• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some help in the San Antonio area

TexAndy

Hey guys, I just got my EUC back approved for my deuce. But reading the "great list" thread on the old board has my head swimming.

Would one of ya'll be willing to meet me in San Antonio and head over to Fort Sam to check out my truck and help me do the initial "get her running safely" maintenance? I'm afraid if I try doing this all myself I'll break something and/or not be able to get it off the lot that day.

I'll pay for your gas, meal, and beer, of course. :wink: And whatever you feel a reasonable cost for your time would be.

I just got the EUC back yesterday evening, so this might have to get done some time before the 7th, as I'm leaving for Utah the 8th for a week. I planned that trip a month ago, right about the same time I won the auction figuring the EUC would come back well before now.

If that's too short of notice for someone, I'll call the site manager and see if he's cool with holding onto the truck a little while longer.

Thanks.

eta: Also, I don't even know what all tools I'll need or if I have them. I'll bring everything I can possibly think of, but it would really be a bummer to show up and need something...

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be happy to help (just for lunch - no payment necessary). I don't know that much about the deuces but I know the yard guy. Which truck did you get? It wasn't one of the ones with the broken trailing arm was it?

TexAndy

event 4107, lot 7100. Olive drab, with winch. No cab top.

There was another truck in the same event that looked like it had a busted axle or suspension linkage or something.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was another truck in the same event that looked like it had a busted axle or suspension linkage or something.
There were actually 2. One had one arm broken and the other seriously bent and then there was one truck with only 1 arm broken. I'll go down tomorrow and look yours over for you and try to give you an idea as to what you might need.

Where are you coming from?

TexAndy

Hey guys.......we have some stuff at San Antonio that needs to be picked up and held until we can get a truck by there.....4 small air compressors.

Any assistance would be rewarded with beer money.
If my truck runs, I'll bet we could load em up and take em either to mkcoen's place or mine. Beer money is cool. Actual beer would be better, tho. South Texas doesn't have much selection.

mkcoen: Which paperwork?

Ironhorse

Hey Andy, good luck on the recovery. I was wondering if you had picked up your new wheels yet.

FYI Wreckerman, TexAndy has a rather refined taste in beer.

This victim of the OD disease brought to you courtesy of me! :twisted:

dlawbrey

TxAndy
just sent you a PM. Used to live in B'ville' I could tell you some stories from back in the Navy days in the "70s. It is hard to beleive I had all that fun and I'm still here. Beer was cheap and a lid was only $10.

TexAndy

hah, it's true. I even found myself looking at new m35a2s that were coming up for auction in san antonio. And I don't even have my first one, yet. Full blown military vehicle disease, for sure. Courtesy of Ironhorse.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, got out and looked over the truck (wound up with a flat on my 1009 while there). Batteries are deader than dead so couldn't start it. The lot guy was busy helping someone else and also there's no slave outlet. Appears that 5 or 6 of the tires are fairly new. Overhauled in '86. Everything is where it's supposed to be (no top) other than a spot on the left side of the engine. Looks like there is a small hose or tube that's missing (see photo next post). All in all appears drivable but better hope it's not raining.

Wreckerman - laid eyes on your lot. Fuel caps missing on all 4 units so the fuel tanks are rusting. Most of the wheels are gone but other than that things look complete. Let me know if you want me to pick them up.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot the picture of the engine. I'm not sure if you can tell what's missing or not. It's pretty much bottom center of the photo. Hopefully someone a little more knowledgable of the deuce can ID it.

Attachments

TexAndy

thanks mkcoen.

So I guess I'll plan on bringing a couple of 12V car batteries and just swapping them out.

Interesting that there's no slave outlet. I thought that was pretty much standard?

So here's what I was planning on bringing:

Two Batteries, 12V.

Ten gallons of diesel.

Four quarts of motor oil.

A bottle of fuel cleaner or maybe some acetone. Mostly just to make sure there's no water in the tank.

Gladhands and air hose.

All the tools I can think of.

Should I bother with replacing air filters, fuel filters, or engine oil filters?

TexAndy

Forgot the picture of the engine. I'm not sure if you can tell what's missing or not. It's pretty much bottom center of the photo. Hopefully someone a little more knowledgable of the deuce can ID it.
The thing with the silver looking wire going through it? Looks kind of like a grease fitting, to me.

Really, that just looks like a jumble of parts, to me. Ach, stress. :-x

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They've gotten kind of sticky about letting folks work on vehicles in the yard. I think it came down from on high not to allow it any more (or maybe it was Sarge, Rory, and I making the lot guys miss lunch on his last recovery:-D).

The oil was fine other than needing changing (very, very, black). Air filters are easy enough to change out quickly. I would recommend at least having a fuel filter in the event it's needed on the drive home.

Couldn't check the fuel gauge because of the batteries but when I tapped on the tank it was EMPTY. So at least 10 gallon of diesel.

You're welcome to drive it to my place and change oil, filters, etc. Keep in mind though that I'm 40 miles north of Ft Sam so you'd be going out of your way a bit. But you're welcome to stay the night if needed also.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thing with the silver looking wire going through it? Looks kind of like a grease fitting, to me.

Really, that just looks like a jumble of parts, to me. Ach, stress. :-x
I feel kind of stupid not knowing what things are but it's just to the right of the distributer and on the left side of the doohickey with the three bolts on top. There appear to be 2 outlets and the one on the bottom appears to be missing a hose.