• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help buying a Deuce not sure its the right buy!!!!!!!!!

red

Since you already have the donor cummins and transmission, hard not to use that upgrade if you don't like the stock gas engine that is in the truck. With you planning to bob the truck the nv4500 will be happy.

the 16's are about 53" tall, tallest highway rated tire (55mph) that I'm aware of.

Jeepsinker

You will tear up a lot of stuff fast if you put that Cummins in it. If you lift it and put tires larger than 11r20s on it with the multifuel you won't like the loss of performance. You can't install anything bigger than 395s unless you Bob it, which I must try and persuade you not to do. If you Bob it and put 16r20s on it you will snap axles and blow differentials easily. If you want to enjoy a decent performing relatively reliable truck, install the multifuel, turn the fuel up, throw some 11r20s on it maybe with a waterloo overdrive kit, keep the tandems and be happy.

Jeepsinker

You can't have it both ways. We have another member that installed a stock 12v Cummins with an allison trans and lifted it 8" and installed 16r20s. He knows if he ever leaves pavement it will snap an axle in a heartbeat, just with a stock motor... now we just have to see how long it all holds up just on pavement. It is basically like putting 40" super swampers on a factory Chevy 10 bolt axle, eventually something is going to give.

Pig Pen

Thank you all for the help and support I learned more today in 4 hrs than I have reading up on stuff outside of steel soldiers in 5 months thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If its a true gasser m35, it would be a shame to hack it up they are quite rare. I understand you can't save them all, but I'd never be able to do it.

Just so you know, if it is a gasser, the trans is not overdrive, its 1:1.

Jeepsinker

For what you want to build, a 5 ton is a more suitable platform to start with. The bigger axles and driveline will hold up to the enormous tires and high horsepower that you are wanting to install. Look for an M54, or M809 series truck. Looks just like a deuce, in fact uses many of the same parts including the cab, but everything else is bigger and beefier.

Csm Davis

If its a true gasser m35, it would be a shame to hack it up they are quite rare. I understand you can't save them all, but I'd never be able to do it.

Just so you know, if it is a gasser, the trans is not overdrive, its 1:1.
If it's a crime to hack it up then it won't happen that's why I'm asking
I would not buy this truck to hack up it will disappoint you. The axles are weaker than the later ones and lots of other reasons not to try to make it in to a toy. But maybe buy clean and paint back the original green and sell, will save the old gal from the scrappers. Might be good for your wallet and soul too.

SteveKuhn

:ditto:

I, too, encourage you not to embark on a life of crime. A well-restored REO gasser, esp. one starting from a good base, is good for the hobby and harder to find than one of the several options that have been mentioned for a beef-up/bob-job.

I see trucks offered constantly where prices are right and a heavy custom job is probably the only way to save the carcass from becoming razor blades. What they're missing is generally what you wanna build or is on the next carcass that pops up.

Do both and you'll have 2 stars in your heavenly crown.

Steve

:popcorn:

DeucesWild11

Ditto on what Jeepsinker said. If you don't care about the free fuel aspect of a multi fuel and just want a big huge truck go for a 5 ton, you'll already have a bigger motor which is what you want anyway. However I would buy the Deuce and fix it up and then sell it and use the profit to buy a 5 ton. I'm sure you could make some $$ off a purchase price of $1500.

I am new to the military truck hobby so I don't know many people who have them. If I did know someone who was going to cup up an incredible machine especially an old one, I would do my best to talk him out of it.
To me taking a deuce and turning it into an oversized pickup truck is like taking strawberry icecream and just eating the strawberries.

JasonS

I love the old gasser trucks. However, there is little market for them and, if you put money and time into one, you probably won't get it back out. Rare does not equal valuable.

I'd rather see someone make a truck into something usable and cared for than rot because nobody wanted it in stock form.

Pig Pen

thers a 5 ton by my work a 1987 well maintained used as a promotional thing for a gym. they want $6800.00 for im sure i can get it for $5500.00

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks