• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help buying a Deuce not sure its the right buy!!!!!!!!!

JasonS

JasonS- your 1953 Studebaker was a gasser i take it
Yes, I enjoyed and tinkered with it for several years with the 331 and 400 cubic inch gas engines. My brother had an M52 with the 602 continental. A nice truck and engine, as well.

Artisan

If you think you can wrench it into submission GO FOR IT.

Go find the TM NOW and start reading.

It WILL cost you money, It CAN bring lotOsmiles.

Personally I went for a 5Ton but ................. PUNT!

SteveKuhn

ReoRider gave a couple of us a different perspective of gassers vs. multi-fuels at Sussex in April. His take was that the gassers of the period were well-tested over the road engines proven for high mileages, whereas the multi-fuels were put together because they'd burn near anything. That came with a price of lowering longevity. He said he still has his Reo in which he installed an overdrive 5 speed transmission and was real happy with the speed and mileage pickup and had taken it on several very successful extended trips. I had heard the reverse story, from the guy who sold me my Deuce. He drove Deuces for the onion farms in Pine Island, NY where they're preferred because they 'float' on the black dirt for harvest. A multi-fuel blew and transmission and he installed a gasser trans he had. Said it wouldn't get out of its own way but would haul unbelieveable loads. I guess those transplants are pretty straight forward.

Shortly after Sussex, a VERY NICE original condition gasser M54 came up on EBay. It went for under $3K on the 2nd or 3rd listing. I would have loved to be in a position to snag it.

All that to say that while the gassers aren't as popular, I've learned that they have their own merits. For the purposes I use my Deuce (display, parades, etc.), and knowing what I know now, I'd take one in a heartbeat. I hope you have good luck in saving this one.

Steve

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Steve, after following Barrman's (re) build, of a rebuilt gasser, I would love to own one. He says he has to go over and touch the truck to verify its running its so quiet!

Pretty sure he has a thread here about the work he did, I'll see if I can find a link.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks