• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Advertiser

ida34

This has all brought up a good point. I usually just type in the url instead of clicking through. Some others have brought this up. I too will start clicking through instead of typing direct so that the stats work right. Is there anyway to start a list of advertiser's with click through links? Then you would not have to wait for the right one to show up at the top.

mangus580

ida34 said:
This has all brought up a good point. I usually just type in the url instead of clicking through. Some others have brought this up. I too will start clicking through instead of typing direct so that the stats work right. Is there anyway to start a list of advertiser's with click through links? Then you would not have to wait for the right one to show up at the top.
Not sure if I can do that in a manner that would hit the statistics.... I can look into it.

rmgill

Re: re: new advertiser

surpdlr said:
Just a heads up to the Steel Soldiers community.

Due to the new advertiser (GL) **** at ********, and Jeff at Front Line Military Vehicles have removed our respective pop up ads. We appreciate your past and future business.
Jeff, That's a banner ad. Not a popup. Popups are a new window that "pops up" in front of you on the web page. Those are annoying.

I will say, that as a potential customer, I find your reaction to another ad on this web site as a rather disappointing display of pettiness.

TedG

I have said it before and I will say it again and again...Thanks Chris for a great site! This IS the best mv site on the internet, period.

Regards,

Ted Gates

ida34

mangus580 said:
Not sure if I can do that in a manner that would hit the statistics.... I can look into it.
I am sure this would boost stats. I think several other people go by direct link instead of clicking through SS. I would take the extra time if it helps support the site by giving advertisers an accurate count of hits from SS. Anything you can do on it is appreciated. I want to make sure I am supporting places that support SS.

All SS staff is doing a good job. Keep it up. I appreciate your efforts.

mangus580

mangus580 said:
Many of you have noticed that Saturn Surplus's advertising has stopped. There is a lot of speculation as to why, and this message is to put an end to the rumors.

Saturn has been a faithful sponsor of Steelsoldiers pretty much since the creation of the site. They have been by our side though it all, and have helped provide funding to stay afloat. Their 'contract' so to speak recently ended. In conversation with Mark at Saturn, he expressed to me that he no longer wishes to advertise. This is for a couple of reasons:

1: We have raised the price of the monthly ad
2: We were his only remaining advertisement he paid for
3: He does not wish to advertise in the same spot as GL for PERSONAL reasons
4: He feels that we have grown to the point where he no longer needs to assist us with advertising.

I agree to all his reasons, and understand his decision. No one point above has any strength over any other. He had mostly made his decision prior to the GL ad, it just had not come to light yet. While I suspect that may have been his tipping point, it is certainly not what started him down that process. I recall when I worked with them on the advertising back in 2005/2006, they were unsure if they wanted to continue even at that point.

I would like to thank Mark & Jay for all their help, time, money they have provided to Steelsoldiers over the years. I hope that our membership can continue to support them as they always have, as a gratitude for what they have provided us.

I am very happy that we can move on with our ventures in the proffesional manner that we are, and that we can part ways as friends.

While I understand the recent talk about Boycotting vendors who pulled their ads, I request that you consider this Thanks before doing so with Saturn.

Thanks again Mark & Jay!
I dont want this missed.

dc3coyote

ALL RIGHT!!!!!
This is getting iratating, Chris can take ad money from who he wants, as long as this is a free site. We are guests enjoying his, and Magnuss' work. Unless you want to pay monthly dues, and memberships then we have no say beyond "it would be nice if"

Oh yea "hitchhikers do not get to mess with the radio."
Branan

surpdlr

mangus580 said:
mangus580 said:
Many of you have noticed that Saturn Surplus's advertising has stopped. There is a lot of speculation as to why, and this message is to put an end to the rumors.

Saturn has been a faithful sponsor of Steelsoldiers pretty much since the creation of the site. They have been by our side though it all, and have helped provide funding to stay afloat. Their 'contract' so to speak recently ended. In conversation with Mark at Saturn, he expressed to me that he no longer wishes to advertise. This is for a couple of reasons:

1: We have raised the price of the monthly ad
2: We were his only remaining advertisement he paid for
3: He does not wish to advertise in the same spot as GL for PERSONAL reasons
4: He feels that we have grown to the point where he no longer needs to assist us with advertising.

I agree to all his reasons, and understand his decision. No one point above has any strength over any other. He had mostly made his decision prior to the GL ad, it just had not come to light yet. While I suspect that may have been his tipping point, it is certainly not what started him down that process. I recall when I worked with them on the advertising back in 2005/2006, they were unsure if they wanted to continue even at that point.

I would like to thank Mark & Jay for all their help, time, money they have provided to Steelsoldiers over the years. I hope that our membership can continue to support them as they always have, as a gratitude for what they have provided us.

I am very happy that we can move on with our ventures in the proffesional manner that we are, and that we can part ways as friends.

While I understand the recent talk about Boycotting vendors who pulled their ads, I request that you consider this Thanks before doing so with Saturn.

Thanks again Mark & Jay!
I dont want this missed.
Ok, I get the point, Saturn Surplus Good, Front line Military Vehicles Bad.
Sorry to have wasted your time with my banner ads..... I will just go back to selling surplus.

chevycrew

This is getting out of hand, its a lot to read.

Im done with this thread, THANK YOU to Chris and the Mods.

And the overwhelming support of users.

Thanks again....

p.s. can someone lock this thread?.... :deadhorse:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
surpdlr said:
Ok, I get the point, Saturn Surplus Good, Front line Military Vehicles Bad.
You are what you make of yourself.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thank God we can still get MV's for a fraction of the origial and even current value. I think GL is a good thing and we should not hit too hard against them as they are the US Government contractor that gets the DRMO items to us. Sure I would not mind going back to the old DRMO sales but then I missed any sale that was not local. Having them here helping us with this GREAT web site is a plus and I like seeing the items scroll past too maybe I am just too simple.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, I need to stop working for a living and check this site more often!

My random thoughts after reading almost all of the 7 preceding pages.

--I don't like GL's advertising here, but they are in business to make money, so I understand it.

--This will drive up prices on the advertised lots.

--The agreement conflicts with the sites policy to not post about auctions.

--The site is becoming a business and needs more revenue to stay afloat.

--This is what happens when you transition from hobby to business.

--Anyone who thinks their taxes will go down as surplus prices go higher is kidding themselves (and hopefully joking here - I'm pretty sure DDoyle was).

--While the details are not known to me, I would hope that SS did not break agreements with other supporting advertisers to make this happen. That's low.

--This site is owned by Chris and is free to users, but all forum web sites, including this one, are nothing without their membership.

--I am not shocked by the reaction to this. Chris, I am surprised that you were.

And finally...
--If SS gets revenue from the ad based on clicks, I will CLICK THE HECK OUT OF IT. I don't understand why you guys would not do the same?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this true...SS gets money based upon the number of hits on the GL ad? I hope so...I just clicked on about 15 different ads and I intend to do so every time I get on the site. I encourage every one else to do the same.

mangus580

BKubu said:
Is this true...SS gets money based upon the number of hits on the GL ad? I hope so...I just clicked on about 15 different ads and I intend to do so every time I get on the site. I encourage every one else to do the same.
If you read my previous reply on this... the DO NOT. they pay a monthly FLAT RATE.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mangus580 said:
BKubu said:
If you read my previous reply on this... the DO NOT. they pay a monthly FLAT RATE.
I must have missed that when I dozed off on page 6 or so...

Will you be attempting to negotiate the future flat rate based on the click-through rate?

I'd hate to think the convenience doesn't have some other benefit.

mangus580

CUCVFAN said:
mangus580 said:
BKubu said:
I must have missed that when I dozed off on page 6 or so...

Will you be attempting to negotiate the future flat rate based on the click-through rate?

I'd hate to think the convenience doesn't have some other benefit.
I have no intention of it. Click-throughs are a pain to track, with bots scanning the site and such. Makes the stats slightly inaccurate. I think it does a disservice to both us & them to charge in that method.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks