• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some help please..

Powerstroke94

I finally got the new hydraulic head installed and fired it up today hoping for a smooth running engine but it still isn't righ. I have no idea what to check for or to do to it now. What do yall think?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAqJ3cLUNRk&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

klmartin62

Compression test time. Takes 2 people or a remote starter switch. Only let compression "hit" 3 times before stopping. Use other cylinder readings for comparison. Test with all injectors removed.

klmartin62

There are many brands available. I think Napa sells a good one, if I remember correctly. Just make sure it is for diesel engines and comes with several adapters. You may have to manufacture your own adapter, or order one for that particular engine. I think they cost about $60 or $70. You may be able to rent one at a local auto parts store.

I payed around $400 for mine about 30 years ago and it still works great, but it is a Snap-on brand. You don't need anything that expensive to work on your own stuff. Just get one with enough adapters that you can make it fit if needed.

I think it is Lisle that makes a nice little kit for diesel or gas engines. If you buy one like that, you can use it on almost anything you work on.

If there is not a significant difference in the compression on that missing cylinder, you are looking at other problems. What you are trying to determine is if you need to tear down the engine because of internal damage. Throwing parts at a problem can get expensive in a hurry when you are driving a diesel.

If there is internal damage, you could be costing yourself more money every time you start it. One of the things no one has mentioned is warped valves. When the intake valves are hot from running and cold water hits them, they will warp enough for them to no longer seal against the valve seat. If this happened, you take a chance with every run cycle of the valve stem breaking and the valve head falling on top of a piston. The piston then shoves the valve to the top of the stroke, colliding with the head and destroying head and piston, maybe rod, crank, liner, and block as well.

Even if you have to pay a mechanic to test the compression for you, it is well worth the expense. If the compression is fine, you can concentrate on external engine solutions and not waste money trying to diagnose the problem by trial and error.

If I can help, let me know. I have many years of experience in the repair field, including owning my own shops. Good luck.

Powerstroke94

Thank you very much for your help klmartin62. I will try to order one this week and test it when I get the kit. I'll let you know what happens. Once agin thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks