• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help with starter for my 89 3 kw 24v generator

Isaac-1

A diesel needs 3 things to start, fuel, air and compression, it also really helps if it gets the fuel at the right time.

Take them one at a time:

Do you have air (no rag stuffed down the intake?)

Do you have compression (is it enough?)

Do you have fuel (is the injection pump working, and is the injector popping off)

Is the timing right?

wiccantoy

Nothing in the air box to stop it from breathing. Injector was tested and is good. The ip im not sure how to test. There has to be something that isn't getting enough fuel pressure. Tank is very full. Oil is full and fuel filter is new

rickf

I have read through here and don't really have any suggestions for the starting problem but I do have one suggestion. When you are working on it hook up a set of jumper cables to the 009 and have that running to keep the battery charged on the generator and also to give a little more boost for cranking. While you have the injector out you should squirt a couple of shots of motor oil into the cylinder to bring your compression back up. You have probably washed down the cylinder with fuel. Crank it a few times before putting in the injector to blow out any excess oil. Did you say the injector was not spraying? Be very careful doing that without an enclosure for the spray. If it was not spraying it could be the pump or injector.

Rick

wiccantoy

mep=016b help needed in pa

Need a kind hearted person to try and give me a hand. Trying to get help to try and get my gen unit to work the MEP-016B. Ive been loosing my mind trying to get running again, You can see my old posts on what was done. And even with other repair shops noone seems be able to help me.

wiccantoy

MEP-016B running out of options, Need help bad!

Ok i have a gen unit i put alot of time and money into, New starter, Fresh oil, fresh fuel, New filters, Both fuel and oil. Had the injector tested and works great. Tryed to bleed the fuel for ABOUT 15 MIN. Also tryed with starter fluid and get nothing. Someone please help if nothing im about to scrap the gen unit. But really want it working for my lands company, :evil:

kurtkds

I picked up a mep701 which is similar to yours. When I first fired mine up it wouldn't start either. I found that there is a priming lever on the injector pump that I had to activate while cranking the engine to prime the hp head. Not sure it that will help.

Jimc

Well i dont know anything about that model but getting back to diesel basics, if the injectors have fuel and are firing then you need compression. If your compression is low it will never fire. Does the engine give white smoke when you crank it? If your using starting fluid and it still wont kick that tells me low compression.

wiccantoy

Well i dont know anything about that model but getting back to diesel basics, if the injectors have fuel and are firing then you need compression. If your compression is low it will never fire. Does the engine give white smoke when you crank it? If your using starting fluid and it still wont kick that tells me low compression.
Ok I have a tester.for compression for a car or truck not small engine. As far a primer I've done it before starting never during the starting process. This gen ran before I started to tune it up. This is why I'm sob confused

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you "tune up"?

Jimc

Oh if it ran before you tuned it up then that tells you something right there. Compression wouldnt have changed unless you messed with valves or rocker arms.

stampy

crack the lines to the injectors and try to bleed the air out that way. When you get fuel tighten them back and it should start.

wiccantoy

ive cracked the lines lower and upper by the injector. Never adjusted the valves, but did look to see that they were working. For others that asked i posted what i did for the unit. Very basic tune-up like you would do to your car or truck

ETN550

Bleed the fuel system in this exact order.
-Smell the oil dipstick to make sure there is no fuel in the crankase oil as would happen if the priming pump diaphram was cracked, leaking, or blown.
-Bump the engine over in very tiny steps until the hand priming lever has the most stroke and the least slack in it.
-Make sure there is fuel in the tank and the supply hose fitting is tight at the tank and at the pump.
-Remove the fuel tank cap.
-Open the air bleed screw on top of the filter housing until the slot in the screw is visible. Remove the top sound panel if needed to get to the air bleed screw.
-Operate the priming lever (up to 400+ times) until you get fuel out of the top of the bleed screw.
-Close the bleed screw.
-Work the priming pump lever until you hear fuel returning to the tank. Then another 10 - 20 strokes.
-Switch to run and verify the solenoid is pulled back and the fuel lever has moved to the run fuel position (towards the solenoid)
-Crack the injector line at the injector and crank until fuel comes out of the line at the injector. As you are cranking you may depress the priming pump lever once to feel if the engine cranking is stroking it.
-Tighten injector line and start engine.
This procedure will prime a completely dry system if everything is working okay. After the hand priming procedure is done DO NOT crank the engine until the injector line is cracked or else the injection pump can become air locked. Once the hand priming is complete do not delay in cracking the injection line and begining cranking. If the check valve in the transfer pump is bad or leaking the fuel will siphon backward from the return in the tank and the injection pump will become air locked again. In fact it may be desireable to work the priming pump lever just before cranking to ensure fuel is returning to the tank and all of the fuel transfer components are full of fuel.

Report results and if any of the steps above do not work report which step and I can continue diagnosis.

Is this the unit that had a rewound starter that may have been turning the engine over backwards?

Last edited:

jonster

Did you get it going? Have you checked to make sure your fuel lines are in the right places. I had a mep016e that someone had swapped the hose positions on the tank. The fuel pump ran, but nothing ever bled out. I retraced the lines, and yahtzee! Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks