• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NEW 5 ton WRECKER FTV M1089A1

nf6x

Feral Engineer
RE: fifth wheel wrecker

I've never seen anything like that 5th wheel wrecker before. So neat!

Does that 5th wheel wrecker need to connect to a PTO-driven hydraulic pump, or is there a hand pump hidden in there somewhere?

From the looks of that, it's not meant to pivot at the 5th wheel like a regular semitrailer, and the towed vehicle will pivot at the underlift point instead. I don't see anything in there to keep it from rotating around the 5th wheel, though. Are there missing parts, or just stuff that I don't see in the photos?

Hmm, looks like the weight of the towed vehicle would pull upwards on the 5th wheel with the approach ramps serving as the fulcrum, rather than pushing downwards like a regular semitrailer. I hope those bolts are good and tight... ;)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: fifth wheel wrecker

Great images of the m1089 Matt.
Interesting to see so many commercial adoptations, we should make a list. :)
Textured steering wheel finish, S$S (?) on the horn button, styled instruments, even the color coding of the glad hands...
Where is the BO driving light?
I like the compact low profile crane, not a K-boom, but still.
Notice the inclinometer?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, interesting use of the 5-th wheel, perhaps you should move those images to a separate thread, I think the M1089 deserves some discussion with the detailed images provided....

TacticalTruck

If anyone has infomation as to how the bar is tooked to the towed vehicle on this rig, i would be interested due to the similarity of my 5th wheel wrecker boom.
jeff

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Jeff!
I may have some pictures of the hook-up. Had to format the puter, so it'll be a day or so untill everything is back up and running, including the scanner.

5tonpuller

hook ups

TacticalTruck said:
Uncle Sugar has plenty of our tax dollars to run them. Here's the surplus version. I test fit it today.
as with the hemit and the M1089a1 they have different hook ups for the different trucks. In the hemit TM it shows the different hooks and how to use them. more pieces to the puzzle.
I think it is just more stuff to worry about and carry. A tow bar set up I still think is easyer to use. NEW things new ideas.
Matt

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: hook ups

The FMTV wrecker looks like it's never been used! I see that type of 5th wheel mounted tow device all lth time. Alot of the larger trucking outfits use them to attach to their own tractors and tow a disabled truck back to their own in house repair facillity. JB Hunt, Mount , Yellow are just a few that have them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks