• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Info from NC Members M923A2 Title, Registration, and License Plate experience...

honor first

I ended up just getting a weighted tag. Next year I may change to either a normal tag or a lower weight one at least. For now I just wanted to be sure I had all of my bases covered and not take any chances. When I went to the local DMV office, the information for the truck was not in the system (surprise surprise), so they were not automatically pushing me to get the weighted tag. I think if the system info would have shown the truck weighs as much as it does, they would have steered me towards the weighted tag automatically. I see lots of weighted tags on pickup trucks, even some 1500 series, and I am pretty sure they are not all commercial...so that's why I say I think they would have steered me in that direction if the system would have shown the weight of the truck.

I want to say the cost of the 24k tag itself was around $365, but I would have to go look at the receipt to confirm. Since the property taxes are bundled with registration now, I had to pay 3% HUT, property tax, and tag all at once.

Another member on here was telling me that to register one as an RV, it must be inspected by a DMV inspection/enforcement officer and they look for specific things. That's as far as I went with that. I figure they want to look at it and determine if it can be counted as an RV or not.
I could wear you thin picking your brain. Looking at a 1994 myself (M1078 as well), and would go to a Raleigh DMV as well.

Just curious, why wouldn't you go with a personal tag under any circumstance? Do these truck exceed a set weight limit for a personal use tag? (Didn't know there was a limit if so).

Ford Mechanic

The basic personal tag is 4000 lbs. Weighted tags go from that up to ??? Going over 26,001 lbs you have to keep a log book and pay the extra road tax.

honor first

The basic personal tag is 4000 lbs. Weighted tags go from that up to ??? Going over 26,001 lbs you have to keep a log book and pay the extra road tax.
Gotcha, 4K is the limit though? My Escalade weighed 6000 pounds, **** my 2011 Caprice weighed over 5K.

Sorry for the confusion, never registered anything out of the ordinary, and haven't registered in NC in a while, been in Texas for a few years.

Weighted tags don't require a business or anything like that though, right? I can be a private citizen using the truck for private purposes on a weighted tag? If so, I guess other than the increased cost, it doesn't make a difference to me.

FlakShrapnel

The tag weight limit is based to your driver license status. Tag weight registered over 26,000 you'll need Class B CDL. Combo Tractor and trailer over 26,000lbs. you'll need Class A CDL.

I went to Raleigh HQ DMV because they have experience dealing with MVs. They'll run you through as if you're registering your daily driving vehicle. All they ask is weight limit you need. Stay under 26,000 to use typical Class C drivers licenses.

Also private business contractors run some of the smaller NC DMV offices. I doubt they're as diverse with MVs.

The main issue they'll want from you is proof of vehicle insurance. My insurance agent only needed vehicle gross weight, commercial, or non commercial status. My MV insurance is $188 ever 6 months for non commercial use.

Now in NC if your vehicle weight is 14,000 you have to have a commercial insurance policy by DoT law regardless if it use for business or not. But insurance companies base your rates if its actually used for personal or business...! A little insurance catch 22, but due to the age of most MVs and you're only needing required collision coverage to apply to DoT law your premium should be low unless driving record says otherwise.

Oh I almost forgot weighted tags are $$$ roughly $400 per year. The most important issue is vehicle insurance. Improper weight cost $400 per ticket, weighted tag cost $400 per year, but no insurance cost possible jail time and/or heavy fine, so keep it simple keep insurance current...!

Last edited:

honor first

The tag weight limit is based to your driver license status. Tag weight registered over 26,000 you'll need Class B CDL. Combo Tractor and trailer over 26,000lbs. you'll need Class A CDL.

I went to Raleigh HQ DMV because they have experience dealing with MVs. They'll run you through as if you're registering your daily driving vehicle. All they ask is weight limit you need. Stay under 26,000 to use typical Class C drivers licenses.

Also private business contractors run some of the smaller NC DMV offices. I doubt they're as diverse with MVs.

The main issue they'll want from you is proof of vehicle insurance. My insurance agent only needed vehicle gross weight, commercial, or non commercial status. My MV insurance is $188 ever 6 months for non commercial use.

Now in NC if your vehicle weight is 14,000 you have to have a commercial insurance policy by DoT law regardless if it use for business or not. But insurance companies base your rates if its actually used for personal or business...! A little insurance catch 22, but due to the age of most MVs and you're only needing required collision coverage to apply to DoT law your premium should be low unless driving record says otherwise.
Great info, good stuff. Yeah I've used the private contractors, good for normal run of the mill stuff, but I'll definitely check the HQ out like you said.

So time to let my ignorance shine; I'm assuming these M1078s come in at over 14,000lbs? Don't have much to base that off other than the weight of vehicle I've owned. If so, I need to get 'commercial' insurance, despite my insurance company knowing and charging me as a private user?
EDIT: Yep, 16,499 lb (7,484 kg)

Great forum with concise answers and quick replies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contact you local DMV. Texas is not NC (that is what this thread is about)

FlakShrapnel

The website auctions list vehicle weight. This talk forum doesn't allow much typing time so I can't google it fast enough to give you accurate weight, but yeah its over the NC DoT required weight of 14,000 commercial insurance policy.

Similar to RV status...!!! Now some members talked about register MVs as RVs. That's not necessary to have registration, and license. Everything else is small cookies...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not turn this into an insurance thread. The Stickies discuss why. Take this as a warning.

This talk forum doesn't allow much typing time so I can't google it fast enough to give you accurate weight,

If you check the box "Remember Me" when you login the system will keep you logged in and the timer will not log you out.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks