• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New! 2009 GA Rally Multimedia Thread

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, my wife just noticed the new M1008 in the side yard. Picked it up on my way to the rally. Needless to say, I'll be sleeping alone tonight. Anyone want to buy an M59 gasser dump? I think it's going to have to go to keep harmony here at the house. Look at it this way, it may get saved from the dastardly multifuel conversion. Had I been able to forecast all this, I would have sold some of my other goodies at the rally.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the rest of the camp pictures. Next is unloading the rest of the stuff from the truck! (food came out last night).

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I made it home with battery power to spare. Here are some notes and thankees:

AM General....the tune up made all the difference in the world...me and Baricade (Mark) made it back in good time. You are da man.

TO ALL THE FOLKS THAT HELPED WITH KP.......Tim's wife Pam was my adult supervision..she tirelessly cleaned dishes, prepped food, told me where eveything was I "missplaced" and was a God send. She also had to take care of Tim who came down with a bug (not my cooking, I swear).
I am lousy with names but there were several folks that washed dishes, peeled taters, and put up with my bossy directions (you can't take the Sergent out of me). These folks freed me and Mike up so we could concentrate on the meals.
They did this under the most primitive conditions and often in the dark.
This was eased when Big Case loaned us his genny and AM General supplied the portable lights.
Big Case never hesitated when we asked his assistance for something.
I CAN NOT THANK YOU GUYS ENOUGH.
Mike and I made enough to repay us for the supplies and we had a nice profit that was given to Clinto for next years rally.
It was pointed out by several folks that I missed all the trail rides since I was doing meals.
I'm not much into mudding and this was a labor of love on my part. Taking care you you folks was like taking care of my soldiers.....that is what I miss most about the Army...my soldiers.
I was happy to do it and I'm sure Mike was too.
We are already planning for next year and we will have a mess facility that will knock your socks off.
Big Case horse traded me out of the PA system but we have a back up if he can't make it next year (I had two of them). If he shows up we will have four speakers to play Revelee on. :)
This was the best rally yet and next year it can only get better.
To Clinto and Dawn.......thanks for another super event.
I'll post my pics later.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all,

I just woke up from getting back home at 0600 this morning...Chris and I got stuck for about an hour in traffic in TN, and hauling the "Wendy's Tipple Stack" trailer set-up home took longer than expected.

I didn't take hardly any pictures because I was just having too much fun, but I really am surprised after 5 pages of pics, I have not seen one of the "Beverly Hillbilly Mobile" we drove home yet.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
[[/quote]Last years turn around spot was badly washed out but gimpyrob thought he could make it. When he failed and tried to back out his right front wheel fell into a very deep washout. the truck was so badly twisted that diesel fuel gushed from the tank and we thought it was rupshured. The cab shifted so much it pinched the battery cables and smoke gushed out. They yelled for fire extenquishers but before the three that were racing down could get there the crisis was over. Gimps truck was badly wedged and had to be double blocked with a full spool of cable lt out and tied to a tree to be pulled free. I was surprized that when the truck was winched to flat ground it started right up and drove out on its on power with only some minor bends.
I got this on video, will try to post soon.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
poppop said:
Last years turn around spot was badly washed out but gimpyrob thought he could make it. When he failed and tried to back out his right front wheel fell into a very deep washout. the truck was so badly twisted that diesel fuel gushed from the tank and we thought it was rupshured. The cab shifted so much it pinched the battery cables and smoke gushed out. They yelled for fire extenquishers but before the three that were racing down could get there the crisis was over. Gimps truck was badly wedged and had to be double blocked with a full spool of cable lt out and tied to a tree to be pulled free. I was surprized that when the truck was winched to flat ground it started right up and drove out on its on power with only some minor bends. Big case got his truck wedged against a tree at one of the worst climbs. He had to be winched sideways to get him off the tree and then drove around the hill and made it out. Several trucks bent front bumpers on that obstical and then another bumper got bent when it encountered a tree at another bad spot. We all had a blast and I am sorry more of you could not make it.
poppop,

Gimp's deuce was wedged in there pretty bad alright, I was doing the driving when that episode went down, believe it or not, the cable that got pinched was just a small wire for a 12 volt plug he installed before the trip...once the wire burned off it cleared itself right up.

We were going to try to go out the bottom of the ravine but it was so badly washed out there was no way we were making that trip...that's when we decided to back up and try the turn around.

Also, as mentioned several times, this was an AWESOME rally, Mike and Richard did a fantastic job on the food, I met a ton of the best people on earth, and had the time of my life.

I can't wait till scooter gets his videos posted of the stepped hill climb, and the goat coming out of the ravine when I had gimps truck hung up.

I CAN"T WAIT TO DO IT ALL AGAIN NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Naw, I'll go ahead and keep this one and get rid of the M59. I'd sure like to send someone this M880 (at their expense).

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got in. "Special Ed MON!" is on his way home. Got lots to unpack and organise tomorrow.

Gimp,

I finally rolled into home at 0600. I was about 1/2 hour out of C-bus and couldn't take it any longer, I had to park for an hour and catch some shut-eye...but I made it home in one piece to see the smiling faces of me lovely wife and daughter when they woke up.

Thanks for dragging my sorry butt along and allowing me to get your truck hopelessly stuck. This had to be one of the best weekends of my life.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck wasn't hopelessly stuck, just unable to move at the time. Had it been hopelessly stuck, everyone would have pulled out there Harbor Freight gas powered winches and we could have has a 30 line pull up the hill.

poppop

Posting up the las of my pictures.

Attachments

poppop

The last shot in this group is jw4x4. As you can see he got his leg shut in the door. He figured if he left it in it would stop the bleeding and he could finish the ride before having it seen about.

Attachments

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was my first SS rally and WOW what a great time! Sure was nice to meet so many of you. The food was excellent....what a dedicated bunch to do all that for us!!!!!!

I'll add a few pics showing the Hiab crane in action, the big stuck (with "Sam" pushing the truck out!!), the big hole, other odds and ends. I got lots of truck pics too but they all look like everyone else's! I especially enjoyed the smile in that photo of "happiness is driving a big truck"!

I even got home to East TN in the Unimog with no spare tire! Thanks guys for the effort to find one for me.

Bob

Attachments

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob,

Those are some awesome angles you got of the "Burying of Gimps deuce" I did....do you have any more? I also saw you snapping some of the trucks on the first mudder course, I'll bet those turned out good.

I'm still surprised nobody has any posted yet with the "stepped" hill climb, that we had to take turns sending the trucks up over it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Here are my pics.
I forgot to thank Poppop (fresh peas, greens and boiled p-nuts), Tony Wright (deer meat {what did you think was in the SOS:twisted:}) and the other folks that contributed food and supplies to the "Mess Hall). Next year we will be more organized.

Attachments

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the pics, all!! I REALLLLLLLLY wanted to go but had to sell some toys at the New Orleans gun show to pay for my M818 repair :cry:.

So....when is the date for next year ???!! I want to mark it on my calendar.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks