• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Tire Advice - M109A3

yarry23

Hello all,

The time has come for me to replace the tires on my 1965 M109A3. The current tires I have are the stock 9.00-20 tires that the vehicle came with when I purchased her from Gov.Liquadation five years ago or so. After several trips to the desert they need to be replaced. I had to drive out of Death Valley on two flat tires last time. ;)

I have been trying to do as much research ahead of time so I can determine how to get new tread for my beast without putting myself in the poor house. I have a strong desire to move to larger super singles, both for off-road clearance as well as top speed benefits (long haul to the California coast to the desert at 52 mph). What I have learned thus far is as follows. Please feel free to correct any information I have gotten wrong.

• Current Tires
    • are 25 years old
    • Are Fidelity 9.00-20s
    • Need to be replaced
    • Tube type tires
  • Current wheels
    • Lock ring variety
    • I have 11 total, 10 on the vehicle and the spare
  • Potential Options:
    • 11.00-20 tires
    • 395/85R20 Michelin XZL tires

I'm obviously wanting to go with larger super single style tires. I have a few questions that I was hoping I could get some help with. They are as follows:

• Is it possible to mount either the 11.00-20 or XZL tires on my stock wheels?
    • Assuming I flip the rear dual and keep it inline with the front
    • Saw an older post about odiron doing welding mods to the wheels. Needed for the above tires? Also, they dont seem to be around anymore.
  • I've heard horror stories about mounting tires on these split rim wheels. Is this something I can learn to do, or should I have a tire shop mount them? (Would prefer to do it myself, but don't want to kill myself either)
  • Move up to a larger tube for these larger tires? If so, what?
  • Anyone know of a good source for the above mentioned tires, assuming they'll work? I live in Santa Cruz, CA, so something within driving range would be preferable to I can pickup and save $$$ for shipping a ton of tires. Probably have to rent a U-Haul or something, as my duece is in my driveway with a pair of flats and blown spare tire. **** of a trip home from the desert last time.
  • Anything else I should know?

Thanks guys. Really appreciate this community, and try to espouse the love for the Old Iron as much as possible. My rig gets plenty of attention as it rolls through the desert, and I always try to put a good face on military vehicle enthusiasts where ever possible. So far so good. Appreciate any help you guys can offer as I scrape together the dough to afford some new tread and get the Imperial Car Destroyer back on the road.

~~yarry

Last edited by a moderator:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I first tried the 395s on stock wheels route. Found that off-roading would cause the front tires to contact the louvers inside the fender wells. Had three inches cut off two stock wheels and welded to two other stock wheels for a 10 x 20 size. that solved the issue there.

The tube size is 12/13/14 x 20 (or something like that. Problem there is the tubes are pricey and made of import rubber. Not good rubber like the stock tubes I had in the 9 x 20s. Tires were always going flat due to tiny pin holes. easy to repair once you broke the tire down. I got really good at breaking down tires. Split ring not an issue if you are meticulous and very careful (there are threads on that).

Went with MRAP wheels with tire, bead-locks, and run-flat inserts. Had to get adapters. This is the way I should have gone from the start.

The 395s off-road great and now, I fear no flats. I regularly drive right through mesquite without worry.

Pictures are:
1: 395s on stock wheels with the wide ones on the front.
2: comparison of stock and 395 (before widening wheel).
3: stock view.
4: MRAP wheels, tires, and adapters.

Attachments

Jeepsinker

You wouldn't have made it out last time if you were running singles, think about that hard before you go and get away from duals. It saved your bacon there. The G177s are great tires. They will last the life of the truck, as far as tire wear goes. Most of the time, tubes from a 10.00r20 are used in the 11.00r20 tires. They have plenty of ability to stretch. I wouldn't use 9.00r20 tubes in an 11.00 though. Tubes are around $36 each retail. You can run the G177s singled or dual if you like.

yarry23

Great responses. Thank you so much!

So, if I am reading this correctly, the consensus thus far is that I should:
  • Go with MRAP wheels with tire, bead-locks and run-flat inserts
  • Will need to get adapters to make work with my hubs.
  • 395s are great tires, just make sure they are on the right wheel.

Does that sum it up?

Where would I find this very-intriguing-I-would-love-to-have-it adapter to allow me to run MRAP wheels?

yarry23

Sorry - I could still be convinced to do the 11.00-20s. Im just trying to see what my options are.

The upside of the 11.00-20s is that I dont have to get new wheels, an adapter, etc. Still have to run tubes though, and get them mounted.

Just trying to gather info at this point. Don't want to be too hasty on this, as I think making a good decision on what tread to run is important.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 395s are nice but the down sides are finding a place to put the spare (and lifting it!), having to change a heavy tire, limited articulation, and in some cases flipping the hubs. 11.00s will fit the deuce without any mods or articulation limitations. I've done both 395 MRAP tires/rims and 11.00s of all tread types and can say the G177s are the best ride quality and easiest to deal with. They wear well and grip just as good as the 395s plus you have extra spares on the truck. They can also be mounted on the deuce rims without any modifications, everything simply swaps over to the deuce rim. I have a full set of tires like them ready to go, this isn't a sales pitch just backing up what I say with proof. :mrgreen: Also a reference pic of an SS member's deuce with G177s (anyone care to claim it?)

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145848-New-11x20-G177-on-6-Lug-(M35a2)-rims&highlight=

Attachments

yarry23

Fuzzytoaster - you make some really strong arguments for the case of the 11.00s. Those G177s look decent as well. Just curious, since you seem to be quite knowledgeable - what kind of top speed did you get out of your rig running those tires?

Still looks pretty nice as well. I love the look of the 395s, but they come with a whole slough of considerations and **** I need to modify as well.

peashooter

Jesse Katz lives near you (same city I think) and had a ton of Mrap wheels & tires not long ago. I don't have his contact info any longer and I don't think he is s member on here anymore but you can track him down through his/his brothers website I'm sure: www.gatosbros.com. I have no idea on price but it would be close and they have enough trucks and trailers that they could probably deliver even.

Last edited:

yarry23

Thanks Peashooter!

I'll see what I can dig up on him. Currently looking between 11.00-20s and the 395 MRAP options. Both good options it looks like.

I think really its going to come down to what is affordable and within budget and range. Really appreciate all of the help guys!

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuzzytoaster - you make some really strong arguments for the case of the 11.00s. Those G177s look decent as well. Just curious, since you seem to be quite knowledgeable - what kind of top speed did you get out of your rig running those tires?

Still looks pretty nice as well. I love the look of the 395s, but they come with a whole slough of considerations and **** I need to modify as well.
I did it to lower RPM more so than top speed but Jeepsinker is dead on with the numbers.

red

Anyone know if these guys are reputable?

http://www.planbsupply.com/#!tires/cxxe

Website claims they have MRAP wheels with the XZLs mounted for $395 ea, adapter available. Sounds suspiciously like what I need.
Their price tag of $395 does not include the adapter plate.

I drove mine on 395" s from west Texas up to northern Utah this spring/summer at 54mph, no issues from the tires. I've already sold the adapter plates but would be willing to sell the tires/wheels

rustystud

Great responses. Thank you so much!

So, if I am reading this correctly, the consensus thus far is that I should:
  • Go with MRAP wheels with tire, bead-locks and run-flat inserts
  • Will need to get adapters to make work with my hubs.
  • 395s are great tires, just make sure they are on the right wheel.

Does that sum it up?

Where would I find this very-intriguing-I-would-love-to-have-it adapter to allow me to run MRAP wheels?
I know everyone thinks I don't like the 395's but I actually do ! Their a great tire, just extremely expensive to run. Also like Jeepsinker said you wouldn't have made it out of the desert on singles with two flat tires. I would go with the 11.00X20's myself. The G177 are extremely good tires and don't need expensive rims and adapters.

red

Cost depends on location. I did the 395 conversion on the deuce for the same price as going to g177's. That's including the adapter plates, 1" bolts, and new studs on 5 hubs (converted to right hand thread lug studs).

gunboy1656

Another point I didnt see mentioned is these are going to be on a box truck. I dont think the 395's will fit with the shelter on the back, not a lot of extra room compared to the stock bed for wheel travel. When I do get to buy a set for mine I am going with the G177's for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks