• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help with starter for my 89 3 kw 24v generator

wiccantoy

Well it is a new battery, starter etc. And it is blowing black smoke not white or grey. On a diesel truck if it is white it is a sign of a bad head gasket. But I have my uncle looking it in a day or show. Praying we get it all going. Also gonna test the glow plug.

wiccantoy

Ok now I'm getting more pissed than ever. Took 2 12v batts and ran them for 24v to verify there wasn't any problems with my 24v battery. While cranking I bled everything again. And still nothing. Thought about quite a few things and running out of options.

derf

A buddy of mine got a real sweet deal on a small cabin cruiser that the owner just had the motors rebuilt in. The owner could not get either motor to start. He got frustrated and gave the boat to my buddy for a song. My buddy studied the situation, asked a bunch of questions, and then switched the starters. Both engines fired right up. They were counter-rotating and the owner did not realize it.

If you loosen the line at the injector and you get a squirt, squirt, squirt when turning it over AND it is turning the right direction it should fire, unless something else happened.

1. Are you sure it is turning the right direction? Things mentioned earlier in this post raise the question.

2. Are you getting a steady squirt, squirt from the loose injector line?

3. If it ran before it should run now if it is getting fuel, air, and rotation and if nothing else changed.

Munchies

Good puff out the exhaust = compression

rythmic spurting at line = fuel. maybe

Only two things I can think of is you SOMEHOW (dont know how) have the starter situation boogered up/ backwards spinning

injector/nozzle is clogged/damaged

pull it and inspect

Anyone know if these are set at a specific PSI or if they are just full flow nozzles and do not 'pop'

ETN550

Time to pull the nozzle and pop test it. The pop off pressure is listed in the manual. Tips cost about $80 including new shims adjust pressure, clean, re-blacken holder and test. A new injector, essentiall.

The pop pressure is somewhere around 2,400 - 2,600 but don't quote me.

IF the injector is good then it is a pump problem. A bad delivery valve will cause the injection line to leak pressure backwards in between cycles. The delivery valve is often overlooked but is not typically the problem. By the time the pump makes up the lost pressure in the line it injects very late. and can cause black smoke, not only during cranking but also during running.

If the injector is stuck in the head there is a metric lugnut that will fit it, I think it is an M20-1.5 but don't qoute me. Screw it on the injector and pry it out. I welded a threaded rod on to it and made a slide hammer and it still took a bit to get it out. Auto parts stores may loan the slide hammer tool. It's the thread on the injector that can be tough to adapt to.

wiccantoy

I have a slide hammer , but do you have the nut u used by chance?

Time to pull the nozzle and pop test it. The pop off pressure is listed in the manual. Tips cost about $80 including new shims adjust pressure, clean, re-blacken holder and test. A new injector, essentiall.

The pop pressure is somewhere around 2,400 - 2,600 but don't quote me.

IF the injector is good then it is a pump problem. A bad delivery valve will cause the injection line to leak pressure backwards in between cycles. The delivery valve is often overlooked but is not typically the problem. By the time the pump makes up the lost pressure in the line it injects very late. and can cause black smoke, not only during cranking but also during running.

If the injector is stuck in the head there is a metric lugnut that will fit it, I think it is an M20-1.5 but don't qoute me. Screw it on the injector and pry it out. I welded a threaded rod on to it and made a slide hammer and it still took a bit to get it out. Auto parts stores may loan the slide hammer tool. It's the thread on the injector that can be tough to adapt to.

wiccantoy

may be getting air filters for mep-016b's any intrest?

Ok before i go and get these filters need to check interest with others first. I can buy these air filters for $10 each that have some surface rust on the cage from sitting in storage for too long. Is there any interest If I buy some of these non used air filters?

ETN550

Ok before i go and get these filters need to check interest with others first. I can buy these air filters for $10 each that have some surface rust on the cage from sitting in storage for too long. Is there any interest If I buy some of these non used air filters?
Yes, depending on price.

Walt4653

Starter, on ebay under military starters

It on eBay under military starters, thought I had one but I don't,
Walt

Last edited:

derf

026? I may have one. I have a 026 basket case but I don't know if it even came with a starter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks