• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help with starter for my 89 3 kw 24v generator

wiccantoy

Ok been doing alot of research. The napa 7026 thread is thread 22x1.5 and summit has this.
Trans-Dapt Performance Products 1127 - Trans-Dapt Performance Remote Oil Filter Relocation Kits.

They have a single and a dual filter kit for my idea of a relocation. Anyone ever had experience with these? 57.95 for single kit and 10 dollars more for the dual one.

derf

IIRC my 016Bs and 701As all had shorty oil filters on them. I would go with a quality filter and not worry so much about length as long as it fits properly.

wiccantoy

mep016b wont start after tune up

Ok as title says. I just changed the fuel filter. Oil filter. And put a 4hn battery on it. Now wont start. I had to put the oil filter on dry since it lays flat I couldn't fill it. Any tips on this one. Im nowhere near the tm to look this up and im typing this on my phone.

derf

Probably have air in the fuel system. Loosen the tubing nut at the injector about 3/4 turn and turn the motor over. You should get small spurts of Diesel.
Assuming the DC breaker is not off.
There should be a lever to prime the low pressure side of the IP, on the mechanical fuel lift pump. Pump it many times. IIRC there is a button or vent or something to vent the air from the fuel filter.

wiccantoy

I moved the lever that u speak about. Did it about 5 dozen times till it felt like it want doing anything. Tommorow ill try to loosen the nut on top of the filter canister. Hope it works. Isn't a problem the oil filter was put on dry? Even though there is no other way. Thought there may be a trick to get it filled. The gen unit is putting out alot of black smoke while I was cranking it. So I know it is getting something.

Carl_in_NH

Black smoke == fuel, so it sounds like you're getting some through the injectors on the high pressure side. Is it trying to fire at all?

No, it's not an oil filter issue - that will fill while you're cranking.

How is your cranking voltage? If you don't get it spinning fast enough, it's not going to fire. Cranking speed is required to produce sufficent internal heat to get it to fire. Might be tine for a battery charge, or start it with a slave cable.

wiccantoy

The battery is 3 days old. They did state it was only 80 percent charged though. But **** 80 percent should more than enough. It has a hair more oil than the dip stick says it should have, which i did in order to compensate for the empty filter. The starter seems to crank high an it should.

Isaac-1

Ether is a bit like Russian roulette when used on a diesel engine, you might get away with it, if it is a very short squirt, but it is best to avoid if you can.

Ike

p.s. I too think you have air in your fuel lines

wiccantoy

I know it can be bad for the engine. I really don't want to damage a gen unit that only has a little over 300 hours. I have my 1009 and a 99 f450 along with 4 other diesels I've owned. Tomorrow I hope to figure it out. Just trying to get a few other peoples idea's. This gen unit will be getting put onto the front of my 23 foot enclosed trailer that house's all my landscape equipment.

derf

I would not use ether unless it was a dire emergency.
Black smoke does usually mean something is burning.
There is only one injector to bleed.

Did it run immediately before tune up?

I've seen the Onan's lift pump (not IP) get gummed and stuck. A good cleaning usually fixes them up.
Also, the fuel filter is a water separator, too. There should be appropriate drains for fuel, water, and air on it. There is a vent in the fuel tank cap that needs to be open for running.

derf

You will need to bleed and prime, depending on how long it sat.
Be sure the battery isn't installed backward.

derf

Bleed the air out of the fuel filter.
Prime with the electric fuel pump, if any. Then work the priming lever on the lift fuel pump. Then crack the fuel line at the injector (open about 3/4 turn) and turn the motor over until you get rhythmic spurts. Tighten the injector line and it should go, unless something else is up.

ETN550

Ok this isn't anything I saw in the tm today. What is the best way to bleed and prime it??
My guess is that you have air in the high pressure injection line because it was not fully primed after the filter change and cranking it got air in the injector line. With air in the line it will balck or blue smoke as the delivery is very retarded due to air.

To Thouroughly bleed: (This is procedure works for a completely dry system)

Make sure there is enough fuel in the tank so that the Fuel control solenoid retracts at the pump lever when the switch is turned on.

Open the bleed thumb screw on top of the filter housing. When you move the prime lever feel that it makes some resistance before the end of the stroke. The transfer pump is cam driven and if the engine cam is pointing up the stroke of the primer lever will be little to none. Jog the engine a few times with the starter trying the primer lever until you feel a pretty solid stroke on the lever. This will allow maximum fuel per priming stroke which is what you want.

Now prime it until fuel comes out of the bleed screw. I have done this a bunch of times on many many different units and I used to say 100 to 200 strokes and it will fill the filter and push fuel out the bleed screw hole. Well I just did a 701A last week and I swear it took 400 strokes! When fuel comes out the screw hole, and it eventually will, then close the bleed screw and prime it some more with the fuel tank fill cap off. Listen carefully and you will hear fuel droping into the tank from the prime system.

Now you have solid fuel and no air at the injection pump and solid fuel back to the tank. Next loosten the injector line at the injector turn the switch to start and crank it until you get at least 10 strokes where there is good squirting of fuel coming out. Make sure the fuel solenoid has retracted at the injector pump so the pump is set to max fuel when it is being cranked.

Tighten the injector nut and it should fire off pretty quickly with normal start procedure!

P.S. I have found it necessary to prime the 016B if they sit a few weeks to a month. They seem to loose their prime moe so than other engines.

Last edited:

derf

Also forgot to mention there is a low fuel shutdown so if your tank is low it will not run or start. You can reach into the tank and raise the float to bypass the low fuel shutdown.

wiccantoy

derf , I dont know you like I know many on this forum. But thank you for saving me alot of time. Between the firehouse, 3 kids, and much more going on with my landscape company you are saving me alot of time. I will make sure to update this page tomorrow when I get back from playing with it again.

wiccantoy

Ok everyone. Thank you all very very much. Im glad I dont get in this section wont help read the tm's . You all have offered alot of info from people that have done this before and not just read it in a book/ computer driven manual. I will make sure to update the info when I get back tomorrow from my journey.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks