• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New! 2009 GA Rally Multimedia Thread

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was my first rally and I had a great time. Many thanks to Big Case for letting me ride in his Deuce on Friday. I met a lot of really great people and saw a lot of nice MVs. I also spent too much money on parts, but also received some very good information. I've now decided that I need to get a Gamma Goat. They were just coming into my unit when I was discharged in 71. Here are some photos I took. Unfortunately, I had to leave early on Saturday afternoon. I had no problems during the trek from and back to Hiawassee in my newly acquired M35A2 w/w.

Attachments

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Stupid me, been trying to upload videos for 2 days now and just realized the format is not supported, so going the youtube route, will post them here A.S.A.P.

jwaller

We would need some VRC12 radios for the range. As far as trail communications, FRS radios are good and cheap. I use Powercom headsets as an intercom in my trucks. FWIW, JW4x4 and I talked the whole time on the trail Saturday and we were in different trucks. I had 4 pairs with me and JW had a pair too! I don't know the range of a PRC77 since it has lower power than say and RT524. I'm pretty sure that the RT524 on high power would do 25 miles in that terrain. They say in ideal conditions on high power, they will do up to 50 miles. ChevyC60 was at the rally and he is a green radio guy, how bout it Roy?

I had my 524 and 442 working in the V. just didn't know anybody else was up and running.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, any chance of getting you there on Friday next year? You have to admit, you were a little late.

jwaller

John, any chance of getting you there on Friday next year? You have to admit, you were a little late.
ya
I don't have a problem with that. I was planning to get there early this year but I had to work till4am fri night/sat morn and I wasn't going to drive the ~3hrs in a hmmwv dead tired by myself. That is one downside to being an on call freight pilot. You have to go when the call comes in.

I wanted badly to do the trail rides but it just wasn't meant to be.

salafrae

Hey guys! Sorry for the delayed post, been a bit busy around here since the rally. Now that Scoot is back up north though I have some time to post all the pics from the rally.

First off I want to say that I had such a wonderful time meeting everyone, it was great just being able to stand around and chat with you fine folks- never mind all the fun to be had with all that GA red clay and some big steel toys. :p

Clinto- Amazing job, really and truly. :)

Big Case- Thank you SO much. You really made the whole trip a million times more fun then I could have ever imagined. Anytime you need a sidekick let me know. No mud bank is too tall! Haha.

Poppop- Seriously, the peanuts were out of this world amazing. :D

SCSG-G4, Gimpyrobb, Wreckerman893, Pjpiche1- I had a wonderful time chatting with each of you. And am quite looking forward to running into you all sometime in the future.

And a big thanks to everyone else who I met as well.

And now... Picture time! (should be a few good posts worth)

:grin:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's GREAT NEWS, mdmorgan! Very happy for you!:-D

poppop

My checkbook is history. Already called the bank and paid the fee to stop payment on those checks if someone finds them and tries to use them. I put it under my bed which is level with the bed side. It must have vibrated over the side on my way home.

Salafrae, I am glad you injoyed the peanuts. Even Amy learned to like them a little after that initial EEEEEW, their mushy, they are supposed to be crunchy. She even ate mustard greens and real peas, not those wimpy sweet peas she was used to. Oh yea, she even tried grits, although not the first morning when I fixed cheese grits just for her to ease her into them. She was late to breakfast that morning.:-D

salafrae

Well you certainly know how to do up some good ol' southern cookin', so if anyone was going to ease her into it- it would be you! Great stuff. Gonna have to find a way for you to fed ex me some peanuts. haha!