• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need hemtt Detroit Diesel 8v92ta mechanic near Sacramento

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got her home today. Had to tow her from Donner Summit to home. At least she is here. Drove her 1 mile on our dirt road to the house. Oil is now milky and water is low in radiator.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear about all the trouble Mike. I have some Detroit experience, and I agree with Will it sounds like a head gasket.

8madjack

Just saw this, hope it's just a head gasket. I'm no diesel mechanic but i aam mechanically inclined,I'm by placerville, let me know if I can help.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, get a Detroit Diesel service manual for the 8V92 and start getting familiar with it. Should have a trouble shooting section. Probably several available on e-pay.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Much information available. Searched for 8V92 and much information avaialable for free as 8V92 used in marine applications. Just google 8V92.

also gov planet sold one in the container for $5005 in Octoberr.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, give Diesel Kings Truck Repair in Sacramento a call, 916-862-2924. They specialize in heavy truck repair, full 5 star on yelp. And as frank stated keep an eye out on GP.

snowtrac nome

Its been a while but I have a fair amount of experience on road oilers . I agree its head gasket time because of the white smoke once the heads are off have them magnaflux checked . I rebuilt heads and turbos for a Detroit specialty shop and half our head cores were cracked on the fire deck.

Ajax MD

Got her home today. Had to tow her from Donner Summit to home. At least she is here. Drove her 1 mile on our dirt road to the house. Oil is now milky and water is low in radiator.
Wow, that is an epic journey with an epic vehicle. Sorry I don't have anything constructive to offer except "glad you both made it home."

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update,

Got her in the shop safe and sound. Drained the muck out of the oil pan. Must have been 12+ gallons...way more than the oil alone. As I transferred to my waste oil drum there were blobs of green coolant in the milky muck. Got a front leaky tire fixed. A 500 pound tire is not the easiest thing to wrestle. Thank god for my snap on dual tire jack.
Dropped the drive shaft from front axle one to front axle two. That gave me room to access the oil pan a bit better. Love those TMs.
Got all the bolts out of the oil pan. She won’t let go. Any ideas? I don’t want to damage/bend the pan flange by pounding something in between the pan and block. No pusher holes either.
The plan is to drop the oil pan and pressurize the radiator thru the drain spigot to see where water is getting thru. Keeping fingers crossed it’s just a head gasket. Again, please offer ideas to get oil pan separated from block.

8madjack

double check you didn't miss a fastener, then carefully use a putty knife to cut the gasket between the block and pan. Tap the pan with a rubber mallet.

when you pull the head it should be obvious where the coolant is getting through. Based on my past experience

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As others mentioned, use a putty knife to work your way all around the oil pan to break it loose gradually.

Check the oil cooler seals as well to make sure no coolant is leaking into it...if you already have it apart, you might as well go through it all to prevent future repeats.

Make sure you only run straight-grade 40-weight detergent-type oil in it, to prevent scoring the liners, once it’s all put back together.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update,

Used a couple putty knives, one on top of the other, that did the trick and it let go after a few attempts around the perimeter. Next I dropped the front oil pickup to allow clearance for the pan to drop down between the engine, the frame crossover, and the 2nd front axle yoke. Ready to build me a pressure tester that will attach to the radiator drain petcock.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks