versus the registration.

I say worst case scenario, you have to go get a higher class license, B or A. You still shouldn't need a CDL though.

greg6459

The 5 tonners weigh 20000#s just sitting there looking angry. Technically if you registered it for the very minimal carrying capacity it's 4000 pounds past the point of needing a CDL.

Texas however doesn't actually seem to care about weight as long as you aren't hauling things for money, or look like you're hauling things for money.

My trucks weight on the title had nothing to do with the actually weight listed on the inspection, I described the vehicle to them and they gave it an arbitrary weight, and said if I wanted to change it I would need to get it checked at a certified scale and pay 33$ for a title change fee.

I just left it as is, with no problems.

I keep doing things to make it 'more' legal though. Like meeting requirements required by vehicles 80" and wider, I.E. adding side markers.

I also have front and rear plates, with a rear lamp, and I rigged my parking lights to come on with the head lights.

Also I keep a current safety inspection. Little stuff like that is the different between being ignored and being stopped and questioned about anomalies in your vehicle's size versus the registration.

I say worst case scenario, you have to go get a higher class license, B or A. You still shouldn't need a CDL though.

I agree...It's all tied to the weight. Depends on how the vehicle is titled and the local tax office as to how it's classified and then you may need a Class B like for a bus...
Good luck!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, do any of you (us) Texans get a CDL? I'm in the market for a 5 ton and wonder if I need it?? I can get by with my farm exemption, if I am within 150 miles of the ranch, but I kinda like to be legal and have the flexibility to drive it places that are not in Texas some day. Plus, if I buy one out of state, I'd like to drive it home ... Maybe. Depends on the truck I guess.

How does your insurance work with a 5 Ton? Does the insurance company care that you don't have a CDL?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CDL not required. Class B minimum is by the letter of the law but CDL is only if used commercially.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And don't discuss insurance.

Much like everything on the Internet, you may get correct information but most likely not and it probably won't apply to you anyway which is why we no longer allow it.

thx

86m1028

The way it's "titled" has nothing to do with anything !!!
Title = proof of ownership, nothing else.
The way you REGISTER it, is where things get different.
It all depends on what you want to be able to do with it.

FYI Texas has a "NON commercial, commercial drivers license".
IE you can drive your PERSONAL commercial truck but not for hire.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The way it's "titled" has nothing to do with anything !!!
Title = proof of ownership, nothing else.
The way you REGISTER it, is where things get different.
It all depends on what you want to be able to do with it.

FYI Texas has a "NON commercial, commercial drivers license".
IE you can drive your PERSONAL commercial truck but not for hire.
Very similar to Ohio. My first response to anyone around here is: What's the C in CDL stand for?

(My comments apply to Ohio only.)

Stranger

You need to look at the Texas Motor Vehicle Statutes.

In Oklahoma Title 47 Sections 47-1-107.4 and 47-1-152.1 specify that, regardless of weight, a recreational vehicle shall be deemed a Class D motor vehicle if it is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes. There is no CDL requirement for Class D vehicles.

I have a bed cover, a cot, and a bucket john equipped 5-ton. We use it as a recreational vehicle. But, like I said, you really need to look at the specific Texas motor vehicle statutes.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Stranger. Technically, I need a class B but not a class B CDL. Actually, I don't need either since I have a ranch and use it as a farm truck within 150 miles of my ranch.

I will likely get a Class B because I sort of like to follow the letter of the law and may want to take it out of state or past 150 miles.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is from the TXDOT web site
Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:

• Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use
  • Some farmers who meet certain criteria
  • Operators of cotton-seed modules or cotton burrs
  • A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle operator
  • Military vehicle operators
  • Vehicles owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier

Info was taken from this website
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is from the TXDOT web site
Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:

• Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use
  • Some farmers who meet certain criteria
  • Operators of cotton-seed modules or cotton burrs
  • A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle operator
  • Military vehicle operators
  • Vehicles owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier

Info was taken from this website
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm
The Military vehicle operators exemption most likely is for active military vehicles , not Former military vehicles.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. You can try it! But, I do not think any LEO will buy it!

Just tell them you have a ranch in so and so county! :D

Grimm21

Just to add what I know of commercial vehicles and CDL licenses. Your vehicle needs to be over 26001 lbs GVWR to require a CDL and a class B license will work just fine you will also need to put air brakes on your license being 5 tons are equipped with them. I do not know how Texas dmv laws are on emissions but here in the communist state of new Jersey over a certain weight you need to test diesel emissions every year.

archmark

Here's what I just went thru to get a TX license to drive my M934 5-ton FMV 31600 GVW (NOT used for interstate or intrastate commerce and/or commercial use, just to legally drive a 5-ton FMV in parades, showing off, etc).

You apply for a NON CDL Class B, the same license required to drive a fire truck. Study ONLY Chapter 14 of the Commercial Driver's License handbook, go take and pass the computer written test and then go take the driving test, in my case, in a RECREATIONAL VEHICLE, which IS NOT DEFINED by TXDOT.

SUPPOSEDLY they won't let you take the driving test in a FMV, at least in Austin, so I'm going to try the Waco DPS office. If they won't accept my M934 as a recreational vehicle, the only other alternative is to find a RECREATIONAL VEHICLE (aka Motor Home) to take and pass the driving portion of the test in. BTW, there is no air brake endorsement or medical physical required to drive a RECREATIONAL VEHICLE (my M934) but if you plan to use your truck for work, etc. then you've got to do everything...

Mark

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Make it easy. Go get your Class A CDL. It is worth the knowledge.Have you been to your local truck stop and seen some of these truck drivers? Trust me anyone can pass it. If you have a 923 and need a vehicle in excess of 26,000lbs to take the test. Go to a landscape place and ask them to borrow 4yrds of dirt to put in the back!. You will actually be better off as it rides a lot smoother. Or go rent a pintle hitch equipment trailer. It just says GCVW of over 26,000lbs. Privates operators are usually permitted to bypass weigh scales regardless of what you are hauling. I have driven all over the US in a 5 ton and never stopped at a scale or looked twice at by LEO. The most any LEO has said to me is "where can I get one?" or "is it for sale?".

Also in the event you ever have an accident it is best to show that you have taken proper drivers training in equal to what you are driving or in excess of what you are driving so an opposing insurance company can not go after you for being "not properly trained to handle such a vehicle and you were negligent"

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I think it's safe to say this question has been answered sufficiently. :)

Ill get a class B even though I don't technically need it for farm ranch work.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Class B without the CDL. That way eliminates medical checks.
Class A without CDL if you plan to pull a trailer 5 tons or more.

I say this because the Wise County sheriff/PD pulled over several people hauling off road vehicles to an off road park in Bridgeport and weighed their trailers. I believe the fines are steep, and if you are getting a class B why not just get a class A and have the option to pull something heavy.