• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need info on M923 ,Big case

Big CASE

Hey all , I needed some info on a M923,A1 or A2 .
I'm get back on to the MV Again , as some of you know i had a M35A2 w,w. but I have forgotten my info on 5-tons .
needed to know the deference in M923A1 and M923A2. and the operation of the 6X6. i have been poring over the TM'S.
but just needed some first hand dew's and dont's . if i remember right you can not drive in 6x6 in (R) and something on engaging the front axle.
Ty for the help and any info on things to look for before buying wood help .

elkhtr

923a1 super singles, nhc250 cummins
923a2 super singles, central tire inflation, smaller cummins turbo diesel
cant remember the exact engine model number but it is all in the tech manuals

goldneagle

Do not reverse in Low Range Transfer Case! Great truck to drive. Power steering and auto transmission rule! M923A2 more fuel efficient with the turbo diesel engine.

Vintage iron

I work on these trucks and personally prefer the A1 with the Cummins 250 you can always put super singles on later. The 8.3 liter Cummins is a medium duty engine. The Cummins 250 is a million mile engine and designed for hard work. CTIS is a nightmare to keep maintained and unnecessary, yes it is cool till it doesn't work. love the tilt nose and the bigger cab.

jw4x4

Make SURE to use the proper sequence when shutting down the engine. Turn engine off FIRST (bottom switch) then turn off power (top switch). If not, there could be a voltage spike and wipe out the control box.

goldneagle

I work on these trucks and personally prefer the A1 with the Cummins 250 you can always put super singles on later. The 8.3 liter Cummins is a medium duty engine. The Cummins 250 is a million mile engine and designed for hard work. CTIS is a nightmare to keep maintained and unnecessary, yes it is cool till it doesn't work. love the tilt nose and the bigger cab.
You statement is confusing. Since the M923A1 is already super singled. Maybe you meant to say he can get a M923 and super single it later? Also would need to replace the spare tire carrier if he needs a super single spare.

Big CASE

ty guys. why is it that you can not go in (R) in 6x6 ? i can not remember. besides braking something ,LOL .. is there a way to mod it so you can ? and I want to think , on a 813 you can put a air flip switch to operate the front axle , is that part of not using the 6x6 in low (R).

goldneagle

ty guys. why is it that you can not go in (R) in 6x6 ? i can not remember. besides braking something ,LOL .. is there a way to mod it so you can ? and I want to think , on a 813 you can put a air flip switch to operate the front axle , is that part of not using the 6x6 in low (R).
You need to read our posts more carefully. I already stated in LOW range transfer case. I never said anything about 6x6 mode. The mod is to put the transfer case in high range or buy a M818 series truck. The M923 has the air flip switch for the front axle.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
on a 813 you can put a air flip switch to operate the front axle
Three things:

1. Please do not use TXTing abbreviations. Ty is a friend of mine.
2. Please use capitalization.
3. The M813 is a Sprag, not an air shift.

Big CASE

Ok to start off ..
FireFighterhill , do you have a link to the mod or can I just look in the TM'S and find were to disabled the automatic engage of the axle ???
Goldneagle, I saw were you posted in" Low" , I was not for sure why you could't go in (R) low 6x6 . if it was do to braking things or it was just not a good Idea.
Swbradley1, how i type or spell is not up to your liking dont post back just move ON .. I will say TY to the info on the Sprag gear, I could not remember if a M813 was the same as the M923 .
? is there a way to Mod or beefup the transfer case to uses the 6x6 in Low (R) ??

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone posted a pic of the mod that eliminates the front axle automatically engaging when putting the transfer case in low. It was as simple as removing a washer from the high/low linkage.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?83799-M939-transfer-case-air-lines-installed-wrong Post #11
Sure you won't have the front axle locking in when going in reverse, but it beats a broken transfer case. In any case you should NEVER have the front axle locked in when going in reverse.

Last edited:

emr

If you searched a few , You may have found other talks about these trucks and the simple answers you have would have been dealt with . I will give a fast answer on reverse. driver error just like rolling tham over, the Army, Allison and AM General all did studies and changed nothing because nothing is wrong, BUT with that said, The drivers were told no reverse in low, Yes the truck in low goes into 6 by. It also is as low in reverse as a D 6 Cat . Yes you can split the case by shifting into low reverse when hurrying the truck or under strain, The truck was designed to be as low as it is and stands a solid and tough drive train, tested with more mies in the past few gulf wars than any other truck. The problem almost all went away after driving training , And just not letting the mass's of drivers use low reverse, It is hardley ever needed anyway, i have used it allot, i just had to, I have been running my M 925 for over 7 years, I had one of the first out. This is a huge auto trans, that is super duty. It is 80s tech. And it is good, Don't try to compare to modern trans's and trucks, its an antique now . One very simple rule, This is a tactical vehicle, Not a race truck, Those whom want race trucks are foolish to try to make Mil trucks that way as far as I see it. Never rush the shift from one direction to another , You will never have a problem, With the R's up if you rush that trans, When she finishes shifting she will slam that case, Its a side shift trans. It is what it is. Most should follow the rules . Never use low R . But You sure can . And it sure is done and has been done. Hows that for a short answer :) Beautiful truck all the best ::) Oh I would love to and hope to eliminate 6 by in low. For us it makes sense, here allot of guys think what they think is what the Mil should do. Actually they have a different set of ideas in more conditions/climates than we ever will, But for us the 6 by low auto is better not there,

phil2968

Swbradley1, how i type or spell is not up to your liking dont post back just move ON .. I will say TY to the info on the Sprag gear, I could not remember if a M813 was the same as the M923 .
? is there a way to Mod or beefup the transfer case to uses the 6x6 in Low (R) ??
Wow, speaking of MODS! You realize Steve (swbradley) is a mod right? You do know telling him you will disobey the site rules when you want and to just move a long may not be the wisest thing to do.
Alrighty then!

Big CASE

EMR , good info TY, I have been look around and found most of the things i was looking for , I was just more wondering about the Low (R) in 6x6 and the T-case . I just did not see the ezack cause of the issue, and was just trying to get all the facts and any help i could on the truck,

Wreckerman893, I going to try too , have to see were I am at in the country then ?? Oct 10th right ??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks