• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help Dissassembling a Ring Mount

renovate7

I received my "good deal" ring mount and legs today. It has two "slight" demil cuts. It looks like the ring has rotated 2-3 inches since it was cut but the cuts aren't pretty at all. It is now all frozen up. Does anyone have info on how to take this apart? I've got a welder who can weld it up and grind it down. The cuts are 1/2" wide and go across the bottom most of the way. The top half also has cuts up the inside. Are there ball or roller bearings inside? The shaft that the lock handle is on is slightly bent. I can't rotate it very much. Does it pull the pin out as it rotates? Does the pin lock the ring so it won't rotate? I've already talked to the person I got it from and told them it may be heading back their way. Any info/help appreciated.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Readyman went thru this, I think he posted this exploits.. I think he said he WOULDNT do anotehr demil ringmount, it's alot of work/ extra trouble...

readyman

renovate7,
It's impossible to find parts... as these are a Rock Island Armory mfg. item. Real printed material on the ring is gov't restricted, and won't help with any major rework anyway. These things are still issued and in use I guess thats why. I dont think theres a service/repair kit. I made my own swiss machine bearings(roller bearings) and waterjet cut races. I'm still looking for a 'dataplate' and one of the brake levers but I'll have to be real lucky to find them. Austin Aviation has complete rings(not demill), seat backs and brass catchers, but no repair parts.
An option is to not use bearings and just grease/shim it up. For as little as mine is ever rotated, it might as well not rotate at all.

twinfiftys

We repaired one in the condition you describe. They can be fully disassembled but it is a lot of work. They are roller bearings inside and as long as one of these have not been cut into it should be repairable. There should be a dust ring covering a felt dirt seal around the upper ring, remove this and the felt seal first. Then there are about 12 to 16 allen head cap screws holding the upper and lower parts of the ring together. Remove these and the two halves should separate. This will give you access to the roller bearings. Ours were gummed up with grease and dirt to the point nothing would move.Once the torch cuts were repaired, the bearings were cleaned and greased, everything worked fine. If you attempt this be careful, the parts are large and heavy.

rdixiemiller

Get the dimensions of the ball bearings. I can order almost any size ball and the retainers from a bearing manufacturer. Getting the races welded up and polished back to dimension will be the most tedious part.

renovate7

Thanks for the info. I'm returning this to the seller. Looking at it today in better light the cuts go across the entire bottom and up both sides. I think the bottom ring is cut in two on one side. The ring was somehow rotated a few inches and this is helping hold it together. To someone with welding/machining skills this might be a "fun project" but not me. My quest continues. Does anyone know where there is a like new cheap ring in Florida?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i believe you are confused , the terms LIKE NEW and CHEAP do not go together, you may find one or the other but not both in the same sentence when talking about a gun mount ring

halftrack

twinfiftys,

why in your picture does every other bearing look like it is installed differently. I took mine apart and all the bearings were placed in the exactly same type of configuration.

twinfiftys

halftrack,

Don't know that I have a good answere for you, other then that is how I found them when we dismantaled it. Don't know if this configuration is suppose to reduse the drag somehow or keep the rollers cleaner. This is the only one I've ever worked on so I have no comparison. I do know that once repaired I was able to turn this ring with my fifty mounted on it with just a couple of fingers.

TiredIron

I've got an extra M66 Ring in Denver if someone needs one. Never been demilled. It does have a military metal seat very simply fabricated so you can sit down when in the ring. I do not have a set of legs for it.
$800 and must be picked up.
adios
TiredIron