• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 12 V mod for my Deuce & other stuff

yolner

Thanks for the info. I've got a set of alternator brackets ready to go on the truck when I swap my harness out in the spring.

What I was actually curious about was the fording kit modification you mentioned. How does pressurizing the axles work?

oddshot

The fun stuff I added are a complete intercom system. It is GREAT to be able to talk in a normal voice and hear and be heard. Plus I added a music jack so I can listen to my phone AND iPod through the headset. The siren has all the sounds (for parades and working with a local fire department) plus a nice PA system that I was able to somewhat hide the speaker for that looks really good. Underneath the siren control I mounted a three place 12V plug for phones, iPods, chargers, etc.
I would love to put an intercom system in my truck and I've been looking at a number of options.

What are the parts/brands/costs of the stuff you used for your intercom system?

Can you link a car radio/cd player into it?

How about a CB radio?

Thanks

Oddshot

Lax

Thanks for the info. I've got a set of alternator brackets ready to go on the truck when I swap my harness out in the spring.

What I was actually curious about was the fording kit modification you mentioned. How does pressurizing the axles work?
Sorry about that. After I replied I wondered if maybe you were talking about the fording kit. opps.

There is some info on SS about it but basically I did this. Each axle has a vent. I unscrewed the vents and screwed in a hose connector with Teflon tape to seal it. Then I ran 3/8" fuel line hose to each of the vents, hose clamped it and with a few Ts put them into into one line that went to the regulator. I wanted to have a air line free for whatever I needed so I connected the regulator to the air line in the cab but I did it BEFORE the OEM connector on the truck so I would always have full pressure to the regulator even if I was using an air tool and I replaced the OEM connector with a quick connect as you can see.

I bought the regulator (Kobalt?) at Lowes in the air tool section but I don't like it much. It is rated for up to 150 psi or something and for our needs we only use about 3-4psi I think so you have to almost close it about 99% but I got it to work fine. I would much rather have found a regulator that was rated for 0-15 PSI but I could not find one. How I did mine seems to work. Just don't get your pressure above 10-15 PSI or you will blow all the grease out of your bearings I would think. (??) I am sure other will comment on this that know far more then I do. The other thing I did was to run a hose from the air compressor to the air filter canister. That buys me a lot more depth in the water. Hope that helps. Let me know if I can do anything else. Remember. I make no claim to be an expert and I am sure people will find problems with my set up. I just thought it up myself and it seems to work fine. Good luck!

Lax

Okay! Okay! I will get rid of the front tires!!! Haha. I am trying to find someone in the Upstate New York or Norther PA area that has 7 Michelin XZL 395/85R20 and can help me (or do it for me) single my Deuce out at a fair price. I really want to do it but I don't have the space or tools to single mine out myself. I really want to though!

I appreciate all your concern and keeping an eye on my safety. Thank you.

Lax

Oddsho,

Regarding the intercom I can help you out there too. I am a Private Pilot so I will let you in on a little secret. If you go to eBay and look up aviation intercoms you will find hundreds of them! I bought mine for under $50.00 US and it runs on a 9V battery or I can hard wire it to my new 12V system. It works GREAT! And yes you can plug anything you want into it as long as it comes with a "Axillary or Accessories" connection or "jack". Then look up aviation headsets and get a couple cheap ones and you are in business. It is so nice to travel down the road and be able to listen to your iPod, phone, CB radio, 2 way radio, etc. plus the person sitting next to you in a normal voice. Makes the trip 1000% better.

oddshot

Oddsho,

Regarding the intercom I can help you out there too. I am a Private Pilot so I will let you in on a little secret. If you go to eBay and look up aviation intercoms you will find hundreds of them! I bought mine for under $50.00 US and it runs on a 9V battery or I can hard wire it to my new 12V system. It works GREAT! And yes you can plug anything you want into it as long as it comes with a "Axillary or Accessories" connection or "jack". Then look up aviation headsets and get a couple cheap ones and you are in business. It is so nice to travel down the road and be able to listen to your iPod, phone, CB radio, 2 way radio, etc. plus the person sitting next to you in a normal voice. Makes the trip 1000% better.
Wow ... thanks.

What brand did you get ... I like the looks of that unit.

oddshot

Lax

Some of you guys have asked what kind of intercom I use. I have a portable intercom made by FlighCom. Even though the intercom is "portable" I have it hard mounted as you can see.

Lax

No problem 59apache. That is far better then any photos I could take of the bracket way down deep in the engine compartment. That's perfect.

Harleyrkc, I hope that helps. Take care.

Lax

Guys, I have to go to work but I will be back this afternoon and try to answer your questions. Just to be clear I did not convert the Deuce over to 12V. I just added a stand alone 12V system for any 12V items I want. It is completely separate from the 24V system. I think that is the beauty of it.

Lax

salvorone,
I posted more detail earlier in this thread about the intercom. A few guys have PMed me and I advised them to start shopping on eBay for a aviation intercom. What I suggested was to buy a "portable" intercom for two or four people. Of course you will need headsets too. Make sure you buy airplane headsets and not helicopter headsets. Airplane headsets have two plugs and helicopters have just one.

The intercom I have was made by FlightCom and I am very happy with it. Good luck!

joshuaz223

don't know where you are up here but i have plenty of tools and experience working on these trucks if you would like some help. not looking to take on a job but i like to help if i can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks