• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to find cheap Deuce

180baseball

So recently I was exposed to a deuce and got infected with the deuce and a half bug. I'm on a pretty tight budget, but I would really love to own my M35A2. I've been searching the classifieds and government auctions and have seen a few deuces go for under $2K. Is that fairly common? Like I said, I'm new to military trucks so don't know much as prices are concerned. I was looking to keep the cost under two grand, and a little rust or aesthetic issues don't bother me. Could you please point in both right direction of some cheap deuces? Just for he record, I live in western PA and I'd be willing to make a 6 hour trip at most. - - Thanks for helping out, 180

ATPTac

I highly doubt you will find an even decent condition running truck for that much. I can't speak for your area necessarily, but around here in NC the cheapest I've seen a running Deuce go for was $3200, and it wasn't drivable (brake issues).

180baseball

I've seen mulitple on Government Liquidatin go for $1900. It says they ran nicely, but that's the seller speaking, so... Anyways, do you know of any places to look regarding cheap deuces? Also, how much should I expect to pay for a running one?

61sleepercab

Like buying a tractor , my DAD said you are buying the tires and running gear when you are getting a Deuce. You are really taking a chance when bidding on GL or GSA auctions sight unseen as GSA deuces seem to be fire department or forestry turn ins. A bad motor or transmission or transfer case will sink the dream real quick.
You are in a good state as there are auctions in Pa, Ohio, and DC area to watch. I would not want to ride shotgun on a recovery from California or Maine.

Do not get in a hurry and watch around. I found within 10 miles of my farm a M49 dressed as a M35a2 with 6000 miles on a rebuild and recent local repairs in your price range. I would watch local trader guide type papers, local VFD , county and city surplus sales. A local auction may be cheaper that a national internet auction were the bidding sharks circle in the thousands. Good Luck Keep up posted. Mark

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 or 6 years ago you could get a decent deuce for 2 grand , thats about what they will bring for scrap now . Realisticly now your $4000 on up for a running driving deuce . Except for a few stragglers they are all pretty much surplused out and prices are reflecting that.

RAYZER

Average price for a good runner in 2010 was around $2,500.00, today for the same truck $5,000.00 - $6,500.00! They have been good investments!

ATPTac

You don't think there are any deuces on GL that run great and slip by for 2K?
Not likely, unless its mislabeled and nobody takes notice of it. Deuces (A2's in particular) are becoming very scarce on GL, when they do pop up they usually go for a premium or are in very rough shape. Couple in the 10% fee and all the other "hassles" of dealing with GL, you would probably be better off buying from a private seller.

welldigger

Keep in mind by the time you get done fixing things a $2000 truck will become a $4000 truck really fast. Not trying to scare you away. Just be aware of what your getting into.

barefootin

As was said in a prior post. A few years ago a $2K-$3K Deuce was possible, but after doing the appropriate PM's and updating you were into the purchase for a total around 4K+. In todays market, I'd expect to spend $4K to $6K+ for one and another 1K+ going over it making sure it is up to date on PM's and as safe as it can be. I know what $$ I put into mine for peace of mind, and I would never get it back if I sold it. However, my safety and the safety of others is well worth the investment.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A few years ago I bought four deuces for a grand each through GL at Little Rock, AR. My buddy got another one out of that lot for 1200. I shipped two of them back and flat towed one back with the other one. My buddy followed me back in his. There were over fifty trucks in that sale at that location and they went cheap. Those days are long gone. If your budget is that tight be aware that other issues can bite you on the caboose. Insurance is a biggie depending on your age and where you are. Diesel fuel is not getting any cheaper although you can run some alternative fuel but you will devote time and expense there also. It will cost over a hundred bucks to fill one up on a good day. There may also be issues with parking it depending on where you live. There have been many horror stories here about folks who got their dream truck only to find out they now possess a nightmare. Be careful what you wish for.

Flyingvan911

I say save up and buy a good truck to begin with. It will save you money and work in the long run. If you don't mind a project, that's different. However, the tow bill for a non running truck may be huge.

Sephirothq

I have some trucks in central Pa for sale, with titles and that are good strong runners that you should be able to drive home no problem, just not for $2000. The last set of axles i sold I got $1500 for, so a running driving truck is about $5000 anymore. That is what the market is for them right now.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of years ago I paid $1600 for a parts Deuce with a bent frame. The days of the cheap Deuces are long gone. You may get lucky and find a cheap one but bets are it is someone else's headache and needs a lot of work. What ever you pay, plan on another $1000 to bring it up to serviceable condition. I have bought dozens of them and I know what it takes.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

You aren't going to find one for $2000. Just the way it is. I wish I could say save up and buy one, but the prices are climbing faster than most people can save these days. You may be able to score a five ton at auction within your budjet still if you are lucky.
edit: Or do some hustling!

Cruceno

There's currently a Deuce for sale on craigslist near me thats listed at $2.2k, but it is stripped and riddled with rust from saltwater and spray. Its missing its bed and doors, and the tires are dry rotting. Seller says it runs, but I'm sure it hasn't been serviced in anyone's recent memory.

Point being that there may currently be Deuces out there for ~$2k...but you'll have to fork over at least that for a safe, reliable ride.

FloridaAKM

I picked the wrong time to buy one also, so I feel your $$$$ pain. They are out there, but the price range starts about $4000.00 for a fixer upper & goes up the better condition they are! Should have bought one years ago has always bit me in the posterior!

np2ij

A neighbor of mine in FL and fellow SS member has one for sale. it was purchased from another SS member. in good shape and well maintained.
Not $2000,..$8500 obo.. btw.. i am an uninterested party.. mine is not for sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks