• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need hemtt Detroit Diesel 8v92ta mechanic near Sacramento

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked the oil cooler on the lower right side of the block (passenger side, towards front of block)?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silverstate55,

I have not checked that yet. My understanding is that the oil cooler failure would more than likely put oil in the water because of the pressure difference. The radiator fluid was green when I drained it. I'm focused on getting everything clean, get the liner clamps made, then inspect each cylinder. Once that's done, I'll be ready for a parts order. I'm holding off on ordering seal kits until I can clamp the liners down and hand-turn the motor over so I can inspect every liner. If all looks good, I'll just be ordering seals....lots of seals.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silverstate55,

I have not checked that yet. My understanding is that the oil cooler failure would more than likely put oil in the water because of the pressure difference. The radiator fluid was green when I drained it. I'm focused on getting everything clean, get the liner clamps made, then inspect each cylinder. Once that's done, I'll be ready for a parts order. I'm holding off on ordering seal kits until I can clamp the liners down and hand-turn the motor over so I can inspect every liner. If all looks good, I'll just be ordering seals....lots of seals.
Sounds good, sorry to jam your thread.

MrMikey4026

If you have scuffed pistons, you will also have leaking liner seals. Better pull the liners and replace them. PS, been working in Detroit's for nearly 50 years.
Cheers
Mike

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 1/18/20:
Cranked the motor over with a big socket. Found 4 liners cracked all on the right bank at the base of the air chambers. Sucks but at least I spotted them now. Everything else is removed and ready to order parts.

davidb56

Update 1/18/20:
Cranked the motor over with a big socket. Found 4 liners cracked all on the right bank at the base of the air chambers. Sucks but at least I spotted them now. Everything else is removed and ready to order parts.
Now comes the hard part.......you need to find out WHY the 4 liners cracked, before you reassemble it. My first guess would be overheating on that bank., or the wrong head gasket on that side used if someone pulled the head because of the common head gasket failer.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s temperature...I almost positive. That is the side where the water leaked down between the liner and block into the air chamber when I first tore into it. I also saw over 200 degrees on the dash gauge right when I lost power and broke down. I’m hoping the O-rings will tell the story when I pull them out. Can you tell by looking at the O-ring if it failed?

davidb56

It’s temperature...I almost positive. That is the side where the water leaked down between the liner and block into the air chamber when I first tore into it. I also saw over 200 degrees on the dash gauge right when I lost power and broke down. I’m hoping the O-rings will tell the story when I pull them out. Can you tell by looking at the O-ring if it failed?
I cant, maybe a diesel rebuild shop can.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 1/25/2020
i had a buddy come by and he helped me pull all the pistons and liners. OMG, there was no way I could have done this myself. Right bank was definitely the side that failed. Pistons scored, rings destroyed, liners oval from the heat. I’ll be doing a full in-frame rebuild. Gonna replace the oil cooler since it’s probably full of metal. Huge thanks to Will Wagner, my ” on call” diesel mechanic.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valor,
crank rod bearing surfaces look real good. I’ll need to drop a main bearing to inspect.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 1/26/2020:
pulled the oil cooler and cut open the oil filter. the filter had grit in it, as one would expect, I found maybe 3 minut pieces of metal 2 copper colored one silver.
Also made an adapter to extend my tire winch so I can remove supercharger and make it easy to use when it’s time to rebuild.

Attachments

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job Mike. Looks like your getting all the culprits identified. You should be a Detroit Guru when you get done with this.

Valor

Mike, how do the heads look? I agree with a previous post, you should get them crack checked. You've come to far to tear it all apart again.
Don't forget to check the fuse plugs in the cylinder heads. They are probably melted if it got hot but you can replace them for next time if it comes. It's behind that slotted head plug below the exhaust ports. Only one on each head.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks