• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some opinions... :) Lots of pics!

IHASFIP

Ok, so I went and looked at a M35 near my house today. It don't know what year it is but I do know it is in great shape with the exception of a few small flaws. It has a hard top, winch, interior heater, air front axle, springer seat. The truck hadn't been started in a month and he flipped the ignition switch, hit the starter button and it instantly started and purred like a kitten. I then drove it down the road and it ran great. It shifted great and easily hit 50 mph on open flat road. The only flaws I saw were one headlight not working, and the blinker module is burned out I guess. The antifreeze was bright green, and the oil looked, well like oil. It had 40 psi of oil pressure at idle and then after I drove it it went way up 90+ psi. The air pressure was at 90 as soon as it was started ( and since it hadn't been started in a month I pressume there are no looks, also I drained the inboard tank after our short trip and there was a little water in it, not rusty looking though. I couldn't get the other petcock open though...). The brakes felt great and the ebrake worked. I didn't try the winch or the front axle engagement. It has the canvas top and sides? and the top (bows?) seemed really tall. Anyways there didn't appear to be any major leaks, the front axle seals seemed to be seeping just a little bit. That doesn't seem bad. The motor was dry, no leaks anywhere except maybe a little rear main seal seepage. So basically...what I want to know is how much do you think it is worth? :) Pics below. D

Last edited:

IHASFIP

They are metal but not welded. They are screwed to the upright support things. They are just thin sheetmetal. The back doors were a little thicker though. All that crap is coming off of it. And thats all of the pics that I got.

D

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if the air pressure was at 90 psi as soon as you started it it had been run recently.

IHASFIP

It wouldn't hold that pressure for long? The guy didn't know I was coming. I called him and told him and see said where he lived and when hed be home. I beat him there and looked it over for 30 minutes before he arrived. I may have been mistaken but I know the air buzzer didn't come on and I could swear the gauge was around 90 like as soon as we started it. He said it had been about a month since he started it. What do yall think about the miles and hours?

D

Michael

A new headlight will run about $30 and a new flasher about 45 to 50. You would be lucky to pay less than 2500 to 3000 at GL. Sometimes in a big sale with better trucks than this one, it might go as low as 1700. Then there is 10% buyers premium and sales tax, fuel or shipping to get it home and the risk something major is wrong with it. I would think 3500 to 4500 depending on if there is much added value like fluids changed etc. Since he hasn't fixed the light or flasher I doubt if he has done anything else but you never know. None of my trucks will hold air overnight, but my experience is limited to the 4 I have.

Now that I think about it 2000 sounds about right for that truck at GL right now. Some are going for 3000 but they are the exception.

Last edited:

dittle

Its a '69 in case you were wondering. In response to your questions about hours/miles I would say the tach has been replaced at some point.

If I bought it I would pull the axels and check the brake cylinders for leaks; keep in mind if you pull the axels there are 3 seals per hub on the back axels and 2 per front that you should replace while you're in there. If you find 1 bad cylinder plan on replacing them all as the others will be leaking not too far behind the 1st. Another thing to check would be to pull the one of the 4 bolts on the bottom of the front hub (pic 18 ) and see if you have oil drain out. If you do you have a bigger issue with the truck in that you have a front axel seal leaking.

The only reason I'm recommending this is that I'm going to be doing this to a truck I just bought. A buddy of mine (retired AMSA mechanic) bought a deuce 2 years ago and we're currently going through his...3 bad brake cylinders so far, but no front axel seal leak.

dabtl

The truck came from the OK National Guard in Norman. If it was in the last big auction there it went for $2,000 or so.

The board along the sides of the bed and the tall bows indicate the Guard modified it for some reason to produce the really tall appearance. I saw several there at the auction.

The turn signal blinker may be in fine shape, just poorly grounded.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had several of these trucks and none will hold air pressure more than 24 hours. If it was at 90psi it had recently been run. Perhaps the air buzzer was not working or the accesories was switched off while the pressure built. And check all the stuff the other guys mentioned.

ironworksfab

If it helps I just bought a truck exactly like the one your describing about three months ago for $2500 so if it is in as good as shape as you say it is I would start as low as you can and work your way up with him. The worst he can say is your too low. Truck does look good though.

IHASFIP

Ok, well he wants 3500$ for it. I think I am going to get it. I didn't see any of the brakes being wet, they were all dry from the inside. They could still be seeping. Like I said I saw no other leaks. I guess it could have built pressure before I climbed in there, but if it didn't have pressure when he started it, it was pretty quickly after. But like I said he had no idea I was coming. He had a few hours notice and I beat him home. He doesn't have the title, he has a complete sf-97? He said all he has to do is run down to the court house to get a title.

D