• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need CDL to drive 5 ton in Texas?

86m1028

Class A without CDL if you plan to pull a trailer 5 tons or more.

I say this because the Wise County sheriff/PD pulled over several people hauling off road vehicles to an off road park in Bridgeport and weighed their trailers. I believe the fines are steep, and if you are getting a class B why not just get a class A and have the option to pull something heavy.

Thats some really good advise right there.

Weights & scales is hammering people in Texas pulling trailers.
I have been pulled over numerous times when I pull my 14k gvw trailer with my 15k gvw personal truck only to check license.
It really pisses them off when they can't write me a "out of class ticket" :naner::naner::naner:

My license is a "Cdl with a P restriction"

P restriction is "If cmv, only trans personal prop inter"

A non Cdl, Cdl license clear as mud !

Last edited:

Stranger

Sorta glad I'm not a Texas resident. You guys have Class A, B, C, M in addition to Class A CDL, B CDL, and C CDL.

It would seem that, because of reciprocity agreements, drivers with licenses from out of state don't have to abide by the same rules as Texas residents. For example, Oklahoma law (and Federal statute) specifically exempts recreational vehicles from CDL licensing, which mean only a standard Oklahoma Class D license is required. (Texas doesn't even have a "Class D".) But, because of reciprocity, I am legal to drive my 5-ton in TX.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But, because of reciprocity, I am legal to drive my 5-ton in TX.
That's your opinion.

It's my opinion also.

However, all it takes is one TX trooper to disagree and you have an out of class ticket and an impounded vehicle.

Sure, it almost certainly gets dismissed in court. But by that time it has already cost you a ton of money.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's why I am always nice to Law enforcement. Even when they are wrong, sometimes you just let them be wrong and smile be polite. Most of these guys will write you a warning if you are just honest and polite.

Most. Not all. :)

Stranger

That's your opinion.

It's my opinion also.

However, all it takes is one TX trooper to disagree and you have an out of class ticket and an impounded vehicle.

Sure, it almost certainly gets dismissed in court. But by that time it has already cost you a ton of money.
You are exactly correct. I would not in a million years think of trying to argue the point with a trooper on the side of the road either.

Even though I SHOULD be legal to drive in TX with my OK license I won't chance it with the 5-ton.

That does raise an interesting point about the Deuce though. Where does it fit with the TX weight laws?

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce should be fine at ~13500lbs, unless you are towing 10,000lbs or more, than you need a class A license.

Csm Davis

Guys as a LEO I would recommend the following in any state. If you are pulled over be nice, if he or she wants to write you a ticket for something you are legal for in your state ask nicely if you can show them your copy of the law of your state saying you can do it legally and a copy of the reciprocity law. If they say no ask nicely to speak with a supervisor as this is about to get expensive and most departments have rules about supervisors oversight when requested, but remember be NICE. You by law don't have to be nice and will be treated within the law, but you must remember that the LEO'S you are dealing with have the right in most cases to tell you have a nice day or push everything that they can find. If you are nice and make them feel better about letting you go they can but if you act like they are a piece of trash they are likely to treat you the same. Big thing here is have the laws printed out that cover you, we cannot be expected to know all 50 states different laws and you will be lucky if the LEO knows all his own states laws, and please be nice they are just trying to do a job that most people won't.

sent from my decrepit fingers

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is good advice. I have avoided a heck of a lot of trouble in my life by being nice to LEOs. Most of the time it was because I was doing something wrong though! But, that was my teens and 20's. Im over all that now.

Now if if I am in the wrong, I just admit it, apologize and ask for mercy. I have gotten out of a couple tickets by simply being honest that I knew I was breaking the law/had lights out/inspection/registration etc.

I think it took them by surprise since nooooooobody ever knows they are breaking the law! Come on. These guys get lied to all day. Just be honest and see what happens. You might be surprised!

saddamsnightmare

May 9th, 2016.

Which is why I always loved either the M35A2 in Texas or the S404.114 Unimog, neither one requires a CDL for personal use, and they are really good at hauling your stuff as long as you stay under the 26001# CGVW. The next Unimog likely will be the U1300L for the same reason and a touch more road speed capable then either of the above units. Stay in your drivers weight class and endorsements and don't get the LE on your tail........