• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some opinions... :) Lots of pics!

Sarge

I think the seller might be telling some porky pies.....
I've never seen a deuce hold air pressure for a month.
The truck is worth exactly what you are willing to pay, no more, no less.
Buying your first deuce is an adventure, happy trails!
-Sarge

kc5mzd

In Texas they are very strict about the sf97. Make sure he has it and the vin#s match. Before you can get a title you will have to get it inspected. You will have to make it street legal by adding a license plate light. You will have to take the sf97 to the inspection station so they can verify the vin# and give you an extra form (costs $1.00 extra). You will have to take both forms and proof of purchase price to the same place you go to register any other car (not courthouse). Oh yeah don't forget proof if insurance. Also depending on what city you live in you might have to get it smog tested or something.
There is a reason he doesn't have the title and has decided to sell it. I would offer $1000 and if he doesn’t go for it I would start adding parts he should include as you offer to pay more.
So what city did you say you live in anyway?

dabtl

My experience in Texas is that you take the SF97 to the tax office and ask for a former military vehicle license plate. It is good for five years and costs very little. No license plate, the bumper number is the license plate, no extra license plate light, for obvious reasons and no inspection sticker or exhaust tests ever.

kc5mzd

My experience in Texas is that you take the SF97 to the tax office and ask for a former military vehicle license plate. It is good for five years and costs very little. No license plate, the bumper number is the license plate, no extra license plate light, for obvious reasons and no inspection sticker or exhaust tests ever.
Never heard of that. I think I will be making a trip to the tax office with a large stack of SF97s very soon!!!

MILRET45

Former Military Vehicle License is a good, quick way to go in Texas but it has operational limitations if you follow the letter of the law, i.e. parades, special events and all that type of stuff

Error Page

dabtl

If you plan to use it in business, you are out of luck on the former military vehicle license. It is much the same as the antique license. Good for parades, etc. but not for business.

dittle

OI didn't see any of the brakes being wet, they were all dry from the inside. They could still be seeping.
D

If the brake cylinders are leaking you may not see oil. On the truck we are currently working on there was no external seeping visible but once we got into the brake cylinders and pulled the rubbers back we had oil pouring out of the cylinders.

IHASFIP

Well I want to register it in whatever way that doesn't have all those parade restrictions. It will mainly just be a play toy but would like to occasionaly cruise around in it. I have seen them in texas with registration and inspection stickers in the window with license plates. I want to register in that way.

dabtl

We cruise around to keep the engine fresh and the batteries charged.:wink: You are allowed to drive it for maintenance work with the limited license.

IHASFIP

What if I want to drive 4 hours away to an offroad park just to putt around and watch others. I think that would be a tad much for "maintenance" :D... plus if it comes back slightly muddy. How would I explaint that? :wink: Officer I was just making sure the 6 wheel was working properly. :)

D

dittle

What if I want to drive 4 hours away to an offroad park just to putt around and watch others. I think that would be a tad much for "maintenance" :D... plus if it comes back slightly muddy. How would I explaint that? :wink: Officer I was just making sure the 6 wheel was working properly. :)

D

How could he argue with that, you proved it works properly as part of your required maintenance. Just tell him its part of the PMCS for the truck :twisted:

IHASFIP

Well for me to be able to argue with him I would need to know a bit more MV jargon. My dad was in the army for 17 years but I failed to pick up on it. He was even an aviaiton mechanic....:cry: I don't know what the "PMCS" is.

D

dittle

Preventative Maintenance Checks and Services

Make sure to read the -10 manual in the resource section of the website as this is covered in the manual. The -10 should be required reading for all MV owners, especially new ones.

dabtl

I believe PM work is a proper use of the MV license. For instance, we drive in parades. OK. We take the deuce in for repairs I cannot or do not want to do. OK. We exhibit at the local library. OK. Why not drive the vehicle to keep the fuel fresh, check performance for malfunctions and ensure its safety?

From time to time I use the deuce to haul trash to the dump. Why is that trip any less PM than just driving around on a Sunday?

No one complained when we used the deuce to rescue flood victims two years ago either.:wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks