• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help with starter for my 89 3 kw 24v generator

derf

No problem. I am just a cog in the machine that is SS. I am glad to be able to help others and thankful for the help I get from others.

wiccantoy

Ok now im getting pissed. Put it in and it didn't start. It started to smell like rotten fish when it was charging about 2.5 hrs of it being charged. It would crank but still wont start. Loosened the valve that's on the fuel filter canister and when I go to prime it, it will squirt fuel right away. After I tighten the screw cap a plunge the valve to prime it and I can hear fuel dripping back into the fuel tank that is 1 inch away from the top. So I know its full as he'll. Anyone else have any other idea's? Please??

derf

http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=94026343AL

$65 delivered on Amazon.

derf

Ok now im getting pissed. Put it in and it didn't start. It started to smell like rotten fish when it was charging about 2.5 hrs of it being charged. It would crank but still wont start. Loosened the valve that's on the fuel filter canister and when I go to prime it, it will squirt fuel right away. After I tighten the screw cap a plunge the valve to prime it and I can hear fuel dripping back into the fuel tank that is 1 inch away from the top. So I know its full as he'll. Anyone else have any other idea's? Please??

Did you crack the fuel line at the injector pump and turn it over until you get a rhythmic spurt?
Can you verify that the shutdown solenoid is not engaging when it shouldn't?

derf

Most Diesels I've worked on have 17mm injector fitting nuts. Crack it about 3/4 turn. Turn the motor over. After a short period you should get a spurt, spurt, spurt.
Note:
Diesel injector pumps are HIGH pressure things. You don't want the line open and spraying into space. Just loosen the nut to let the air out.

What you describe sounds like simple air in the injector line. This is why you do not want to run a Diesel out of fuel.

There are 3 stages of fuel pumping on that motor:
Tank to lift pump (electric, I think)
Lift pump to IP (lift pump has lever for manual priming as stated by ETN above)
IP to injector

Along the way there are filters and lines.

wiccantoy

Most Diesels I've worked on have 17mm injector fitting nuts. Crack it about 3/4 turn. Turn the motor over. After a short period you should get a spurt, spurt, spurt.
Note:
Diesel injector pumps are HIGH pressure things. You don't want the line open and spraying into space. Just loosen the nut to let the air out.

What you describe sounds like simple air in the injector line. This is why you do not want to run a Diesel out of fuel.

There are 3 stages of fuel pumping on that motor:
Tank to lift pump (electric, I think)
Lift pump to IP (lift pump has lever for manual priming as stated by ETN above)
IP to injector

Along the way there are filters and lines.

This year anon does not have electric pump. But ill make sure to try the line u speak of. Thank you again

derf

The fuel system consists of the fuel tank, fuel
filter, transfer pump, fuel injection pump, fuel injection nozzle, auxiliary fuel
pump and a fuel shutoff solenoid.
OK. Must be the 003 that has the electric pump that feeds the filters.

derf

The transfer pump is on the side. It has the handle for priming. It send fuel to the IP which in turn sends fuel to the injector. The injector should be on top of the motor.

ETN550

Hi Wic. Some more ideas here, maybe help.

with the nut on top at the injector loose and while cranking over does it keep squirting fuel?

Put some paper towels around the nut and keep cranking until plenty of fuel comes out.

Then tighten the nut and try one more time. Sounds like you have good fuel at the Injection pump and the priming pump lever is working so that is good.

Verify that the fuel shutdown soleniod is releasing. That is the big round thing with the rubber boot and wirs coming out of it at the injection pump. When the control switch is moved from off to aux fuel or run the fuel solenoid should make a loud clack noise and pull back. Watch it at the pump when the switch is moved from off to aux fuel or run. It should make noise and move each time the switch is moved.

Is the solenoid retracting properly? When the switch is off the solenoid is extended and the fuel lever has a joint in it and the joint is bent and the fuel is off. When the switch is run the solenoid is retracted and the fuel lever joint is straight and the unit has full fuel while cranking. Look at the action at the fuel lever while you move the switch from off to run several times to see the fuel lever moving.

Make sure the throttle cable is pulled out some as well. Although not likely, the throttle can be set low enough to give little or no fuel.

Hoping it is still air locked. Other possibility is a bad delivery valve on top of the injection pump (The next piece that the steel line nut on the top of the pump screws into.) We can talk about that later if everything else above is working.

Report back we can figure it out by the process of elimination. Don't give up on it!

Last edited:

wiccantoy

Well I'm just starting to get really pissed off. I'm a engineer at my fire house. Also used to be a mechanic. I am gonna have to wait a few days till get my 24v charger in the mail. Than allow it to charge. I've killed the battery 2 times already.

wiccantoy

Ok. Got my 24v charger. Its been charging for about 4 days. Looks like this weekend im going to try again. Hope all goes well cause im getting really pissed with all this. And I really need to finish painting the ask panels. Than put on the front of my enclosed trailer. The inside of the trailer is getting really dirty from the black smoke. Its gonna take me 1/2 a day to clean all my equipment and the wrest of the inside. rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks