• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Neutral tow????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattwspeed

This is prob a stupid question but I'm lost.... How do you neutral tow a 900 series when there is no air pressure? The rear brakes lock with no air so what do you have to do to tow it?... Wanting to buy some parts trucks and tow them home!... The only thing I can think of is "that's what the front glad hands are for" but what if I'm using a wrecker or f650 or if the brake lines are bad on the parts truck? Is a flat bed and winch my only option? Is there a way to manually disengage the rear brakes?

EO2NMCB

If they are like a civ truck with air brakes, it's a T handle tool that you insert into the brake pancake and turn to cage them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Caging is a very known subject among those that know air brakes. I would suggest doing some web searches regarding air brakes and caging. You have some learning ahead of you. Yes, the answer is out there.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As EO2 said the cage bolts are mounted on the brake chamber in there own little holder and if your lucky they will be there if not NAPA.
Any truck with air brakes needs to have these in there holder so they will be there if you ever need them. Also the chamber covers need to be there to keep the dirt out as it's a real pain if they fill with dirt.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This is prob a stupid question but I'm lost.... How do you neutral tow a 900 series when there is no air pressure? The rear brakes lock with no air so what do you have to do to tow it?... Wanting to buy some parts trucks and tow them home!... The only thing I can think of is "that's what the front glad hands are for" but what if I'm using a wrecker or f650 or if the brake lines are bad on the parts truck? Is a flat bed and winch my only option? Is there a way to manually disengage the rear brakes?
How is that done?... Is there a YouTube video maybe?
It OBVIOUS that you have NOT read the -10 for the truck you have, I would SUGGEST you read it BEFORE you attempt to drag anything else home, other wise you may end up with ONLY parts trucks.

You spent a lot of money for the trucks, the TMs are FREE from the SITE, so "I can NOT aford them" does not fly

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Ron said, read the TM. We caged a 915 last year. Easy and the bolt was right there in its holder on the air pot.

M1075

If the towed vehicle's brake system is complete & operational, then YES, you can use the glad hands to operate that vehicle's brakes like a trailer.

mattwspeed

I'm looking to buy "parts only trucks" as stated... Just needed to know if it could be done with a bad air system...so thanks for the help I will read the TM's and also check for a video... The smart A$$ reply's really help us new guys to the hobby, makes us really wanna ask for help. "Sarcasm". Some folks wanna help so thanks to those guys!

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to Matt, he's a good guy that was lost in looking through the 800 + pages. He had them printed, but not everyone knows that "Control F" in Adobe Reader gives you a search function. This was definately not a case of someone who just "blasted off a question". Sometimes, just offering to pick up the phone and explain a few things about the TMs goes a long way. Air systems just happen to be something I understand well ( I used to teach it for an OEM) and I don't mind helping someone decipher what they are reading. I am now stepping off my soap box.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'm looking to buy "parts only trucks" as stated... Just needed to know if it could be done with a bad air system...so thanks for the help I will read the TM's and also check for a video... The smart A$$ reply's really help us new guys to the hobby, makes us really wanna ask for help. "Sarcasm". Some folks wanna help so thanks to those guys!
You have been in the hobby for over a year, you are on your THIRD 939 truck, so you are hardly new to the hobby, you should have READ the TMs before you got your first truck, NOT reading if NOW because smart A$$ replays are forcing you to, we help those who TRY to help themselves, even help those who are to LAZY to help themselves only we add a bit of "smart A$$" to the reply.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand his frustration but I also understand why folks said as they did. If you're going to head on down the road with a 19,000# truck you should have a basic understanding of the brake system. Any truck driver is tested on this before he gets his license. We as hobbyists sometimes slip through that crack. The -10 operators manual is far from 800 pages and would give him great insight to the operations of his truck. The bottom line is that we don't want anyone hurt for something as simple as not understanding what they are driving. We would like all of the MV collectors to be around a while.

mattwspeed

Yes... Huge help... Thanks for the phone call and thanks for the vid... Was planning on dropping the drive shaft any way just to be safe good to know I was on the right track... I got this whooped now and the "control f" key is the ticket! No more paper pushing!

Status
Not open for further replies.